Brighton v Newcastle United

wykikitoon

Whats the score like?  

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

A deserved win if not through 100% deserved circumstances. Had Murphy or Atsu put their chances away from the 'keeper a 2-1 win would seem just.

Win against Huddersfield and we go 11pts clear of 3rd and, if Brighton don't bounce back against Forest, 4-5pts clear of 2nd.

Huddersfield will be a massive game, but they play Man city tonight and injuries to key players, a humiliating defeat, a gruelling battle into penalties, are all possibilities. Impossible to predict how they'd react to that as well. A humiliating 4-0 might give them a fire in their belly to bounce back, or it could crush their spirits. A win against Premier League opposition could fill them with confidence, or it could lead to complacency...

Huddersfield are all about the hard-pressing style, so I don't think Gouffran's bang average movement would reap any rewards, but a 'Big Man' might. Each player is going to be under a lot of pressure, so we shouldn't play powder puff midfielders like Perez (despite his goal), or a liability like Colback. I'd prefer Diame and Hayden, but I'm not sure if the latter is fit?

We'll not win because I'm going. I'd also expect them to rest quite a few at man city tonight so wouldn't expect injuries from that. My one away game this year in a season of multi away wins? Fucking Blackburn. :lol:

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just had another sober look this morning on their site. Quite a number in serious denial, also one or two going on about how many Defoe would score as if he'd be anywhere near the league as a Sunderland player. If they go down and don't hit lucky with new signings from any money brought in from sales they are absolutely fucked.

We'll not win because I'm going. I'd also expect them to rest quite a few at man city tonight so wouldn't expect injuries from that. My one away game this year in a season of multi away wins? Fucking Blackburn. :lol:

I've seen us win at Barnsley, Leeds and Preston so far so I'm hoping I can continue being a lucky charm for us down there on Saturday night.

Thought that was a thoroughly deserved win last night.  More of the ball, more corners, more attempts, more attempts on target and more goals.  I don't think you can get much more clear than that (especially when their penalty was soft at best).  Superb finish by Diame as well.  If Messi or Zlatan had done that they would have been replaying it for years.

Is there a myth they would walk this league?  I assume if there is it's only amongst their ranks.  Didn't one of the pundits say the other week that without Defoe they'd be lucky to be a mid table championship team?  Thinking Defoe would stay with them if they go down is the biggest denial I've ever heard.

Rafa obviously went with a game plan to win a narrow game, gouffrans movement up front is similar to gayles (not saying as good) but to play either of mitrovic or Murphy against their two 6'4" centre backs for 90 minutes would have been pointless IMO.

The one on one was something he earned through his own hard work, neither Murphy or mitrovic would have done that.

Passing the ball backwards means me keep the ball.. Meaning they don't have the ball. How is this hard to understand?

Rafa timed the substitution well, Murphy was more effective coming off the bench and would probably have been nullified from the first whistle had he started - don't think Gouffran would have offered much coming off the bench either tbh.

That ball by Ritchie though, unreal.

He's just so much better on that right hand side. I hate seeing him out on the left.

It's rumoured he gets a free transfer if they go down so it's a moot point. I'm sure Anichebe and Borini will bang them in though

I'd crease if we signed Defoe on a free.

Speaking of Dummett, that's another game this season where he's kept some of the "best" wingers in the league quiet. When he has to, he can stay focused and do a really good job. I agree though, I like to see full backs bombing on but I think Yedlin often looks more exposed at FB than Dummett

Rafa obviously went with a game plan to win a narrow game, gouffrans movement up front is similar to gayles (not saying as good) but to play either of mitrovic or Murphy against their two 6'4" centre backs for 90 minutes would have been pointless IMO.

The one on one was something he earned through his own hard work, neither Murphy or mitrovic would have done that.

Passing the ball backwards means me keep the ball.. Meaning they don't have the ball. How is this hard to understand?

I agree with most of that.  It was obvious to me that Rafa saw playing one of our big lumps against their big lumps from the start wouldn't have done us any good.  Gouffran's movement was much better than either Mitro or Murphy could have managed, although I think it's harsh to say that either of those two wouldn't have done the hard work to get the opportunity that Gouffran (poorly) missed.  Mitro has certainly been putting a great deal of effort in recently.  Against Villa in particular he was sprinting all over the place late on in the game.

