China - good for English football?

Happy Face

Will all the daft money in China improve the English game? Will English players get more chances? Will tickets get cheaper, will the gap between the top flights be leas precarious? Will there be fewer TV moves?

Historically, just a few of the best British players would go abroad, will we be able to keep the best going forward? Could it improve standards of all the home nations?

Interesting times.

I thought it would until I saw each team is capped at 4 non Chinese players which obviously restricts the reach they have.

I think most of the top clubs will just take the money and go and buy another player that is at a high level rather than giving youngsters a chance, so I don't think it'll change much in that respect either.

I thought it would until I saw each team is capped at 4 non Chinese players which obviously restricts the reach they have.

I think most of the top clubs will just take the money and go and buy another player that is at a high level rather than giving youngsters a chance, so I don't think it'll change much in that respect either.

Exactly, 60 million for oscar means chelsea can go out and spend that much more on someone world class without falling foul of FFP.

Exactly, 60 million for oscar means chelsea can go out and spend that much more on someone world class without falling foul of FFP.

Aye, it's a shame when you think Chelsea have one of the best academies in Europe (won the FA youth cup 3 years in a row and Uefa youth cup 2 years in a row) yet players don't really break through into their first team, they have lads like Loftus-Cheek and Solanke who they wont bother loaning out much (they loaned Solanke out to a dutch side and he got 7 in 25 last season). Surely lads from the youth team could be stepping up but I guess it's safer just to take the money and spend it on a finished product, the biggest issue is they hold onto these lads until they're 23-25 so their progress is really hampered.

Just wait til Brexit and we can fill our teams with 11 English men and English international football can return to the heights of the eighties.

You're irish, you do fill your national team with english men.

:lol: And got as far as the England A team at the Euros.

Well you've got the advantage of being able to pick from Ireland and England, if anything you should have done better!

If they continue to splash the money they've started spending the time might come when they start spending it on the best players rather than average players like Cisse and Pelle and it's more than just African and South Americans that go there (of course most of the best players in the world are South American at the minute).  If they take all of the best players then English teams might chose to invest in more homegrown players rather than spending that money on more average foreign players.  

It's all big if's and but's but it is possible.  I think it's highly unlikely English clubs would do that though and if they're capping the number for foreign players in China further, there's not that many players they can sign (I'm guessing there's not that many teams and not all of them are mega rich).

I like the idea behind the question (I think I saw Fish replying to a something similar on twitter yesterday) but unfortunately I can't see it making any difference to the average football supporter in this country and I can't see anything benefiting the attempts to bring through more young English players unless a similar cap is put on foreign players in this country too.

I just think it'll be akin to when Russian teams went on a spending spree, teams like Anzhi buying Eto'o, Lassana Diarra, Roberto Carlos and Willian. Hods of cash being thrown about, but ultimately the league did nothing to dent the traditional big leagues.

I just think it'll be akin to when Russian teams went on a spending spree, teams like Anzhi buying Eto'o, Lassana Diarra, Roberto Carlos and Willian. Hods of cash being thrown about, but ultimately the league did nothing to dent the traditional big leagues.

I think you're probably right, there's probably other factors (political for example) that will stop a massive influx of top European (in particular) players moving to those leagues and as such they're unlikely to ever really compete.

Did China push hard for the 2018 World Cup? Would have thought that would have been a perfect spectacle to launch their improved premier division, the clubs could have used the stadia afterwards, all the media facilities put in for that tournament could have been appropriated by the domestic league afterwards, and other stuff that I can't think of right now.

Did China push hard for the 2018 World Cup? Would have thought that would have been a perfect spectacle to launch their improved premier division, the clubs could have used the stadia afterwards, all the media facilities put in for that tournament could have been appropriated by the domestic league afterwards, and other stuff that I can't think of right now.

The thing is though, they need their national side to be better before they take the WC. The Olympics was a no brainer because they perform well in that, but their public has a similar level of disparaging hatred towards their national team as we do to ours :lol: They consider them to be a national embarrassment, and the likelihood is that the team would lose crushingly at the tournament to everyone they came up against, and would ultimately have to issue formal apologies to the nation. In short, China would lose face on a large scale.

The thing is though, they need their national side to be better before they take the WC. The Olympics was a no brainer because they perform well in that, but their public has a similar level of disparaging hatred towards their national team as we do to ours :lol: They consider them to be a national embarrassment, and the likelihood is that the team would lose crushingly at the tournament to everyone they came up against, and would ultimately have to issue formal apologies to the nation. In short, China would lose face on a large scale.

Well they have a lot of faces.

This is why the thread was closed.

Rank Country Population

1. China 1,367,485,388

2. India 1,251,695,584

3. United States 321,368,864

4. Indonesia 255,993,674