Newcastle United v Birmingham City - FA Cup 3rd Round Replay

wykikitoon

Whats the score like?  

28 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Following a 1-1 draw at St. Andrews, United are in FA Cup Third Round replay action at SJP on Wednesday night against their Championship rivals.

Kick-off is at 7.45pm and a result must be achieved on the night, via extra time and penalties if required. 

The winners will travel to League One Oxford United in Round Four.

Fourth Round draw:

Spurs v Wycombe Wanderers
Derby County v Leicester City
Oxford United v Newcastle or Birmingham City
AFC Wimbledon or Sutton United v Leeds United
Plymouth Argyle or Liverpool v Wolves
Southampton or Norwich City v Arsenal
Lincoln or Ipswich v Brighton
Chelsea v Brentford
Manchester United v Wigan Athletic
Millwall v Watford
Rochdale v Huddersfield Town
Burnley or mackems v Fleetwood Town or Bristol City
Blackburn Rovers v Barnsley or Blackpool
Fulham v Hull City
smoggies v Accrington Stanley
Crystal Palace or Bolton v Manchester City

Ties to be played over the weekend of Jan 28th.

NB: The BBC and BT's live selections for the FA Cup Fourth Round don't include Oxford United versus Birmingham City or Newcastle United tie.

However that doesn't necessarily mean that whichever side is successful in the replay at SJP will be at the Kassam Stadium on Saturday January 28th @ 3pm. 

NUFC: Although Jonjo Shelvey is now available after serving a five game suspension, it's open to question whether he should be risked in this tie - with similar doubts now over striker Daryl Murphy should feature, or be held back for the visit of Rotherham United. 

Mo Diame, Chancel Mbemba and Christian Atsu are all on international duty and injury sidelines Aleksandar Mitrovic, Jesus Gamez and Rolando Aarons.

Saturday's victory at Brentford looks to have added Dwight Gayle, Isaac Hayden and Vurnon Anita to the sick list, while Yoan Gouffran may also be crocked.

Sammy Ameobi is ineligible to play after featuring for Bolton Wanderers earlier in the competition, while the same situation means that Jamie Sterry also cannot feature following his appearances for Coventry City.

BCFC: It's now six matches without a victory since Gianfranco Zola was brought in as manager, with a scoreless home draw on Saturday against Nottingham Forest his latest unsuccessful attempt at a win.

Jacques Maghoma is on international duty while new loan arrival Craig Gardner cannot play as he was a West Bromwich Albion player when the Third Round started (although he didn't appear for them). 

Referee: Lee Probert - second NUFC appointment of the season following the 2-1 victory at Burton.

Travel:

UK TV: None

Overseas TV: None

UK Radio: TalkSPORT 2 (DAB and online) 

Local Radio: Live on BBC Radio Newcastle.
(The official NUFC website now has free worldwide streaming of Radio Newcastle match commentaries)

Social: The matchday promotion from Pizza Express on Dean Street gives a 30% discount on your total bill- as long as one diner has a valid NUFC season ticket or Birmingham match ticket. No reservations needed.

Stats:  

Second time lucky? Last 10 FAC home replays:

1991/92 Bournemouth drew 2-2 (lost 3-4 on pens)
1992/93 Rotherham United won 2-0*
1995/96 Chelsea drew 2-2 (lost 2-4 on pens)
1996/97 Charlton Athletic won 2-1
1997/98 Stevenage Borough won 2-1*
1999/00 Spurs won 6-1
2006/07 Birmingham City lost 1-5
2007/08 Stoke City won 4-1
2008/09 Hull City lost 0-1
2009/10 Plymouth Argyle won 3-0

(All Third Round replays except * Fourth)

Blues in Toon - last 10:

2016/17 Won 4-0 Gayle 3, Gouffran
2010/11 Won 2-1 Ameobi(pen), S.Taylor
2007/08 Won 2-1 Martins(pen), Beye
2006/07 Lost 1-5 Milner (FA Cup)
2005/06 Won 1-0 Emre
2004/05 Won 2-1 Ameobi, Bowyer
2003/04 Lost 0-1
2002/03 Won 1-0 Viana
1992/93 Drew 2-2 Cole, Lee
1985/86 Won 4-1 Beardsley 2, Anderson, Whitehurst

FA Cup replays:

Tue 17.01.2017:
AFC Wimbledon v Sutton United
Barnsley v Blackpool
Burnley v mackems
Crystal Palace v Bolton Wanderers
Fleetwood Town v Bristol City
Lincoln City v Ipswich Town BBC

Wed 18.01.2017:
Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool BT
Southampton v Norwich City

