Newcastle United V Bristol City 25/2/17

Anorthernsoul

Toon V Bristol City  

32 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

We've gone off the boil these last few games we never look comfortable even when winning. All very exciting & that, but I disagree that you can be happy about today's result as I type this we are now 2nd as Brighton are 2-0 up look very confident in fact it wouldn't surprise me if they score another couple. They look the total opposite of us when we went 2-0 up against Villa. I just hope the likes of the QPR & Norwich games don't come back to haunt us we scored in the 1st minute of both games & drew both games 2-2. When you'd have expected us to take all the points. I still think if we play like we did today especially the first half over the next 3 games they'll hurt us. I hope I'm wrong because as I've said I don't agree or fancy our chances in the play offs.

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where did I say I was happy about the result? I said I was glad they come back from 2 goals down at half time to earn a point in a game everyone had wrote us out of getting anything from. We're the same amount of points clear of Huddersfield as we were before the game, a game in which we played poorly on the day and Huddersfield were seemingly having a good game in their fixture. 

Aye we've not looked great recently but we're still staying ahead of the chasing pack. Brighton have played well today but there have been plenty games recently where they've looked worse than we have today, and worse than we have recently. That's what happens, teams have bad games. It's no good to worry about playing like we did today for the next 3 games, what happens if we play brilliantly in the next 3 fixtures? It's just as likely to happen imo, we're top 2 for a reason man. 

Edited by Howay

Watched the Brighton v Reading game today and we should be really worried about Tuesday. Can't say they were spectacular but they put on a decent performance IN EACH HALF and played good football.

They are on top and they have closed the goal difference.

Where did I say I was happy about the result? I said I was glad they come back from 2 goals down at half time to earn a point in a game everyone had wrote us out of getting anything from. We're the same amount of points clear of Huddersfield as we were before the game, a game in which we played poorly on the day and Huddersfield were seemingly having a good game in their fixture. 

Aye we've not looked great recently but we're still staying ahead of the chasing pack. Brighton have played well today but there have been plenty games recently where they've looked worse than we have today, and worse than we have recently. That's what happens, teams have bad games. It's no good to worry about playing like we did today for the next 3 games, what happens if we play brilliantly in the next 3 fixtures? It's just as likely to happen imo, we're top 2 for a reason man.

Guess I'm just being a "big girls blouse" but honestly the thought of the play offs. Ive never agreed with them also the chance that we could miss out on promotion & being stuck down here would be bloody awful. I remember at the beginning of the season & people saying we'd piss the league ok were 2nd 5 points clear of the play offs but we're hardly pissing it.

IN EACH HALF

This was the big difference for us today.  The first half we looked like we'd come out for an extended warm up.   We had no urgency or desire to push forward and with players walking about looking at the ground.  Whatever was said at half time changed the game and showed what we can do and need to be doing from kick off.  

Guess I'm just being a "big girls blouse" but honestly the thought of the play offs. Ive never agreed with them also the chance that we could miss out on promotion & being stuck down here would be bloody awful. I remember at the beginning of the season & people saying we'd piss the league ok were 2nd 5 points clear of the play offs but we're hardly pissing it.

Nah you're not being a big girls blouse you're just being too negative imo, it's pointless worrying about things to this amount until it's out of our hands. Currently it's very much in our hands, even if we lose to Brighton and Hudds win their fixture we're still 2 points clear and that's pretty much worst case scenario. So we'd still be playing Hudds ahead of them.

We really are pissing it tbh, iirc we have more points than we did last time at this stage in the season (or we did sometime in the last 2 games) it's just Brighton and Huddersfield are also pissing the league which is rare. If we do lose the next two and Huddersfield win their next two then we can start to worry as it's then out of our hands but even then we'd have 11 games to make up a 1 point difference with a far superior GD.

We're not going to look stunning in many games tbh, we're a pragmatic side. Teams are more open against Brighton and Huddersfield than they are against us where they favour sitting deep and trying to play on the counter. This gives their flair players more space to operate and more chances of getting man advantages in attacking phases. I'm confident we'll get a result against Brighton as I think they'll come at us, we beat them last time we played where they looked fucking shite. 

Edited by Howay

Aye that's it Howay, I think we'll be fine. We could do with picking up 4 points from the next 3 games but even if we don't I still think we'll be going up. Even 1 point from the next 3 wouldn't be too bad, as long as that point comes against Huddersfield. However I think we'll pick up at least 6 and we'll be looking fine. Would be better if we didn't have Perez and mitro playing together - one of the softest strike partnerships I can remember us having, total powderpuff

How the fuck we haven't won that? Two absolute howlers, (2nd 100% down to Darlow btw, not Dummett) is beyond me. Mitrovic was mitrovic, nothing new but we still had loads of opportunities to hurt them go begging. Atsu was absolute fucking gash after initially getting into good positions, hitting the other corner flag four times when past the full back is unforgivable and as bad as Darlow and Yedlin for the goals. At least we fought back. On any other day that's as comfortable a home win as you'll get. We still should've won even after being 2-0 down.

