Homecoming - Where to buy?

scoobos

Finally, after 10 years away - I'm coming home to newcastle to settle down and, hopefully, wind down.

Any particular areas you lot would recommend avoiding, or heading for?

I used to live in South Gosforth, loved the metro links and generally feel of the place. DIdnt mind the area near the hospital either, nor High heaton, which was alright , if not a bit heavy on stewdents.

Looking at LongBenton, benton, Gosforth and parts of Kenton , anyone got any opinions ?

Edited by scoobos

nah man, its me dream to come home.

Whats going on with you this year - is this some kind of new years resolution to go all Kafka on me? Or are you building up to an onslaught of "Bants" ?

Where's here anyway? Knightsbridge (or slough!)?

not really arsed as long as I can afford it and there's not going to be chavs with glubags stuck to their noses on the metro home when Im wankered on a friday night.

If that's your main criteria S Gosforth will probably do the job - I don't know it very well but I always had the impression it had a low charva population density - seems to be all professional types but fewer students than Jesmond, which is unbearable during term time but really nice July to September. I would have thought there'd be a fair jump in prices between Longbenton and S Gosforth mind. Weren't you living in Barbados or something like that? Why the fuck are you coming back, if you don't mind me asking?

Depends what you're after really. Benton / Forest Hall are really well linked in terms of public transport etc. and only a little bit further out than the likes of South Gosforth but are pretty much leafy suburbs. Heaton and South Gosforth are more 'urban' in you like with a much greater choice of places to eat and drink with decent boozers you can walk to with the likes of the Millstone and Brandling with the latter. None of them are particularly cheap like in terms of buying a place.

Edited by Alex

If that's your main criteria S Gosforth will probably do the job - I don't know it very well but I always had the impression it had a low charva population density - seems to be all professional types but fewer students than Jesmond, which is unbearable during term time but really nice July to September. I would have thought there'd be a fair jump in prices between Longbenton and S Gosforth mind. Weren't you living in Barbados or something like that? Why the fuck are you coming back, if you don't mind me asking?

Close, I live on Grand Cayman in the Cayman Islands. I'm coming back as the grass is always greener, and weather isn't everything ;) My first choice cities in the world to live in are Vancouver and Newcastle, and my wife can't get work in Vancouver so its Newcastle!

Sure its nice to have Caribbean beaches, but the island is 20 miles by 4, 60,000 people - and I miss the footie, banter, friday night piss ups on the town, the food - believe it or not! There's 3 beers I can drink here, all lagers, no real real ale.

In my opinion, Newcastle really is one of the best cities in the world, the only ones I like as much, or better are Sydney, Vancouver and perhaps Toronto. Like I say, the grass is always greener somewhere else, until you live there a few years.

Edited by scoobos

Thanks for the replies by the way, I'll look a bit more at Benton - I had a feeling it was a massive run down estate for some reason.

Longbenton has a big council estate, some bits are rough but not as bad as they were, some other bits are almost exclusively owned by people. Benton is canny posh though. And expensive. Most of it falls under a conservation area with loads of big period properties.

Close, I live on Grand Cayman in the Cayman Islands. I'm coming back as the grass is always greener, and weather isn't everything ;) My first choice cities in the world to live in are Vancouver and Newcastle, and my wife can't get work in Vancouver so its Newcastle!

Sure its nice to have Caribbean beaches, but the island is 20 miles by 4, 60,000 people - and I miss the footie, banter, friday night piss ups on the town, the food - believe it or not! There's 3 beers I can drink here, all lagers, no real real ale.

In my opinion, Newcastle really is one of the best cities in the world, the only ones I like as much, or better are Sydney, Vancouver and perhaps Toronto. Like I say, the grass is always greener somewhere else, until you live there a few years.

Having gone through a similar thought process before I came back from America, I can almost guarantee that you're endowing Newcastle with qualities that it only deserves from afar.

It's nice but there are tons of better places to live, and you might be in one.

Yeah I'm pretty sure I'm not though Gemmill, but I know exactly what you are saying.

I'd move to Canada in a heartbeat, I loved it when I was working there. 

I think its more who you are with , than where you are - and most of my mates are in Newcastle or (uncannily!) Newcastle in New South Wales Oz - and most of them want to move to the UK!

Edited by scoobos

Longbenton has a big council estate, some bits are rough but not as bad as they were, some other bits are almost exclusively owned by people. Benton is canny posh though. And expensive. Most of it falls under a conservation area with loads of big period properties.

Ah whoops I got Benton and Kenton confused!!!

Ah right nice one, I hope it goes well for you  :up:

Wideopen is where Toontastic's biggest names are hoovering up property these days.

My Mam, Dad and sister are thinking of moving there. Apparently the estate agents are now calling it the 'saga belt'.