Derby County v Newcastle United

The Fish

NUFC V DCFC  

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I don't want to write him off either but I'm not sure how much of that is down to liking how the guy is as a person and how much of it is actually believing he has the potential to be a very good player.

• Replies 230
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mitrovic was fucking peripheral at absolute best. Can't believe what I'm reading on here, tbh.

The geezer can barely control a ball and his finishing is laughable. His 15 misses last term is what got us relegated.

I don't get the negative stuff over mitro at all tbh the last few games he's been on

He's barely had a chance to play let alone start , he's fluffed his lines a bit when he's got the few chances but still assisted others, kids young and still doing /alright/

More consistent game time he'll get his goal and a bit of confidence back and it'll be grand

lad was a 1 in 2 striker in the league last year his first season , been kept out cause of gayles form, just needs to get himself back upto speed

might've blew a chance for a goal yesterday but he helped get the win, and considering the state of us lately ...thank fuck he did

I like him, and think he'll be ok in the Premier League. The crowd seem to suffer from the same old problem, over-hype a kid then lose their collective shit when he fails to meet that exaggerated expectation. Which undoubtedly puts more pressure on him. They've got form for that, as do most clubs' fanbase.

He's not often getting to play in the team when their tails are up. In the last few games he's fluffed his lines a couple of times, but that miss on Saturday was an instinctive turn and finish. He clearly didn't realise he had a bit of time and rushed his shot, and that is blatantly down to not being match-sharp. He's also trying to work out the balance between too aggressive and too soft so he's not throwing his weight round as he can (he bullied Premier League defenders last season), that will come with game time. He doesn't get a lot of service to his bonce so he's trying to change his game a little, but he'll need game time to do that.

If I were Rafa I'd start Gayle when he's fit, but give Mitrovic longer than just 5-10 minutes as it's obvious that it's not ability that the lad is lacking, it's confidence and match-sharpness. 

I really do think a way to bring Mitro back up to speed would be to play him alongside Gayle. I can see Mitro bringing Gayle into play by holding the ball up and winning flick ons. I can see Gayle's runs pulling defenders out of the way so Mitro can find space and slam the ball home. 

Having watched a few recent games, though, my main concern is in defence. I just don't feel confident when we're having to defend. A lot of people are calling Hanley solid if unspectacular. He looks ropey to me. Limited in the extreme. Would like to see Mbemba come back in and play with Clarke for a bit. But the reality is I'd only keep Yedlin from our back four as a PL starting XI.

Very few sides in top level European football play 2 up front nowadays. Rafa never has as far as I can remember. It's not going to happen.

I'm enjoying the football in this league, as far as I can make out there are more players who can actually play a bit and more sides trying to play attractive football than the last time we were down here. The thing about it is all the better sides are maddeningly inconsistent, including ourselves. That's because they have decent players who could be good or very good players if they did it 3 games in four for nine months instead of 1 or 2 games in four for 5 or 6 months. That's why they're not playing in the top division tbh.

Edited by PaddockLad

still think we're going to need half a new first team if we go up. another reason why rafa should have been backed to add a couple in january - reducing the amount of surgery required in the summer. 

still think we're going to need half a new first team if we go up. another reason why rafa should have been backed to add a couple in january - reducing the amount of surgery required in the summer.

The only ones I'd keep for the Premiership are Gayle, Mitrovic, Shelvey & Richie. We need a new defence & keeper & couple of good old fashioned wingers. Ashley's going to have to back Rafa & spend big this time otherwise that revolving door will be spinning again.

i'm not as concerned about keepers. darlow and elliot could both could do a job in the top flight. plus there's possibly also krul to come back.

i also think hayden and diame could step up to the PL. other than that i agree. we already know that dummet, gouffran, colback and anita (all first team regulars) can't cut it week in week out in the PL and there are question marks around pretty much the entire back line. a few of those could survive as squad players but major investment is required.

Edited by Dr Gloom

Yep, I can see Darlow / Krul, Mbemba, Yedlin, Shelvey, Diame, Ritchie, Gayle and Mitrovic being good enough. Hayden and Ayoze are decent rotation options. But we'll need strength in depth.

On the shopping list will be a top-quality CB, left back, defensive midfielder, winger, an actually good number 10 (!!!) and I'd imagine we'll be looking at bringing in a proven PL striker too. Oh, plus someone who could step in for Shelvey.

Edited by rogerbarton

Mbemba did a job in the PL last year, he wasn't amazing but he was a pretty solid centre-back in an abominable defence. Same with Mitrovic. Neither one has really had a look in under Rafa but I still think they're PL-quality players. 

I like him, and think he'll be ok in the Premier League. The crowd seem to suffer from the same old problem, over-hype a kid then lose their collective shit when he fails to meet that exaggerated expectation. Which undoubtedly puts more pressure on him. They've got form for that, as do most clubs' fanbase.