Aye that's it Howay, I think we'll be fine. We could do with picking up 4 points from the next 3 games but even if we don't I still think we'll be going up. Even 1 point from the next 3 wouldn't be too bad, as long as that point comes against Huddersfield. However I think we'll pick up at least 6 and we'll be looking fine. Would be better if we didn't have Perez and mitro playing together - one of the softest strike partnerships I can remember us having, total powderpuff

Agreed, Huddersfield have only got this close on the back of a mental run of wins which is unsustainable tbh. Any drop off that form with us maintaining our form (which has been fairly consistent through the season) and we're pulling away from them again. 

Agree about Perez and Mitro, I'd like to see more of the match but anytime the ball fell to Perez the move seemed to break down. Maybe Diame would be better but as I've said he's not exactly shone much himself. 

I was and Atsu was a much needed boast, especially in the second half.  

He put at least 6 brilliant balls across and no-one gambled on it. Mitrovic is fucking awful, shocking. He will never score goals for this club. I'd play Murphy every day before him. Shift the cunt in the summer regardless.

Mitro has been poor this season in the limited time he's had. Looks off the pace and where he looked quite dominant in the air in the premier league he hasn't im the championship. I've been disappointed based primarily on expectations from last season. At the same time comsidering his age it would be silly to sell him.without giving him a proper go.

Their first goal looked well offside? Had to be surely?

Thought so too on first viewing but he's not, we stepped up a fraction too late to catch him unfortunately.

How we've not won with the chances made in the second half though I do not know

Wonder why we're not as confident at home as we are on the road. Someone on twitter was saying Lascelles was having to tell the crowd to calm down, it might be that the home fans are expecting to turn up and watch the title-toppers blow away all before them. 

Reminds me of my Dad and his mates; any dropped points and we're doomed, any win is bucking some made-up trend. 

People are genuinely talking about us not only dropping to the Play-offs, but once there they're confident we wouldn't get back into the Premier League via that route either...

C5lPQToXEAAUKwa.jpg

There's only Huddersfield to worry about, really. Just need to make sure we beat them and continue to average 2 points a game till the end of the season and we'll be fine.

Aye, and 5pts and a vastly superior GD should mean we're canny anyway. As Howay says, their form is surely unsustainable and while we've not been brilliant, we've managed to turn our narrow frustrating losses, into narrow frustrating draws.

Mitro has been poor this season in the limited time he's had. Looks off the pace and where he looked quite dominant in the air in the premier league he hasn't im the championship. I've been disappointed based primarily on expectations from last season. At the same time comsidering his age it would be silly to sell him.without giving him a proper go.

Aye, he looks fucking shite at the moment and, add to that, is a red card waiting to happen. I'd start Murphy although he's not up to much either.

There's only Huddersfield to worry about, really. Just need to make sure we beat them and continue to average 2 points a game till the end of the season and we'll be fine.

Agreed. We're currently averaging 2.12 points a game which extrapolated is 98 points, yet people seem to be genuinely panicking.

I'd be really disappointed if we went up in 2nd place. This squad will be awful in the Premier League and I don't believe Ashley will spend anywhere near the amount required to make us decent. If we go up, I can see us being dire but at least we might have won the league the previous season.

I'd be really disappointed if we went up in 2nd place. This squad will be awful in the Premier League and I don't believe Ashley will spend anywhere near the amount required to make us decent. If we go up, I can see us being dire but at least we might have won the league the previous season.

Maybe Ashley will spend more if we come second, who knows. Also I think you have to give Brighton and Hughton huge credit here.

Players will want to come and play for Rafa though. He knows how to manage in that league and win cups so it's not all doom and gloom. Agree that Ashley potentially returning to the dark side is a concern though as it threatens Benitez's future.

As for mitro, he's been one of the big disappointments this season - along with Perez. Given how the likes of shola did in the championship, I expected better from both

Maybe Ashley will spend more if we come second, who knows. Also I think you have to give Brighton and Hughton huge credit here.

Hughton has done a brilliant job at Brighton. He did a great job with us, Birmingham, and Norwich too. He has also gone about it with great humility. He's one of the good guys and also a very good manager.

I wasn't suggesting that we have a divine right to beat Brighton, which we clearly don't as Hughton has built a cracking team and made some shrewd signings. The point I was making was that I'd get far more pleasure from us winning The Championship than I would from us getting back to The Premier League. That's why I don't want to finish second.