Newcastle United v Birmingham City - FA Cup 3rd Round Replay

wykikitoon

Whats the score like?  

28 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Barlaser looked quite good. Has a decent touch and can pass a ball. There might be a player there if strengthens up.

Finley barely put a foot wrong all game. To be fair until they brought the big lad on they had nothing up front so he wasn't particularly tested but you couldn't ask any more of him.

The other kid struggled to have any impact on the game at all.

Three assists for Shelvey who was easily the best player on show.

People were calling for Perez to be substituted after he came on.

Edited by David Kelly

Thought the kids looked nervous, especially the number 35 in midfield. Kid at the back was a bit more with it, the lad on the wing struggled a bit too. Luckily the experienced pro's ran the show and calmed everything down by being the best players on the pitch. Unlike J69 I thought Hanley helped the young'un next to him. Ritchie was trying to coach Yedlin into what to do when he made the odd wrong decision and Shelvey was comfortably the best player on the pitch. Everyone went out of their way to help the bairns and made a big deal of patting them on the back when they went off so alls well that ends well. Tiote is still a knacker.

Barlaser and El-Mhanni are quite highly regarded, I think I've read. I wouldn't be surprised to see them on the bench, at least

Please nobody doubt my impeccable insight again.

As it comes, I was impressed with the 3 young kids. Not so much in their general play but in the sense that they all wanted the ball and wanted to impress; it's clear Rafa planted the idea that this could be the start of a pathway into the first team. As for taking it, I'd say Findlay looked the most assured but agree that Hanley was excellent tonight. He kept Findlay in line while winning all of his headers, his duels and did nowt daft, even when you had some knackers complaining because he wasn't getting rid. Shelvey remains a class above this division and Ritchie's knack for finding good positions in the box remains intact. I thought it was comfortable, aside from the ten minutes or so when we let them come onto us but the subs of Hayden and Colback helped calm them down and we had plenty opportunities on the break in the last 10 minutes. I will say that, without Atsu or Yedlin, we're dangerously lacking in pace. I know Rafa is trying to get lads over the line but we could really use a rapid bastard off the bench in situations like this where, for instance, Gouffran was clearly exhausted (after putting in a canny shift, mind) and we could have done with someone getting in behind to get the third sooner. Anyway, good performance, nice to see the kids come in and show some raw promise and lovely to see that Shelvey hasn't missed a beat in his time off.

Edited by Ayatollah Hermione

Barlaser looked quite good. Has a decent touch and can pass a ball. There might be a player there if strengthens up.

Finley barely put a foot wrong all game. To be fair until they brought the big lad on they had nothing up front so he wasn't particularly tested but you couldn't ask any more of him.

The other kid struggled to have any impact on the game at all.

Three assists for Shelvey who was easily the best player on show.

People were calling for Perez to be substituted after he came on.

People are clueless.

First FA cup win since 2012 ffs :lol:

What a difference Shelvey makes to this side. Nice to see the younger kids get a game, they'll be hopeful of getting a run out against Oxford too now. Can only help boost morale around the place.

First FA cup win since 2012 ffs :lol:

What a difference Shelvey makes to this side. Nice to see the younger kids get a game, they'll be hopeful of getting a run out against Oxford too now. Can only help boost morale around the place.

Would make total sense to give a chiefly unchanged side a crack against Oxford.

To be honest, when I saw our line-up I was concerned as it was a similar amount of rotation we saw from Pardew or whomever. I think the stark difference was the mentality of the team. It was clear from the first minute that the team was up for this. The inclusion of key men like Shelvey and Ritchie was the catalyst and the difference old Skeletor makes in the centre is staggering. Gouffran was a positive up front by all accounts but I don't think he'll be starting up front in the league much if at all.

If Pardew or McClaren had named that line-up we'd have lost.

Thought the kids looked nervous, especially the number 35 in midfield. Kid at the back was a bit more with it, the lad on the wing struggled a bit too. Luckily the experienced pro's ran the show and calmed everything down by being the best players on the pitch. Unlike J69 I thought Hanley helped the young'un next to him. Ritchie was trying to coach Yedlin into what to do when he made the odd wrong decision and Shelvey was comfortably the best player on the pitch. Everyone went out of their way to help the bairns and made a big deal of patting them on the back when they went off so alls well that ends well. Tiote is still a knacker.

I thought they started nervously (which is to be expected) but got better and better. Barlaser tired towards the end but either side of half time showed some good touch.

I would agree Findlay was the best but I suppose give he's played Scottish premier league football last season, you'd expect him to be a bit more ready for the first team.

Also agree Hanley did well next to him. He won loads of important challenges in the air late on.

He did come on a looking shit and uninterested tbf. I really don't know what's the matter with him.

He was quality against Brentford, decent against Forest but suffers because people have such high expectations of him. He came on last night when we were absolutely coasting (should have been 3 or 4-0 up at that point), then had a hand in the 3rd; winning the ball then playing it through for Shelvey to provide the final pass across to Ritchie to tap in.

He's not lit up the league, but he gets more criticism than I feel is justified.

Would make total sense to give a chiefly unchanged side a crack against Oxford.

To be honest, when I saw our line-up I was concerned as it was a similar amount of rotation we saw from Pardew or whomever. I think the stark difference was the mentality of the team. It was clear from the first minute that the team was up for this. The inclusion of key men like Shelvey and Ritchie was the catalyst and the difference old Skeletor makes in the centre is staggering. Gouffran was a positive up front by all accounts but I don't think he'll be starting up front in the league much if at all.

If Pardew or McClaren had named that line-up we'd have lost.

Yeah probably. You can kind of see from these lads' twitter/instagram posts that they were made to feel part of something important, as opposed to making up the numbers because we dont give a shite about the cup.

Gouffran has found his place, having the odd good game at this level providing cover for 2-3 positions. Encouraging that he can put a shift up front, might be a go to for us if Murphy struggles in the games to come.

He was quality against Brentford, decent against Forest but suffers because people have such high expectations of him. He came on last night when we were absolutely coasting (should have been 3 or 4-0 up at that point), then had a hand in the 3rd; winning the ball then playing it through for Shelvey to provide the final pass across to Ritchie to tap in.

He's not lit up the league, but he gets more criticism than I feel is justified.

I'm not saying people didn't go overboard with him last night but my disappointment came from hearing he did well against Brentford and then seeing bottle challenges and look half asleep from the moment he came on. I was hoping to see a upturn in his form but he went straight back to the way he's been for the most of the last season and a half.

I can't remember him winning the ball for the last goal (and the BBC highlight doesn't show it) but it wasn't a great ball to Shelvey. It was nearly cut out. Shelvey had to make something of it rather than the ball putting into a good position.

I'm not saying people didn't go overboard with him last night but my disappointment came from hearing he did well against Brentford and then seeing bottle challenges and look half asleep from the moment he came on. I was hoping to see a upturn in his form but he went straight back to the way he's been for the most of the last season and a half.

I can't remember him winning the ball for the last goal (and the BBC highlight doesn't show it) but it wasn't a great ball to Shelvey. It was nearly cut out. Shelvey had to make something of it rather than the ball putting into a good position.

:dunno: I just get a little frustrated with the need for a scapegoat. If we lose and he's playing, he tends to get more abuse than, say, Ritchie who has put in some absolutely lifting performances. The consensus is that Mitrovic has failed in this league, when the poor kid's hardly played. Generally only gets about 10 minutes at the end of a game.