FA Cup 3rd Round - Birmingham City v Newcastle

wykikitoon

NUFC v BCFC  

31 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Aye to be fair I doubt it was his call, he'd have been in a lot of pain and since he costs a fucking fortune it's better to just stretcher him off when they're unsure of the extent of the injury rather than have him attempt to walk/hobble or whatever else off.

As for the oxygen it's just them trying to make him comfortable in all, he may even be squeamish or something. I'm just glad it's not as bad as it first was feared even though it's in an utterly shite place so will require a canny while to heal properly.

The result is crap since it forces a replay, I was saying I'd take a loss as it'd get us out of the cup before the game but of course once we kicked off I was only wanting a win and while I think we controlled large parts of the game it didn't sound like we produced many chances. I know it was only predominately our back ups out there but it shows how much we need creative players as we're really just relying on Shelvey and Ritchie.

Think Rafa will be rightly frustrated with what sounded like another lapse in concentration by our defence close to half time, they'd been doing a decent job at staying alert at times they were losing concentration earlier on in the season. I'd like to see Elliott get a start in the replay as Sels really doesn't seem worth persisting with, Darlow is better at a similar age and I've not seen or heard anything from Sels to make me think he has a higher potential than Darlow.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aye to be fair I doubt it was his call, he'd have been in a lot of pain and since he costs a fucking fortune it's better to just stretcher him off when they're unsure of the extent of the injury rather than have him attempt to walk/hobble or whatever else off.

As for the oxygen it's just them trying to make him comfortable in all, he may even be squeamish or something. I'm just glad it's not as bad as it first was feared even though it's in an utterly shite place so will require a canny while to heal properly.

The result is crap since it forces a replay, I was saying I'd take a loss as it'd get us out of the cup before the game but of course once we kicked off I was only wanting a win and while I think we controlled large parts of the game it didn't sound like we produced many chances. I know it was only predominately our back ups out there but it shows how much we need creative players as we're really just relying on Shelvey and Ritchie.

Think Rafa will be rightly frustrated with what sounded like another lapse in concentration by our defence close to half time, they'd been doing a decent job at staying alert at times they were losing concentration earlier on in the season. I'd like to see Elliott get a start in the replay as Sels really doesn't seem worth persisting with, Darlow is better at a similar age and I've not seen or heard anything from Sels to make me think he has a higher potential than Darlow.

Yeah it might not be the worst thing ever for our glaring lack of cutting edge to be highlighted so prominently right now. A window and a half to do something about it before next season.

HF has gone mad with Power.

If we don't beat Birmingham now, the fault lies at his feet alone. Either Wykiki's or my thread guaranteed success, but with HF's interference we're running the risk of fucking this one up.

Didn't start it, but interfered enough to taint it so we drew.

Sorry lads (and lass).

Someone (and only one) start the Brentford thread with a public poll please.  Let's make sure I'm not forced to derail our season entirely.

Yeah it might not be the worst thing ever for our glaring lack of cutting edge to be highlighted so prominently right now. A window and a half to do something about it before next season.

I'm not disputing that we could do with strengthening in most departments on the pitch but to suggest we've got a "glaring lack of cutting edge" is a blatant distortion. Because it's not perfect it doesn't meant that its total shit either. We're the highest scorers in England ffs.

To be honest, I think there's a degree of inflexibility to Rafa's approach that's costing us. 

He's pragmatic and meticulous and that's why we're having a good season, but I think he lacks the arrogance to play 2 up front away from home against weaker sides.

I recall someone saying earlier on in the season that Rafa has always been particularly successful against bigger clubs (i.e. those who are prepared to attack rather than sit behind the ball). I'd expect that to be ideal for next year, but there's certainly an unwillingness on his part to really force the issue when we need a goal.

That said, one more game and Shelvey is back now, so let's just hope that we can squeak a win against Brentford and then move upwards and onwards.

Edited by Rayvin

To be honest, I think there's a degree of inflexibility to Rafa's approach that's costing us.

He's pragmatic and meticulous and that's why we're having a good season, but I think he lacks the arrogance to play 2 up front away from home against weaker sides.

So that'll be two strikers we can't get the ball to then?

I do sort of agree with you but I just don't think there's too much wrong. We've shown a full strength XI is more than good enough for this league but despite claims earlier in the season squad may not be as strong as some thought it was. The other side of that is Rafa is 3 months into a 3 year project and anyone either wanting or expecting keegan style football hasn't taken a lot of notice of him at his previous clubs. He's got a pragmatic, attritional style and he's unlikely to change too much.

So that'll be two strikers we can't get the ball to then?

I do sort of agree with you but I just don't think there's too much wrong. We've shown a full strength XI is more than good enough for this league but despite claims earlier in the season squad may not be as strong as some thought it was. The other side of that is Rafa is 3 months into a 3 year project and anyone either wanting or expecting keegan style football hasn't taken a lot of notice of him at his previous clubs. He's got a pragmatic, attritional style and he's unlikely to change too much.

Yeah, I've no problem with plan A being pragmatic and focused upon defence, but I'm concerned there isn't a reliable plan B. We've an embarrassment of riches for this league, so a cavalier 4-4-2 when we're missing the hollywood balls from Shelvey should still be too much for the likes of Blackburn. 

There might be an argument to say that if Rafa deviates from his system, the players will be less well versed in it. If we consider this year as a 'training' season, the more deeply they understand his philosophy, the better it should be applied next year.

It probably all comes down to whether or not you think we'll be promoted. If we're not changing the system, presumably Rafa is confident.

Shite match, not helped by the half empty ground. We were a long way below our best but not horrendous by any stretch, especially given the number of changes we made. We just couldn't really get going again after we scored, which was a pity cos we started really well. I though Murphy looked decent but we just couldn't get the ball up to him enough. Gouffran struggled when he came on, as he always does when he has to play through the middle. Tiote and Colback not a good partnership, not helped by Tiote's rustiness. It'll be interesting to see if Rafa intends on giving him any more games. Sels still looks low on confidence when he's coming for crosses.

No point in drilling the philosophy if it isn't the correct one in all situations. It would seem foolish not to also have a plan b.

Also true but then, you'd think Rafa would be aware of that. Which would beg the question of why he isn't adapting.

Are there any dates / times yet for the replay?

The replay is scheduled to take place at St. James' Park on Wednesday, 18th January with a 7.45pm kick-off.

No point in drilling the philosophy if it isn't the correct one in all situations. It would seem foolish not to also have a plan b.

Yes but as PL has said it might take a bit more time before Rafa has things set the way he wants. Considering the years of rubbish we've accumulated in the squad he's making do a lot for the time being. Which takes me back to my earlier point about it possibly being a good thing that the shortcomings are becoming painfully clear for all to see :whistling: Might make his transfer business aka building the long term project a bit more easier. 

Didn't we play 2 up front on Saturday?  Was a bit more concerned that the midfield contained two fullbacks and two defensive midfielders.  Although I think that comes from a lack of options.  We clearly need more creativity in midfield. 

3-5-2 might not be a bad shout with our players. hold tight deano

----------------Darlow

-------Clark--Lascelles---Dummett

Yedlin--Anita-Shelvey-Hayden---Atsu

----------------Ritchie

------------Mitro------Gayle

perhaps you'd have gouffran in for anita as one of the more advanced central midfielders? yedlin and atsu could both be decent wing backs because they've got pace to get up and down. i'd rather mbemba than dummet tbh. and i coudl see colback getting the nod from rafa in there too.