Wolverhampton Wanderers v Newcastle United

wykikitoon

What's the score like?  

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that we should have strengthened, it would have been a whole lot more comfortable of a promotion if we had. I'm still extremely confident of us going up as I have been basically all season.

If you're going to get through a 46 game season you're going to have games like today, especially when you're really relying heavily on one or two players to create anything. I'm not sure why the Derby game was brought up as we were good in the first half and if Gayle had played (and been on form) we'd have put that game to bed by half time, unfortunately we spurned a bunch of good chances and were hanging on at the end but again games like that will happen when you're missing the leagues top scorer.

I really noticed how well Rafa has the defence marshaled today, the lines were clear and the players really stuck to them, I think the major thing I noticed was players were often missing 'their' tackle which is sometimes what afforded opportunities. Once Rafa gets better players (if he's fucking allowed and/or he stays long enough to get them) you can see we'll be solid defensively, as like Billy is saying we didn't give Wolves much today despite Colback doing his fucking best to give them good opportunities. 

I'm popping round a mates tomorrow to watch this. I can't remember ever winning a televised game when I've been round his lasses house. This is going back at least six years. Blame me for tomorrows defeat. :good:

Whew! Barely.  Aren't you the lucky one, eh?!

Next time we play don't be doing crazy stuff like that again, mkay?

I tell you what Dummett should be given the OBE compared to Colback. That ginger cunt shouldn't be even allowed to sweep the changing rooms he's that dangerous.

:lol: Aye. The worrying part about Colback is that today wasn't even an exceptionally bad game for him, he has had plenty games where he's as much of a liability as he was today. We all said the other game where he gave away that free kick outside the box and the opposition scored should be his last, he gave away 2-3 in similar positions today ffs.

Really hope this season is the last we had to put up with him, as bad as players like Dummett and Gouffran can be they don't give away the sheer volume of ridiculously needless free kicks this plank gives away. The sheer stupidity of the first one was staggering, the bloke was isolated by about 30 yards, they had no one charging into the box, he was running right out to the corner and Yedlin had him comfortably covered, then in comes Colback clattering into him from behind and they had a real chance a minute into the game.

We're mint tbh. We have a lad that randomly gifts the opposition free kicks in great areas and a full back that consistently passes the ball directly to opposition midfielders. The fact we have those utter liabilities playing somewhat consistently and still manage to win is staggering.

I'll be happy if we grit this one out tbh, both sides are having a stinker today. We have looked brilliant at times recently but nowt seems to be clicking today and Shelvey is having an off day, maybe we'll click 2nd half the same way they switched off 2nd half the other week.

Aye cos that's what I meant.

We obviously aren't mint, we got relegated last season man. I just think expecting us to play class every week is unrealistic.

Last time we went down I don't remember this level of moaning about how we played, we still played shite quite a lot but we smashed the league. Think we lost to Scunthorpe and Blackpool? Scraped a few shitty 1-0 away wins where we were terrible and relied on long balls to Carroll or fucking harewood..

It's a shit league, with shit teams and shit refs. We are the best team in the league, doesn't mean we are class.

I'm definitely subscribing to the view that every scraped 1-0 win away from home is a good thing. Even the great champions have their fair share of games like that.

Can't imagine any neutrals stayed for the 90 minutes like. :D

Mitro was targeted by a very poor ref. And the commentators were dreadful. Were they the same ones Sky normally use for the Championship? As I've usually thought they were pretty decent.

Once we got going last time my recollection is that we were a fair bit more enjoyable to watch. May be a trick of the mind or a bigger contrast with the previous season in the prem where we were worse than dire. At any length the absence of cohesion in this game made it a worry. It was like a set of players that have never played together. Passing and movement was lacking. Many of our more capable players are inconsistent which doesn't matter so much in the championship but will be found out in the prem. I hope the support is there to improve the team next season otherwise it will be an unenjoyable slog with a high chance of culmination in relegation.

We obviously aren't mint, we got relegated last season man. I just think expecting us to play class every week is unrealistic.

Last time we went down I don't remember this level of moaning about how we played, we still played shite quite a lot but we smashed the league. Think we lost to Scunthorpe and Blackpool? Scraped a few shitty 1-0 away wins where we were terrible and relied on long balls to Carroll or fucking harewood..

It's a shit league, with shit teams and shit refs. We are the best team in the league, doesn't mean we are class.

Got best at Derby midweek too, Savage chopped Routlegde in half then laughingly admitted he should've been sent off for it in 5live an hour later to his media chums, 'chappers" etc etc

Won at Preston one nil midweek too, pissing down, made last night look like Brazil v Italy 1970...ups and downs in a season, who'd have thunk it? :D

I think it's worth mentioning that despite all the shite about Lambert turning them around, they're still only 6 points off a relegation place.

