Oxford United vs Newcastle United

ewerk

Predictions  

31 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Wouldn't say a stinker, peno wasn't the worst, standing on the ball happens, back from injury and not a lot of game time this year...going be tough going for any player.

shouldn't be conceding three goals against these lads no matter who is up top.

(and aye looked like Mitro pulled rank to hit it, that's the only problem when ya do that ya better score even if the keeper throws himself in the right direction)

He had a stinker,a right fuckin stinker.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dunno like, some of the Twitter lads we're FUMING.

Personally, I'd like to have gone through but I can cope without it. Get promoted, give Rafa a decent budget & then we can really go for the cups.

Never works like that at nufc does it. We always end up ignoring the cups one way or the other. Whether to help stave off relegation or to push for promotion. Year on year thrashings at the hand of lower league opposition. Gotten a bit old now. 

Wouldn't say a stinker, peno wasn't the worst, standing on the ball happens, back from injury and not a lot of game time this year...going be tough going for any player.

shouldn't be conceding three goals against these lads no matter who is up top.

(and aye looked like Mitro pulled rank to hit it, that's the only problem when ya do that ya better score even if the keeper throws himself in the right direction)

Read somewhere that Mitrovic was the nominated penalty taker, which would certainly make sense given the line-up.

Rafa said that if we progressed it would be by using the squad and the team he picked should  have been enough to progress. Mind, on another day we would have been a couple of goals to the good in the 1st half. Oxford deserved their cup victory and Newcastle deserve criticism for falling to a team significantly lower down the pyramid. That said, the tantrums and bed wetting needs to stop. At the beginning of the season we all agreed that Promotion was the be all and end all, we're still on course for that. 

Despite that, I don't know why Rafa keeps giving Matz Sels a shot;

Sels P14 W7, D3, L4 F29 A13

Wins

Reading 4-1

Bristol 1-0

Brighton 2-0

Derby 2-0

QPR 6-0

Preston 6-0

Birmingham 3-1

Draws

Aston Villa 1-1

Hull 1-1 (lost on penalties)

Birmingham 1-1

Losses

Fulham 1-0

Huddersfield 2-1

Wolves 2-0

Oxford 3-1

DARLOW P20 W16 D0 L4 F41 A14

Wins

Cheltenham 2-0

Wolves 2-0

Norwich 4-3

Rotherham 1-0

Brentford 3-1

Barnsley 2-0

Ipswich 3-0

Preston 2-1

Cardiff 2-1

Leeds 2-0

Birmingham 4-0

Wigan 2-0

Burton 2-1

Forest 3-1

Brentford 2-1

Rotherham 4-0

Losses

Blackburn 1-0

Forest 2-1

Sheff Wed 1-0

Blackburn 1-0

Aye, playing Sels is completely pointless. The bloke is a shambles in goal, whether it's lack of ability or confidence (I don't think we've seen anything from him to say he is all that talented tbh) we don't need to risk it. We have Elliott who we know is better, and Darlow who has been far better and is of similar age. I get that we paid a fair whack for him but it's time to give up on him as we've seen nothing from him to think he's going to become better than Krul, Elliott or Darlow.

I agree we're still perfectly on track for promotion. It's just frustrating to be dumped out a cup by lower league opposition. 

Aye, playing Sels is completely pointless. The bloke is a shambles in goal, whether it's lack of ability or confidence (I don't think we've seen anything from him to say he is all that talented tbh) we don't need to risk it. We have Elliott who we know is better, and Darlow who has been far better and is of similar age. I get that we paid a fair whack for him but it's time to give up on him as we've seen nothing from him to think he's going to become better than Krul, Elliott or Darlow.

I agree we're still perfectly on track for promotion. It's just frustrating to be dumped out a cup by lower league opposition. 

Was surely a gamble that Sels wouldn't be under that much pressure from a lower league side, we played 3 CBs so any pressure should be dealt with. As it is, his confidence must be shot. Although, there are few circumstances that he'd actually play now. Darlow is 1st choice, Elliott must be 2nd choice, so aside from an injury disaster between the sticks, I don't think he'll take the field for us in a competitive game ever again.

:dunno: meh.

Possibly but I'd have preferred Elliott to get game time. If we were weak in that position I think playing him to try and improve him would be a gamble we'd need to take but as it is we're fine in that spot so there's no point in putting a dodgy keeper in. I always thought he was an odd purchase anyway, we had Krul, Elliott, and Darlow who are all fine so I think the 6.5m could have been better spent, aye he could have proven to be better than all 3 but it wasn't a position we were in pressing need of improving.

Possibly but I'd have preferred Elliott to get game time. If we were weak in that position I think playing him to try and improve him would be a gamble we'd need to take but as it is we're fine in that spot so there's no point in putting a dodgy keeper in. I always thought he was an odd purchase anyway, we had Krul, Elliott, and Darlow who are all fine so I think the 6.5m could have been better spent, aye he could have proven to be better than all 3 but it wasn't a position we were in pressing need of improving.

Agree, but, as with Hanley and Murphy, it may have been a safety net should Lascelles/Mbemba or Gayle/Mitrovic fail to perform in this league. Especially as Elliot was injured at the beginning of the season.

It's an odd one, no doubt, as I've said before he'd be better off leaving Newcastle United and rebuilding his career elsewhere.

Agree, but, as with Hanley and Murphy, it may have been a safety net should Lascelles/Mbemba or Gayle/Mitrovic fail to perform in this league. Especially as Elliot was injured at the beginning of the season.

It's an odd one, no doubt, as I've said before he'd be better off leaving Newcastle United and rebuilding his career elsewhere.

Possibly but it's a fair whack to spend on a safety net for what was probably our strongest in depth position.

We spent more on him than we did on improving CM, a position people have been pointing to for years. I hope you're right and the lad is shifted on as anytime he starts we're even shakier at the back.