• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Best supporting actor

Mahershala Ali (Moonlight)

Jeff Bridges (Hell Or High Water)

Lucas Hedges (Manchester By The Sea)

Dev Patel (Lion)

Michael Shannon (Nocturnal Animals)

Think the bairn from Lion deserved it more than Patel.

The only time I give a fuck about the Oscars is when someone British wins something and they then turn into a golly, gosh, grinning, Tim-nice-but-dim, English twit especially for the US audience. And only then do I slowly shake my head with a disapproving countenance on my face.

What's the big deal about La La Land?

14 nods is nothing short of laughable. People always cream their pants over musicals on screen, the film is nothing special really. The reason for the acclaim is the fact it flicks the nostalgic switch for many. It's a throwback to the golden age of Hollywood, and people have been swallowed up by retrospect.

Best animated feature

Kubo and the Two Strings

Moana

My Life as a Zucchini

The Red Turtle

Zootopia

I preferred Secret life of pets to Zootopia, I'm outraged now. Didn't see any of the others in that category.

I've seen a patheticly low amount of films this year, normally I've seen most of the best film nominees but I've not even seen one this year. I blame the missus wanting to watch comedies or re-watching parks and rec, it's as outrageous as the Zootopia over Secret life of pets debacle (fwiw I enjoyed Zootopia as well), still haven't seen Whiplash ffs.

Edited by Howay

Just seen MBTS. Surprised at Williams' nomination. Was barely in it and really only had one very good scene.

I've also just watched it, our lass fell asleep. I liked the pace of it, I'm not sure the time I invested in it was worth the pay off with that ending.

I preferred Secret life of pets to Zootopia, I'm outraged now. Didn't see any of the others in that category.

I've seen a patheticly low amount of films this year, normally I've seen most of the best film nominees but I've not even seen one this year. I blame the missus wanting to watch comedies or re-watching parks and rec, it's as outrageous as the Zootopia over Secret life of pets debacle (fwiw I enjoyed Zootopia as well), still haven't seen Whiplash ffs.

I'd agree. Basically I think it comes down to that scene with the sloth though. That was genius tbf