Same applies when we play them boring cunts next Monday.

Maybe I'm being pragmatic but I could not give a single fuck how we get out of this league. If we scrape enough crappy one nils and win the league on goal difference I wouldn't care.

+1

Especially when you see the likes of Villa massively struggling even after spending 45 million on strikers and to a lesser extent Norwich.

@@strawb

I don't think I put my point across well. I was actually agreeing with you, I was pointing to the fact that we're top of the league with some players in the side that are complete liabilities to show how much we're overcoming rather than being sarcastic about your point.

I agree with the rest of your post here in all. I said in another post that I remember us grinding out a lot of wins last time. I think the players suited the tactics better last time round so the team appeared more effective to watch but we're not much off where they were points wise anyway. As long as we go up I'm happy.

Edited by Howay

Enough for safety? Reach for the stars

:dunno: just being realistic. To go for top ten we'd have to spend incredible amounts of money, we'd have to rapidly integrate a lot of new players and we'd have to improve upon the players who're currently integral to our game. I think it's unrealistic to expect much more than safety in our first season back in the top flight.

Compared with 92/93 this is more of a grinding team but I don't think it's that different to 09/10 - the latter had a few games where Barton, Nolan or Carroll won games almost single-handedly and it wasn't pretty.

I have doubts with Colback still getting a game and I'm still not convinced by Diame in that position but I think we'll be alright as long as Gayle comes back properly fit.

Still think we should have strengthened though.

I see parallels with the 09/10 season, we're a team that builds it's success on a strong defence and an efficient striker force, but I think we've a weaker 1st team now than that one. Back then we had 2 Argentinian internationals, a top half of the Premier League left back, hugely experienced central midfielders, 4 players who got double figures. 

That team ground out 1-0 victories 7 times in that season, we've 4 so far.  We managed to score 3+ on 12 occasions in 09/10, we've already managed to do that 8 times with another 3rd of the season (16 games) to go. 09/10 we scored 90 (1.95 GpG) conceded 35 (0.76 GpG). 16/17 we've scored 58 (1.93 GpG) and conceded 23 (0.76 GpG).  I'd expect when Gayle returns the goals to increase. I think the strain of the campaign will also start telling on teams pushing for play-offs.

The real test for this team will start the week we play Brighton 'Uddersfield & Reading all away games. If we play like yesterday I can't see us getting anything. We must learn to get the 2nd or 3rd killer goal to win the game comfortably. Admittedly Gayle will be back & hopefully up to full speed by then but we are so reliant on him the same as Shelvey. The thing is they both must play every game as we look fragile without either or both in the team. This definitely strengthens Rafa's hand on why we should have bought in the January window. I think after those 3 games we'll have a much clearer idea as to wether we'll take one of the top spots, or be dragged down into the dreaded play-offs. Obviously the former is the preferred option as I don't fancy the latter.

Decent win, was a bit ropey in parts but we done well to get there eventually. Thought Clark was solid, him and Lascelles were decent and Darlow was solid when called upon. Dummett and Colback are just :anguish: :anguish: :anguish: - don't understand why Lazaar isn't given a run of games???

The real test for this team will start the week we play Brighton 'Uddersfield & Reading all away games. If we play like yesterday I can't see us getting anything. We must learn to get the 2nd or 3rd killer goal to win the game comfortably. Admittedly Gayle will be back & hopefully up to full speed by then but we are so reliant on him the same as Shelvey. The thing is they both must play every game as we look fragile without either or both in the team. This definitely strengthens Rafa's hand on why we should have bought in the January window. I think after those 3 games we'll have a much clearer idea as to wether we'll take one of the top spots, or be dragged down into the dreaded play-offs. Obviously the former is the preferred option as I don't fancy the latter.

We have a habit of winning games away from home this season though, don't we? Those teams won't relish us coming to town. Plus we're in such a strong position with our best striker about to return and our playmaker back. Practically 8 points clear of the play offs once you factor in gd

I tell ypou what it was awful to watch but we got a win.

The ref's are trying their hardest not to show any favoritism towards us and its making every bastard decision petty.  The yellow for Mitro was a fucking joke.  Apparently the so called 'experts' said it was persistent fouling.  Yet seemed to overlook the persistent fouling from Wolves players that went past with fuck all.  It's a joke.

The Mitro 'stamp' too.  :lol: There is no way that's a stamp.  He had every right to go for that ball and it was a very awkward drop of his foot, but no way in a million years was that a stamp.  Rafa was right to take him off because he is just too much of a livewire.

Colback though, fuck me.  The kid shouldn't be allowed near a pitch.  He scares the life out of me.

BUT

We got 3 points, away at a tricky side.