Norwich v Newcastle 14th Feb

The Fish

NUFC v NCFC  

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Regardless of how much we dominated, when you're 2-1 down with ten minutes to go and get something out of the game it's points gained.

A noteworthy point on that graph above, McClaren last year led us to our lowest 31 game points total since 3 points for a win was introduced.  Rafa has led us to our highest.  Different leagues maybe, but remarkable over a 35 year period that the 2 extremes have come in the last 2 seasons.

We got a point which on a night where Brighton also only gained a point is ok.

I will cut Darlow slack because on a whole he has been the best keeper in the league by far and saved us many a time.

Hopefully now with Gayle back we can kick on.

That results feels about right - and if you lot are saying that we dominated anyway, then actually, that should surely allay some concerns? We (marginally) outplayed Norwich away. We can get a result against anyone really, is what that tells us.

That results feels about right - and if you lot are saying that we dominated anyway, then actually, that should surely allay some concerns? We (marginally) outplayed Norwich away. We can get a result against anyone really, is what that tells us.

Aye

Their defending in the first 30mins was shambolic really and we should have capitalised.

Brighton dropped points at home to Ipswich, we grabbed a point away to Norwich. We remain top of the pile and while the Play-off chasing sides picked up a little ground, they're still far enough behind that 1 weekend's results can't see either Brighton or ourselves usurped in the automatic spots.

Last night was a freak result to be honest as our general play seemed to deserve all 3pts, but we lost 2 goals to aberrant errors. Darlow's slice was bizarre and if there's one thing I'm sure of, he won't try that again. Lascelle's slip could be a foul, might not be, but he was dominant against Wolves and for the most part (according to a Norwich supporting mate at the game) had a decent game. Take out those two unusual instances and we scored twice away from home, hit the woodwork twice, drew a few good saves from their 'keeper and created plenty. 16 attempts from open play, 62% possession, forced 6 saves.

I don't have anywhere near the same levels of concern I've seen on here (and on twitter).

The next group of games is tough, no doubt, but we're the best away side in the country, we've our top goal scorer coming back, key players are returning from injury or absence (Hayden, Atsu, Diame) and the teams around us have difficult fixtures too;

2nd Brighton 65pts - WWLDWD

Barnsley 9th (a)

Reading 4th (h)

Newcastle 1st (h)

Forest 17th (a)

3rd Huddersfield 61pts- LWWWWW

Man City FACup (h)

Reading 4th (h)

Barnsley 9th (a)

Wolves 18th (a)

Newcastle 1st (h)

4th Reading 60pts- WWWDDW

Huddersfield 3rd (a)

Brighton 2nd (a)

Wolves 18th (h)

Newcastle 1st (h)

5th Leeds 57pts- LWWLLW

Ipswich 13th (a)

Shef Wed 6th (h)

Birmingham 14th (a)

Fulham 8th (a)

We've won 35 points on the road. We have more overall league wins (21) & more away league wins (11) than any other club in the top 4 English divisions this season. Before last night we’d conceded an almost inconsequential 8 league goals and been behind for a grand total of 65 minutes away from home. Last season away from home, we were only ahead for 92 minutes in total. This season, in the league, we’ve been behind for 281 minutes, from c2,790 minutes possible. That’s only 10%. We’ve only had to endure chasing a game for 10% of the season. Quit your whining.

Edited by The Fish

Obviously performances will vary but just going by the radio commentary and the highlights chances, we played a hell of a lot better last night than at wolves and tbh the other away games recently.

Maybe Norwich are more open than other teams but I was encouraged by the step-up especially as the three "scary" fixtures are all against teams who are similarly open as far as I can see.

Lascelles was out muscled for both their goals by Cameron Jerome, who's probably played over 100 premier league games. Lascelles has played barely 20. He's still learning the game tbh. Looks like overall we played pretty well, tbh before the weekend I'd have taken four points from the 2 games. Brighton aren't playing that well, Reading and Huddersfield are being a bit more consistent at the moment than them. If we win our next two home games and avoid defeat at the 3 away games at the end of Feb/beginning of March, I think we'll be looking good.

From the footage I saw of their first goal, it looked like a clear foul to me.  I certainly don't think Lascelles covered himself in any glory but Jerome seemed to come straight through the back of him.

It seems like we were a bit unlucky not to win it.  I'm sure they can say they battled hard and deserved the draw and there's probably some merit in that, but it seems that we had most of the play and a created quite a bit (which is a definite positive for me).  I've got time for Mitro but you'd think if Gayle had played from the start he'd have scored.  I'm sure he'll start on Monday providing he has no reaction before then.  Sounds like Perez played well which is nice to hear.  We've seen precious few good performances from him in the last 18 months.

Lascelles was out muscled for both their goals by Cameron Jerome, who's probably played over 100 premier league games. Lascelles has played barely 20. He's still learning the game tbh. Looks like overall we played pretty well, tbh before the weekend I'd have taken four points from the 2 games. Brighton aren't playing that well, Reading and Huddersfield are being a bit more consistent at the moment than them. If we win our next two home games and avoid defeat at the 3 away games at the end of Feb/beginning of March, I think we'll be looking good.

Lascelles should have just shifted the ball for the first goal but it was definitely a foul, for the second Darlow has clearly shouted for the ball which is why he ducked under it, Jerome didn't out muscle him. Lascelles needs an experienced centre half next to him, he's prone to errors. But then again we've needed a solid, experienced centre back for years and have never fixed the problem.

C4q_Ina_JXAAAEAh_W_jpg_large.jpg

The league table at this time in 09/10.

We have 3 more points, as Fish alluded to. However, we got 39 points out of the 45 available in last 15.

What's noticeable is that, other than Forest, no one else was really in touching distance. Whereas this year Reading and Huddersfield are both keeping us honest. Has to be noted that Forest fell away badly at the end, though.

EDIT: Please do tell me an easier way of sharing locally saved images on here :D

Edited by rogerbarton

The difference in goal difference between us and the other teams this year is ridiculous.  We were 8 better off than Forrest in third last time.  We're more that 20 better off than anyone in the playoff positions this year.

It won't count for nowt if we don't take one of those top 2 positions though. I just don't fancy the play offs as I've said before I don't like them. Top 3 up bottom 3 down that's the way it should be.

I honestly don't understand this negativity.

Top of the league, most wins in the country, disgusting GD, efficient away from home, top goal scorer, arguably best midfielder in the league, good defence for this division, top class manager.

I honestly don't understand this negativity.

Top of the league, most wins in the country, disgusting GD, efficient away from home, top goal scorer, arguably best midfielder in the league, good defence for this division, top class manager.

Experience /Genetics.

It's telling that this negativity has come after that Autumn run where we looked unbeatable. We haven't reached those heights but we've had fixture congestion, Gayle injured, Shelvey suspended, two lads away at AFCON etc. I can see us getting back to form in the Easter when the end is in sight, especially if we get through Brighton, Huddersfield and Reading without getting beat.