.com

NUFC to Score
0 - wykikitoon, acrossthepond, Ant
1 - Happy Face, MiddleAgeCool, Kevin Carr's Gloves, The Fish, Holden McGroin, rogerbarton, StoneColdStephenIreland, barnabox
2 - David Kelly, Howay, ewerk, Rayvin, @yourservice, Anorthernsoul, aimaad22, scoobos, strawb, ohhh_yeah, harrynufc
3 - Andrew, tooner, Dougle, OTF
4+ - Tom, sammynb

NUFC to Concede
0 - Happy Face, David Kelly, MiddleAgeCool, Howay, Kevin Carr's Gloves, ewerk, tooner, The Fish, Tom, @yourservice, Anorthernsoul, rogerbarton, StoneColdStephenIreland, Dougle, aimaad22, sammynb, ohhh_yeah
1 - wykikitoon, Andrew, acrossthepond, Rayvin, barnabox, OTF, scoobos, strawb, harrynufc
2 - Ant, Holden McGroin
3 - 
4+ - 
Edited by Happy Face

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Distinct lack of options for us on Wednesday.  People talking about not risking Shelvey and Murphy but what are the other options?  I suppose we could play Clark in midfield and bring in Hanley at the back.  And then Gouffran up front and Lazaar on the wing.   Looks like we'll have to draft in some kids from the reserves since even Sammy, Vukic and Sterry can't play.

Aye I'd play Shelvey, as Andrew says we need to give him time to get up to match speed. Murphy is the question mark I'd suppose as we could go with Perez up top but then you're risking him too. 

Why wouldn't we start Shelvey? He's not being gingerly brought back from injury, he's just been suspended and a Cup game against Birmingham, then a league game against Rotherham are perfect fixtures to get him up to speed if you ask me.

I think the thinking is that we've lost so many players recently, we can't afford to lose our key player again in a cup game.  My feeling is that after a few weeks out we need to get him back up to match readiness as soon as possible so unless there's something in the conditions that make it more likely he'll get injured on Wednesday, just play him.

I imagine Shelvey will be desperate to play so I'd throw him on, see if he can get his form back straight away. I wouldn't mind seeing some of the young kids featured in some way to see if they're improving under this set-up in a game that I can't imagine Birmingham are very interested in.

I imagine Shelvey will be desperate to play so I'd throw him on, see if he can get his form back straight away. I wouldn't mind seeing some of the young kids featured in some way to see if they're improving under this set-up in a game that I can't imagine Birmingham are very interested in.

Which young players do you have in mind?  There's none that I'm aware of that aren't already out on  loan or cup tied that seem to be anywhere near ready.

I think the thinking is that we've lost so many players recently, we can't afford to lose our key player again in a cup game.  My feeling is that after a few weeks out we need to get him back up to match readiness as soon as possible so unless there's something in the conditions that make it more likely he'll get injured on Wednesday, just play him.

Get him in man.  What they gonna do for the league, only play him in certain games due to being scared of him getting a knock.

Which young players do you have in mind?  There's none that I'm aware of that aren't already out on  loan or cup tied that seem to be anywhere near ready.

Barlaser and El-Mhanni are quite highly regarded, I think I've read. I wouldn't be surprised to see them on the bench, at least

If Colback or Shelvey get an injury in the Birmingham game we'll have 1 available centre mid for Rotherham.

To be fair we could just get a bloke from the stands to fill in for Colback if he gets injured.

Barlaser and El-Mhanni are quite highly regarded, I think I've read. I wouldn't be surprised to see them on the bench, at least

El-Mhanni hasn't started many games for the reserves yet I don't think. He's been talked up in the chronicle but I don't think I've seen him achieve much yet.

Barlasser I think has been out injured for a while and just come back recently.

Roberts and Longstaff seem to be the only ones that have done anything for the reserves and we've just let them to Kilmarnock.

U23s got beat 3-1 at Swansea today and.....

The Magpies left goalkeeper Rob Elliot, defender Stuart Findlay, midfielders Dan Barlaser and Jamie Holmes, and strikers Luke Charman and Yasin Ben El-Mhanni out of their squad, perhaps providing a hint at to the make-up of the substitutes’ bench for Wednesday’s FA Cup third-round replay with Birmingham.

Edited by PaddockLad

I hope Elliot starts tbh, give him a chance to get a bit of first team action and that way we wont have to be subjected to old butterfingers Sels. Saying that Darlow completely deserves his starting place. Would be nice to see some of the younger lads get some action as we really have to start producing some players from the academy, but we've got a good draw for the 4th round so a bit of an FA cup run would be class.

Would definitely want to see Elliot start. Was just wondering myself if there were any youngsters ready to step up that aren't on loan somewhere.

Presuming we'll see Tiote and Shelvey in the middle. Is there any real alternative to Ritchie, Gouff, Ayoze & Murph?

Na no Jonjo for me. He's been suspended not injured so shouldn't have too much ground to make up. He needs wrapping in cotton wool.and saved for league games

We don't have a second central midfielder. Only Colback.