Oscars 2017

Happy Face

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just seen MBTS. Surprised at Williams' nomination. Was barely in it and really only had one very good scene.

I did wonder about that too.  The last scene that her and Affleck are in together was excellent but to get a best supporting actor nomination for one scene I'd be looking for something more like Baldwin in Glengarry Glen Ross. 

La La Land is excellent. Best looking film I've seen in a long time - beautiful colour grade.

I'd be surprised if it got best actor/actress but fancy it for film, director, cinematography, music.

It feels like the right moment for a piece of well judged and well executed escapism. Not usually a fan of musicals but it didn't overly rely on music or dancing scenes, there was plenty of dialogue and an original conclusion. 9/10

La La Land is excellent. Best looking film I've seen in a long time - beautiful colour grade.

I'd be surprised if it got best actor/actress but fancy it for film, director, cinematography, music.

It feels like the right moment for a piece of well judged and well executed escapism. Not usually a fan of musicals but it didn't overly rely on music or dancing scenes, there was plenty of dialogue and an original conclusion. 9/10

Might be worth a gander. Better not be shit Gloom. ;)

• 1 month later...

Cynical as ever but after the furore last year about diversity, whoever sat down and said "Let's make a film about a black bloke who struggles with being gay" was a marketing genius. (I realise its based on a book).

Not quite as high as my all time cynicism benchmark of somebody suggesting to Cliff Richard to put the Our Father to the tune of Auld Lang Syne and realease it around the MIllenium but not a bad effort.

so black lives do matter after all - even gay ones.

Wrong film won for me. I thought La la would get it, I would have liked to see Manchester by the sea win.

Glad to see Affleck get best actor, despite concerns over alleged sexual harassment. If you take each performance on merit, his was by far the most compelling.

so black lives do matter after all - even gay ones.

Wrong film won for me. I thought La la would get it, I would have liked to see Manchester by the sea win.

Glad to see Affleck get best actor, despite concerns over alleged sexual harassment. If you take each performance on merit, his was by far the most compelling.

I must be in the minority. I thought Affleck spent 2 hours pulling the same miserable face, hardly hitting the heights of the art form. Also happens to be the same face he pulls

In every other film he's done. Brad Pitt does the same

I thought it was a masterclass in understatement and what was left unsaid. That is obviously also partially down to superb script, but when his character did finally break down in the scene with his ex wife, it was all the more powerful becuase until that point all we'd seen was an emotional wall. It was just a gripping portrayal of grief and how people cope with it in different ways. Not exactly a Friday night popcorn flick but I found it completely absorbing and a lot of that was down to Affleck's performance.

Thought Moonlight was awful. Tired gay cliches put through the black blender.

Hacksaw Ridge and Manchester by the Sea were the best films with the best performances.

Would have been funny if the announcement had taken longer to rectify and the whole of the Liberal left and Blacktivists had taken to twittah... :D

Edited by Park Life

The Oscars is a piss take these days anyway. They pick 4 or 5 films, normally about something horribly miserable and with shit earnings, and they clean up most of the awards

Lion and Captain Fantastic were easily better than Manchester by the Sea, La La Land and Hacksaw Ridge

The Oscars is a piss take these days anyway. They pick 4 or 5 films, normally about something horribly miserable and with shit earnings, and they clean up most of the awards

Lion and Captain Fantastic were easily better than Manchester by the Sea, La La Land and Hacksaw Ridge

Yeah Captain Fantastic was the other one that really surprised me. Good film.

Quite interesting when you look at it historically and see some of the films that didn't win (and in lots of cases weren't even nominated). Citizen Kane didn't even win best picture.