Homecoming - Where to buy?

scoobos

Same for america as a whole imo - and that's why I really didnt enjoy it there at all. It really starts to get you down when you come from the UK with our welfare state and see how the average, nice , normal citizen will treat someone in that position as if they are not human.

You're also right about the buses, but its more about the weather being more temperate in winter so they dont have to "deal with" frozen dead homeless people on the subway grids, at 6am in January, than they are better looked after by the state or anything. (and I'm really not joking)

Also, don't get me wrong its great to work overseas for a bit - but make sure you factor in things like: you will be expected to take almost FUCK ALL holiday - get a good medicare package, don't go for standard or even +1 , they are not good enough - If I were you, I'd not try push for any special currency payment terms, get paid in USD and bring it home as gold if you have to ,  also try move to match a tax year, and return that way.

In all honesty I dont understand the sterling slump comment, I must be missing something - I'm paid in USD and its meant a 21% pay rise for me ? USD buys more sterling.

The positives are absolutely worth going for at least a year or two though, but to emigrate and live, you're going to need a lot of money and a very blind eye (especially as you approach retirement). IMO America is by no means the land of opportunity anymore.

you didnt ask, but if my threads getting derailed I'm going to act all knowledgable :)

Benton seems to be winning by the way - pretty nice houses there for 150k!!

i'm paid in sterling because it's a foreign posting with a UK company

• 5 years later...

Thought I'd update this for shits and giggles.

I ended up in Walkergate 

Not bad though, metro is 10 minutes each way to either St James or Tynemouth, and that'll do me nicely.

Edited by scoobos

27 minutes ago, scoobos said:

Thought I'd update this for shits and giggles.

I ended up in Walkergate 

Not bad though, metro is 10 minutes each way to either St James or Tynemouth, and that'll do me nicely.

You’ve also got two of the best breweries in Newcastle on your doorstep- Almasty and Anarchy are next door to each other behind Walkergate Metro. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Shiremoor?! You fucking pansy. :lol:

It's canny bad for gangs of charvers mind.  Once saw a charver lass just go up to a random bloke there and spit in his face, more than once. Nowt he could do, he could hardly twat her. 

Ahh fuck, I suppose I'll have to start using the metro again soon. 

The last time I went to the coast on the Metro we pulled into Shiremoor and two lads were getting a proper kicking on the platform. They spilled into our carriage just as the doors were closing, then tried their best to pretend like they were fine and they weren't grateful for the nurse who happened to be there to help get their faces patched up. The teenage machismo of it was almost quite endearing. :lol: 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Palmersville station seems to collect an inordinate amount of little shitbags. Something about the brutalist concrete architecture and the complete lack of there ever being any staff there will do that. Along with it being a bit a dump. I was there once and about 15 of them jumped on the tracks, picked up several of the big lumps of gravel from the tracks and hurled them for about 30 seconds at the shelter on the other side of the station. Then they just stopped and climbed back onto the platform as though nowt had happened. A sort of charv flash mob, if you will 

Edited by Alex
  • Haha 4

46 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

You’ve also got two of the best breweries in Newcastle on your doorstep- Almasty and Anarchy are next door to each other behind Walkergate Metro. 

Hidden gem in a crock of shit those two - what a fuckin god awful complex - but great pubs and beers.

One of the many things I've really loved since coming back is the local brewery scene and pubs like the Cumberland Arms. That place is batshit crazy - Normal pub outside, one side inside younger punters before Cluny gigs etc - other side is folk singers or sword dancers , and they'll be a punk band on upstairs. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Alex said:

Also have the bonus of taking the Valley of Fear route to Tynemouth via said metro ;) 

I take my Mum on that metro when she visits ;)

My mate calls it crack alley, cheeky cnut, his old place was on the wrong side of the river somewhere.

Here's my old place (it's me swimming) :
From there to Walkergate and it is worth it :D Steve Bruce's brother lives down the road man, what more could I want?

Edited by scoobos
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, scoobos said:

Hidden gem in a crock of shit those two - what a fuckin god awful complex - but great pubs and beers.

One of the many things I've really loved since coming back is the local brewery scene and pubs like the Cumberland Arms. That place is batshit crazy - Normal pub outside, one side inside younger punters before Cluny gigs etc - other side is folk singers or sword dancers , and they'll be a punk band on upstairs. 

The Cumberland is a fantastic pub, one of my favourites along with The Free Trade. 
It’s the old “home” pub of Northern Alchemy beers, which used to be made in the shipping container alongside, but they’ve moved just up the Ouseburn a bit to The Old Coal Yard, which is another great place for a pint or three.  👍

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Monkeys Fist said:

they’ve moved just up the Ouseburn a bit to The Old Coal Yard, which is another great place for a pint or three.  👍

Nice one, not been to that one yet , it changes so fast around there - didn't know the brewer had moved either.

p.s. It's Byker mind, none of this Shoreditch oooozeburn shite for me 🤣   

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, scoobos said:

p.s. It's Byker mind, none of this Shoreditch oooozeburn shite for me 🤣

:lol:

The Coal Yard is just a fucked fridge and two manky settees away from Sandeford, but aye, Byker it is. 

• Haha 1

Just read this first line of the first post.

"Finally, after 10 years away - I'm coming home to newcastle to settle down and, hopefully, wind down."

fuck me, that didn't happen like, did it! My politics thread today shows that one, a fuckin BJ government a pandemic and STEVE FUCKIN BRUCEBALL , "well they are good opposition , we knew it would be difficult, but there are positives to take from it, so we'll dust ourse" (vs Hereford town LGBQT+ over 70's side) suddenly the choice of only Budweiser or Coors Light seems appealing. 🤣

Edited by scoobos

17 minutes ago, scoobos said:

"well they are good opposition , we knew it would be difficult, but there are positives to take from it, so we'll dust ourse" (vs Hereford town LGBQT+ over 70's side)

:lol:

And fortuitously, the Hereford 'Til I Die cameramen were there to capture the half-time team talk:

skeletor-saying-I-am-not-interested-in-b

• Haha 3