The Labour Party

Park Life

I moved into the numbers because Alex compared Labour's performance to the SNP, which I don't think holds up as an argument in this case given how Scotland voted.

I'll check out the podcast I guess...

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I moved into the numbers because Alex compared Labour's performance to the SNP, which I don't think holds up as an argument in this case given how Scotland voted.

I'll check out the podcast I guess...

I compared it to both the leaders of the main parties in England rather than just Corbyn.

Edit: Also, if the latter were more effective as a leader then he'd have more supporters and people voting for him too. So, just comparing percentages of SNP and Labour voters isn't really as comprehensive as you seem to think

Edited by Alex

Well in that case I agree with it more given how the Tories split went, but everyone appears to have accepted that this looks about right for them...?

EDIT - (on your edit) as ever, I find myself frustrated that no one can prove anything to me. I just get told that I'm talking rubbish and that the reasons are self-evident. If comparing percentages isn't as comprehensive as I'd think, what metric would be?

Edited by Rayvin

I suppose the question is if Cameron "knew" most tories were going to vote out and therefore was relying on labour voters to save his arse or he thought he could persuade his voters to vote remain - either way that adds to his culpability for calling the fucking thing.

It does. But I'm not sure why we're so keen to avoid talking about all those new voters. They swung the thing. Cameron's gamble as you've set it out there actually would have worked had they not been involved. Corbyn's Labour along with the Lib Dems and Greens would have been enough to take it the right way.

Either way, the upshot as Renton noted, is that Labour are paying the price for it.

Cameron is most culpable for calling the referendum purely for partisan reasons, knowing what a risk it was.

Corbyn is second most culpable for sabotaging Remain because he was really a leaver. That may be harsh though. Maybe he's second most culpable for being completely shit at his job.

Cameron is going to go down as the worst pm of all time thanks to his hair brained decision to call a referendum. There was literally no need to do so - and especially not one as basic as in/out ffs.

Cameron is going to go down as the worst pm of all time thanks to his hair brained decision to call a referendum. There was literally no need to do so - and especially not one as basic as in/out ffs.

Well as we've been discussing today, depends how you look at it. From a conservative political viewpoint, it appears to be a masterstroke. He's literally destroyed the opposition party.

(No I'm not really crediting him with some kind of Machiavellian plan. Butterflies and hurricanes spring to mind)

And now the useless fucker has lost Copeland, a labour stronghold for 80 years, and yet Corbyn and his acolytes are hailing last night as some sort of success. It's pathetic. Corbyn has been an utter disaster for this country and continues to be so.

It was an 'achievement'.

I presume even Corbyn can't lose the Gorton by-election, anyway (shame to hear about Kaufman, always seemed a good sort). 24,000 majority - the Greens came second last time. :lol:https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manchester_Gorton_%28UK_Parliament_constituency%29#Elections_in_the_2010s

How did it vote during EU referendum.

''And what of the press? The abuse of the right wing is as crude as we could have expected. But the papers that present themselves as radical have been revealed to be nothing of the sort. The Guardian and Mirror have become cheerleaders for the old Labour establishment. Column after column demands that Corbyn should go. Extinct volcanoes from New Labour are quoted with glee. A big headline for Mandelson: “I work every single day to oust Corbyn.” Mandelson had to resign twice from the cabinet in disgrace. Why give him such prominence, except to add to the anti-Corbyn mood music?

Broadcasters take their cue from the press. A report found that during the campaign for Corbyn’s re-election the BBC chose twice as many interviewees who were hostile to Corbyn as were supportive. The critique is personal and as vicious as that waged against Arthur Scargill. If evidence were needed of Corbyn’s strength, it is his ability to withstand this onslaught.''

Self-flagellation and denial of all the good things Labour did in power is precisely why they'll never be in power again. You wouldn't catch the Tories rubbishing their own brand like that.

''And what of the press? The abuse of the right wing is as crude as we could have expected. But the papers that present themselves as radical have been revealed to be nothing of the sort. The Guardian and Mirror have become cheerleaders for the old Labour establishment. Column after column demands that Corbyn should go. Extinct volcanoes from New Labour are quoted with glee. A big headline for Mandelson: “I work every single day to oust Corbyn.” Mandelson had to resign twice from the cabinet in disgrace. Why give him such prominence, except to add to the anti-Corbyn mood music?

Broadcasters take their cue from the press. A report found that during the campaign for Corbyn’s re-election the BBC chose twice as many interviewees who were hostile to Corbyn as were supportive. The critique is personal and as vicious as that waged against Arthur Scargill. If evidence were needed of Corbyn’s strength, it is his ability to withstand this onslaught.''

BULLSHIT.