Brentford (a) 14/01/2017

The Fish

Brentford  

32 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He's got a big future ahead of him I think, some of the saves he's pulled off so far this season have been top draw. As a young keeper you want a solid defence in front of you and we haven't got it unfortunately.

Aye he's a great 'keeper. I seriously would not be surprised to see one of the big clubs come in for him. Sooner rather than later.

I think the complaining comes hand in glove with the borderline ugly expectations Rafa has brought. Personally I think he's bought shite but on the flip side has them oveperforming. Which is similar to his very successful Liverpool team so I think we should stop criticising certain selections and formations whilst we're top. I think some fans expected us to have 90% possession every game and go the season unbeaten. There'll be similar eyebrows raised in summer when some question the number or quality of signings, but he'll see us fine. Chill everyone, basically

Edited by TheGingerQuiff

Seems we struggled through apparently :lol:

Scored decent goals. But it clearer with each passing game this defense will need a complete revamp to cope at a higher level. Not catching too many of the games myself but it seems to be the general opinion. Are Lascelles and co playing rubbish in general or is it the tendency to make errors at crucial times? 

Funny how we're all complaining as we sit top of the pile, 7 points clear of the play offs with more than half the season gone. But there are clearly some issues with the squad. The defence would get destroyed in the top flight and we already know first teamers like colback, gouffran, dummet and Anita can't hack it up there - it exposes how shit this division is that we're top with those four starting most games.

Seems like Perez had a better game which is good because he's been awful recently. The ball for Murphy was sublime.

For all John Anderson's bleating on about two blatant pens for them, there was nothing shown on the highlights so I can only assume they weren't anywhere near as blatant as he thought.

You might say we should be showing a big superiority against a club the size of Brentford but apart from the fact that football doesn't always work like that, by the end of the game we were 8 players down from our usual match day squad with five of them being of our main attacking force. That's going to effect the ability of any team to play good football so I'm more than happy with the way it worked out. That said, I still think it's clear we need more attacking options.

NUFC To Score

0 - 

1 - The Fish, Dougle, Kevin Carr's Gloves, David Kelly, MiddleAgeCool, tooner, Holden McGroin, OTF

2 - Rayvin, rogerbarton, ewerk, strawb, Happy Face, StoneColdStephenIreland, Howay, Anorthernsoul, wykikitoon, scoobos, acrossthepond, aimaad22, barnabox, LooneyToony, @yourservice, Kitman, Dr Gloom

3 - Ant, Andrew, Jintsay, ohhh_yeah, Tom, Monkeys Fist

4+ - 

NUFC To Concede

0 - Ant, rogerbarton, ewerk, Dougle, strawb, Happy Face, Kevin Carr's Gloves, David Kelly, Howay, wykikitoon, Jintsay, OTF, ohhh_yeah, Tom, Monkeys Fist, barnabox

1 - The Fish, Rayvin, Andrew, StoneColdStephenIreland, Anorthernsoul, tooner, Holden McGroin, scoobos, acrossthepond, aimaad22, LooneyToony, Kitman, Dr Gloom

2 - @yourservice

3 - MiddleAgeCool

4+ - 

In the pub afterwards some of their lads were saying they should've had a penalty at some point but I couldn't and can't remember anything that sticks out, the sky highlights reel suggest similar as there's nothing on it. They felt they were good for a point, I think Burton were better tbh but there again Burton didn't hit the post at one each so I guess they've got got room to feel a bit unlucky.

We weren't very good again, but with half a side either injured,suspended or in Africa we still won. I think it's best summed up in my belief that we've got divi 2 players playing in divi 2. We can all pick out poor players, it's the usual suspects who will need an upgrade if we are to go up but Rafa's had one transfer window to sort nearly a decade of utter mediocrity from people who should never have had the power and positions they occupied under Ashleys stewardship. Just to add something a mate pointed out yesterday; there's a few promoted/promotion chasing teams seem to have a Murphy figure, a big lump who can score goals for fun at this level, Kermorgant at Reading did it at Bournemouth and Murray at Brighton. Darryl may end up being a very astute piece a business by Rafa.

Dr Gloom, on 14 Jan 2017 - 3:24 PM, said:
we'd be fucked if he got injured wouldn't we? he's the only cunt who scores

Yeah, you're not allowed in match threads any more. :nono:

The knee jerks on this message board are cringeworthy. We'll be going up comfortably

:aye:

Seems like Perez had a better game which is good because he's been awful recently. The ball for Murphy was sublime.
For all John Anderson's bleating on about two blatant pens for them, there was nothing shown on the highlights so I can only assume they weren't anywhere near as blatant as he thought.
You might say we should be showing a big superiority against a club the size of Brentford but apart from the fact that football doesn't always work like that, by the end of the game we were 8 players down from our usual match day squad with five of them being of our main attacking force. That's going to effect the ability of any team to play good football so I'm more than happy with the way it worked out. That said, I still think it's clear we need more attacking options.

Sounds like Perez was winning the ball as often as he was losing it, which while an improvement isn't great. If he could work out how he can keep possession in this league, despite his build, he'll blossom, I'm sure.

I think a lot of the problems we saw/heard yesterday were down to the injuries. Shelvey missing is obviously going to put more pressure on the defence as we're not controlling the play, Gayle going off means that their defence/midfield isn't as wary of our attack, 3 injury forced subs means that the 11 on the pitch won't be settled, may be less clear on and less drilled in their roles. And as we found out Gouffran wasn't, isn't and will never be a central midfielder. 

A good, if fortunate win against a team that many had written off but who are comfortably midtable, who've perhaps played above themselves as individuals but deserve to be where they are on merit. They've beaten title chasing teams, play off teams, the teams around them and those worrying about relegation. I think it's a little disrespectful to judge them on anything other than the table to be honest.

A fortunate win in difficult circumstances, but a win nonetheless.