Homecoming - Where to buy?

scoobos

I'd move back in a flash if jobs/life took us there (well, him, really - I can work from anywhere with vaguely functional internet). It's a lot nicer than lots of British cities, it's well enough connected, and it's reasonably near to a lot of brilliant countryside, which is the kind of shit that becomes more important as you get older and boringer.

(As a Gosforth lad I'd be looking on that side of town, but that probably goes without saying.)

Though obviously I might have a less romantic view if we hadn't missed the boat on buying a place in London. :D

Thanks,@@Rayvin - there are a few moving parts at play so it's no guarantee I'll take it even if I'm offered it. Though it sounds like it's mine to lose.

I went there last summer to do a proper recce and try to sell it to the wife but it didn't go exactly to plan. They have a real problem with unhinged homeless people. Makes you realise how important it is to have proper state provision for mental health that we take for granted in the uk. Apparently Regan cut funding to mental health institutions when he was governor. The result is you're never far from some intimidating, deranged crack addict pan handler stinking of piss and talking to themselves in SF city - even in the nice areas. All big cities have homeless people but it's something else in SF.

Salary negotiations are going to be another stumbling block because of sterling's slump - i'd need a massive rise now to make it worthwhile.

And the prospect of Trump in the White House doesn't make it more appealing either.

Still fancy it though. We would probably try to relocate to East Bay or Marin, which is a different world.

Edited by Dr Gloom

Wow, didn't know that stuff about homeless people and so on though... I can see why your wife would be concerned about this. It's an amazing city from everything I hear but yeah, maybe if you can sit just outside of it and commute in or something.

They won't pay him in dollars cos then the company bears the cost of currency fluctuations. Doing it this way, Gloom bears the cost.

His lunchtime bento box and mochachino will be costing him a different (but no less scandalous) amount every day.

the money that comes out of the bank atm is dollars, obvs. but the base salary is sterling because it's a UK company.

Ahh I'm with you now.

That should be an easy enough discussion though, they could just set the exchange rate for your salary payment at whatever it would have been 6 months ago rather than basing it on the live rate.

They won't pay him in dollars cos then the company bears the cost of currency fluctuations. Doing it this way, Gloom bears the cost.

His lunchtime bento box and mochachino will be costing him a different (but no less scandalous) amount every day.

Any fair minded company would honour the rate they intended to pay in the first instance. They have a dollar account if they're paying him in dollars, so they wouldn't incur any exchange rate costs for paying him. Admittedly it'd be a higher dollar amount, but ffs they must appreciate the position any of their staff would be in here.

The contract is to pay him in sterling at a certain rate. They're honouring that by paying him in sterling at that rate. :razz:

They're being fair by adjusting the exchange rate peg annually and letting him suffer the short term fluctuations in exchange rates.

Now that is just about enough from you.

that's why it's all up in the air. i'd be looking for a salary increase of about 30%, after what's happened to sterling, instead of the usual 10-15, which would result in a real terms pay cut. but if i got that they'd arguably insist on a big pay cut if i were to move back to the UK.

the one caveat is they offer a generous housing allowance on their expat package, which more or less takes care of rent. and i know this is what they're going to throw back at me if i dig in and try to demand an outlandish pay rise. 

The contract is to pay him in sterling at a certain rate. They're honouring that by paying him in sterling at that rate. :razz:

They're being fair by adjusting the exchange rate peg annually and letting him suffer the short term fluctuations in exchange rates.

Now that is just about enough from you.

:lol: Fair enough.

that's why it's all up in the air. i'd be looking for a salary increase of about 30%, after what's happened to sterling, instead of the usual 10-15, which would result in a real terms pay cut. but if i got that they'd arguably insist on a big pay cut if i were to move back to the UK.

the one caveat is they offer a generous housing allowance on their expat package, which more or less takes care of rent. and i know this is what they're going to throw back at me if i dig in and try to demand an outlandish pay rise. 

At the risk of angering Gemmill, that housing package was on the table with the original offer, and so you can still honestly claim you're 30% down on expected income.