He's not often getting to play in the team when their tails are up. In the last few games he's fluffed his lines a couple of times, but that miss on Saturday was an instinctive turn and finish. He clearly didn't realise he had a bit of time and rushed his shot, and that is blatantly down to not being match-sharp. He's also trying to work out the balance between too aggressive and too soft so he's not throwing his weight round as he can (he bullied Premier League defenders last season), that will come with game time. He doesn't get a lot of service to his bonce so he's trying to change his game a little, but he'll need game time to do that.

If I were Rafa I'd start Gayle when he's fit, but give Mitrovic longer than just 5-10 minutes as it's obvious that it's not ability that the lad is lacking, it's confidence and match-sharpness. 

Agree with all of this.  Don't get the shit he's getting at all.  And it seems that if you stand up for him at all, you get a load of shit for being a Mitro lover.  Clearly he's not a real top class striker and there's no reason at all for anyone to suggest he should play ahead of Gayle, but when he's had a run in the side he's scored goals.  He also does a job of getting a hold of the ball up top and bringing others into play.  No not the best job but most young players are very good at it at all and he's probably our best at it.

It's a pointless argument as we know Rafa doesn't like 2 up front but I really think he could help Gayle score more goals if he got a chance alongside him.  I would never really expect Rafa to start a game with the two of them, but I would like him to have it as a plan B if things aren't going well.

I really do think a way to bring Mitro back up to speed would be to play him alongside Gayle. I can see Mitro bringing Gayle into play by holding the ball up and winning flick ons. I can see Gayle's runs pulling defenders out of the way so Mitro can find space and slam the ball home. 

Having watched a few recent games, though, my main concern is in defence. I just don't feel confident when we're having to defend. A lot of people are calling Hanley solid if unspectacular. He looks ropey to me. Limited in the extreme. Would like to see Mbemba come back in and play with Clarke for a bit. But the reality is I'd only keep Yedlin from our back four as a PL starting XI.

Yeah the defence is odd, Clark looks our best CB, but he's still prone to an error now and again. Lascelles can be brilliant or awful. Hanley, like you say, is decent at this level, but limited. Mbemba seems to have fallen out of favour, but is the Centre Back that seems to have the biggest potential. I think Clark, Mbemba and Lascelles will do enough to stay in the Premier League squad, but we need a top centre back (or at least a centreback who can become that).

The only ones I'd keep for the Premiership are Gayle, Mitrovic, Shelvey & Richie. We need a new defence & keeper & couple of good old fashioned wingers. Ashley's going to have to back Rafa & spend big this time otherwise that revolving door will be spinning again.

I'd add Diame, Perez, Atsu, Hayden, Yedlin, Clark, Lascelles, Mbemba, Darlow, Elliott to that for the 1st season back.

Agree with all of this.  Don't get the shit he's getting at all.  And it seems that if you stand up for him at all, you get a load of shit for being a Mitro lover.  Clearly he's not a real top class striker and there's no reason at all for anyone to suggest he should play ahead of Gayle, but when he's had a run in the side he's scored goals.  He also does a job of getting a hold of the ball up top and bringing others into play.  No not the best job but most young players are very good at it at all and he's probably our best at it.

It's a pointless argument as we know Rafa doesn't like 2 up front but I really think he could help Gayle score more goals if he got a chance alongside him.  I would never really expect Rafa to start a game with the two of them, but I would like him to have it as a plan B if things aren't going well.

If we had better defence (and fullbacks specifically) I think we could play a 4-4-2, as it is I think we need that extra body in the centre to cover their failings. Also, as we're controlling the game for large spells it makes sense to have players that are comfortable passing the ball around on the deck. Sticking the ball in the air for Mitro to knock down for Gayle would only really work if the game was stretched a bit more, surely?

If Mitro can't get a sniff now then I doubt he will be a regular next season. 

We don't know how the rest of the season is going to pan out. Gayle might get injured, or the mad Serb might get more game time and Mitrovic may take his chance to shine. 

He's scored goals for a shit team in the Premier League, so until we see him back up there, we don't know if he'll make it or not. I certainly think he's good enough to lead the line for at least a mid-to-bottom Premier League side though.

We don't know how the rest of the season is going to pan out. Gayle might get injured, or the mad Serb might get more game time and Mitrovic may take his chance to shine. 

He's scored goals for a shit team in the Premier League, so until we see him back up there, we don't know if he'll make it or not. I certainly think he's good enough to lead the line for at least a mid-to-bottom Premier League side though.

I never suggested he wasn't good enough. I was remarking that if he cant get in our Championship team then he wont be able to get into the PL team (if we go up) as Rafa will surely strengthen.