Wolverhampton Wanderers v Newcastle United

wykikitoon

What's the score like?  

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our defending corners & set pieces is a worry

I'm not sure it is, we're decent at defending on the whole and certainly not what I'd consider weak at defending set pieces.

I think the problem is that we don't concede many goals, so every goal conceded is scrutinised. I'd also say that set-pieces are the great leveller, Man City and Arsenal can come unstuck because West Brom have fielded 6 centre backs who can all bully the elfin midfielders of those title chasing teams. 

I can't find stats on it, but I don't think we've conceded a large number of set-piece goals.

I'm not sure it is, we're decent at defending on the whole and certainly not what I'd consider weak at defending set pieces.

I think the problem is that we don't concede many goals, so every goal conceded is scrutinised. I'd also say that set-pieces are the great leveller, Man City and Arsenal can come unstuck because West Brom have fielded 6 centre backs who can all bully the elfin midfielders of those title chasing teams.

I can't find stats on it, but I don't think we've conceded a large number of set-piece goals.

QPR's first Oxford's 3 all concede from corners were our defending was a joke. Two out of the last games 3 games it's a worry its getting too regular. Edited by trooper

QPR's first Oxford's 3 all concede from corners were our defending was a joke. Two out of the last games 3 games it's a worry its getting too regular.

Oxford's three came in the cup against our 3rd string. Curtis Good was playing ffs, and any goal conceded while Sels is in between the sticks is not relevant. ;)

Like I say though, when the rest of our defending is decent in this league, Set Pieces will always be the oppositions best chance of scoring against us. 

I wouldn't worry about it too much mate.

We've gotten away with a few this season through rank bad finishing which would've been punished in a higher division. Not saying it's panic stations this year but the defensive part of our side needs looked at should we go up, (the bonus, if we keep Rafa, is that recruits will go into a well drilled side who know their jobs so should integrate that bit easier.).

We've gotten away with a few this season through rank bad finishing which would've been punished in a higher division. Not saying it's panic stations this year but the defensive part of our side needs looked at should we go up, (the bonus, if we keep Rafa, is that recruits will go into a well drilled side who know their jobs so should integrate that bit easier.).

Absolutely need to improve our defending in the top flight, but at this level, we're grand. Only Derby have conceded fewer goals than we have and while much of that will be because we're comfortably one of the best teams in the division, I do think that the system Benitez employs is pragmatic before anything else. Hopefully we'll improve the standard of defenders for the Premier League, as the thought of Sanchez or Aguero running at Hanley and Dummett fills me with dread :lol:

Also, if we improve across the squad, we could hold the ball better and thus invite less pressure on our defensive players.

I still think it'll take a major overhaul & a canny spend to bring us up to the standard Rafa will want in the Premiership. That could bring major conflict between Ashley & Rafa. But that's for another day the main thing today is 3 points it feels like the pack below us seem to be closing in every time I look at the table.

W% when on Sky 40% (10 games)

W% when not on Sky 86% (18 games)

On TV; Fulham L, Brighton W, Derby W, Villa D, Leeds W, Forest L, Sheff Wed L, Blackburn L. Wigan W. QPR D.

Starting today 3 of our next 5 games are on SKY

Wolves (a) Sky

Norwich (a)

Villa (h) Sky

Bristol City (h)

Brighton (a) Sky

I think we're going to need close to an entirely new back line next season if we go up.

I think Yedlin, Clark, Mbemba and maybe Clark and LAscelles would be enough for safety.

I still think it'll take a major overhaul & a canny spend to bring us up to the standard Rafa will want in the Premiership. That could bring major conflict between Ashley & Rafa. But that's for another day the main thing today is 3 points it feels like the pack below us seem to be closing in every time I look at the table.

Rafa built a side to win the championship, I reckon he'll build a side that can get us safe next year, then build on that over the next few years.

I'm personally not convinced any pairing out of those three is strong enough for the PL, I'd happily be proven wrong but I'd rather see us go out and get at least one decent PL-level CB.

Lascelles looks shaky as it is in this division, Mbemba is going to have basically a full season without a start if it keeps up like this, and Clark has never looked good at Premier League level, of course coaching from Rafa could improve Clark but I think going into a Premier League season with only the four senior CB's we have at the moment would be massively risky. 

Yedlin was okay at the Mackems and I think he has improved but obviously Dummett needs improved upon (which is why you've omitted him).

Pleased to see mitro retain his place. Disappointed to see the ginger pirlo starting again. Is Hayden goosed or something? If not it's a head scratcher from Rafa. Other than that it's as expected. Though I would have liked to see Atsu start.

Pleased to see mitro retain his place. Disappointed to see the ginger pirlo starting again. Is Hayden goosed or something? If not it's a head scratcher from Rafa. Other than that it's as expected. Though I would have liked to see Atsu start.

Rafa may not have had a choice with Gayle still recovering. But I hope you're right and he takes this chance.  Not sure how many more he has, tbh.