If we're going to use Gouffran in that way again, one thing he needs to work on is being in the box more though.  Too many times we were looking to play the ball in and we didn't have a striker in there.  The benefit of having Ritchie and Atsu either side of him did mean that more often than not, one of them were in the box though.

Edited by David Kelly

I'd prefer Diame and Hayden, but I'm not sure if the latter is fit?

He was on crutches on Saturday so he's still nowhere near

:D

Enjoyed the ending to this and not much else. If we can muster a win from the Huddersfield game then we're over the line IMO. We'll have broken our two closest challengers.

It seems completely lost on them that we have improved fucking massively since being the team they finished 1 point above (also ignoring the fact that if Rafa had come in a few games earlier we'd have stayed up). It's also worth noting they've probably got worse over the same period. They're in for a real shock if they think they can match what we've done this season, they'll be closer to resembling Villa iyam.

Some of the logic is a bit of a mess; Newcastle are shite, but they should be 20pts clear. They could be in real trouble if they don't sort their shit out. They're not just an underperforming talented squad lacking in commitment, nor are they just a plucky side, working their arse off but ultimately lacking in quality. They're shite and​ indifferent. £20m could buy the talented individual to help someone like Norwich survive, or be spent on 4 grafting pros to help Villa stay up. £20m couldn't buy enough talent, or enough graft to save Sunderland and they don't have 2p to rub together anyway. They've only Pickford who'll raise any serious funds, not nearly enough to overhaul a squad.

If they do succumb to their fate this season, and nothing drastic happens behind the scenes, they could be fucked.

Here, Mr Badluck, stay the fuck home, eh?

Few fly punches thrown coming out of the ground last night, not surprising give the exuberance of our celebrations :D

Like most I questioned the selection but it worked a charm, Gouff worked their bruisers at the back really well and when Murphy came on and we could be a bit more direct they were fucked. Brilliant ball by Ritchie for second goal.

Absolutely no coincidence that when that useless cunt goes off we look more dangerous. Why he still gets a game is anyone's guess.

Who the fuck decided he was a footballer!?

Is there a myth they would walk this league?  I assume if there is it's only amongst their ranks.  Didn't one of the pundits say the other week that without Defoe they'd be lucky to be a mid table championship team?  Thinking Defoe would stay with them if they go down is the biggest denial I've ever heard.

Oh aye, it's only on RTG :lol:

Evveryone else knows they will do a Villa

RTG match thread hilarious. They're shit/Rafa's shit-brighton WTF you doing?- they're both shit we're better than both- mags luckiest team ever- it's a shit league we'll not struggle- lucky fucking mags etc.

:lol: :lol:

on any reference to their Beach Ball goal

"No where near as lucky, no matter how many times you mags trot it out. A shot on target, hits a big fuck off balloon that's in front of the goal and goes in. Yours was a mis hit shot that is going for a throw, that then hits another player that then deviates it onto another players heel and it then loops into the only place it would go in."

What a great 3 points. Tactics, selection and performance were excellent, and pretty much everyone did a good job bar the ref. First goal was lucky but we've had very little luck this season in my opinion. One think that I haven't heard mentioned much was that the pitch was very, very poor, which as far as I could see suited Brighton a lot more than us. I've been critical of Perez and I think he's shown that he can't be trusted to start games but got to give him great credit for coming on and putting that one away - what a goal. Shelvey wasn't able to dictate the play as much as he often has done this season - possibly due to Brighton being really well organised and conditions being difficult, but we still found a way to win. That's been a defining characteristic of Rafa's career almost everywhere he's been - his teams find a way to win more often than not and it's absolutely class that we're seeing it at Newcastle now. 2 points per game between now and the end of the season get's us almost to 100 points, can't imagine us getting less than 90, we'll be up with games to spare. This squad is doing a cracking job  :up:  

I think Rafa deserves most credit for going all out attack in the last 9mins

Mclaren and Pardew would have sat back trying to preserve the draw and ultimately lost the game. Rafa spotted that we are incapable of defending a draw and look much better going forward so chucked on Perez

Edited by StraightEdgeWizard