Huddersfield v Newcastle United 04/03/2017

The Fish

HTFC v NUFC  

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

We've scored more goals than anyone yet we've had miles less penalties than the likes of Brighton. There's no way the refs have favoured us.

Rafa clearly understands that possession doesn't mean points and set us up perfectly. Yes I would have liked to have seen us do a bit better with the ball at times really given that never never managed a shot from inside the box in open play, we did better with the ball than them. It's great to have a manager who can come up with different plans against different teams and get the players to implement them.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read a bit of match thread from a Huddrersfield forum linked on N-O and apart from being hilariously clueless, I was struck by a few comments which I've read elsewhere that the refs are favouring us.

I know I'm biased but I think the opposite with Fulham being the starting point and the nadir abviously being that cunt at Forest.

Can ayone think of any games where we have been favoured in a game changing manner? - I rememeber bullshit whinges from Monk at Leeds and Lambert at Wolves but overall I think we've been fucked over quite a few times - and we're still fucking top.

Preston fans are still bitter when we played them at Deepdale in October, where they should have had 2 penalties in stoppage time. Apparently.

I think the Preston one probably was a penalty in stoppage time, but that's pretty much the only one. Both penalties yesterday were fairly soft and the Murphy goal was completely fair by any interpretation of the laws.

Still got another two tricky games to come - Reading away and then Fulham, who are a decent team, at home where we look a lot weaker.

Well that was some day, great win, bruised shins from going ape shit for the goals, lost my wedding ring clapping the O'Brien chant and flapped for the last few minutes until a kid found it for me just after the full time whistle, (I had a few looking for it). Been rough round the edges today as I'd had a canny sup. :D

Feels to me like we dealt Brighton a lethal blow on Tuesday and Huddersfield yesterday. Brighton being stuffed by Forest seems to bear this out, much like Norwich had a huge drop in form when we reversed them in extra time. The Gods have spoken.

Aye, it was a hard shot right to the nads on both. Their players had started to think (along with a lot of the dickheads in the press) that they were better than our lot, both those games were a massive reality check.

As Haydator said the Huddersfield fans can delude themselves that they were the better side in that game because they held the ball for long stretches, but as I and many others have said on here you cannot say that if your side do absolutely nothing at all with the ball. It would have been one thing if it was like that game we had against Fulham all those years ago iirc Mark Crossley was in nets and we absolutely fucking peppered the goal from inside the area but couldn't get past him, Saha scored from 4 counter attacks and the ref gave us a hand when Bellamy climbed all over a defender to give us a late consolation.

Even then though being the 'better side' means fuck all, you didn't win and they cannot point to anything in that game that went against them imo (the pen was soft but the player did clip Ritchie, and then they got a soft pen given their way). People can piss, twist, and moan all they want but they will not convince me that Huddersfield were hard done by or that they were the better side in that match, we controlled the game without the ball, they only had possession in areas we allowed them to have it and once they tried to encroach in an area we didn't want them to have it our defence put a stop to it (anytime they came central about 30 yards from goal, or anytime they cut into the box from the wings). Their crossing was beyond pathetic, their free kicks and corners were quite frankly fucking embarrassing, and they had zero incisive passing moves through the middle of the park. As I said earlier after seeing them and Brighton I'll be fucking buzzing for them two to come up with us as they'd be cannon fodder unless they massively improve.

Also nah NJS I agree with you, I've seen people (mostly mackems) mentioning refs being in our favor or us being lucky and I disagree. I said in another thread, for the amount of possession we have had over this season particularly inside opposition areas or on the edge of their box we've had a suspiciously low amount of penalties and near free kicks compared with the amount given against us despite the fact possession in our area is fairly rare. The Nottingham game was an out and out disgrace and I still feel that needs investigated, the bloke done absolutely everything he could do to give them 3 points. To a (slightly) lesser extent the Sheffield Wednesday match was similar as he simply wouldn't stop the Wednesday players from committing flagrant fouls anytime our players broke away despite the same players doing it 6 or more times. In comparison to the way Wednesday were treated vs us they had two players sent off against Brighton, one for violent conduct but the other was extremely similar to the type of shit he was getting away with against us. 

Massive post I know but I'm just honestly sick to the back teeth of the mackems (pundits and fans of other Championship sides) belittling the job our side are doing, it's pathetic on all their parts (particularly the pundits/commentators). The amount of fucking excuses they're coming up with as to why bilge teams like Huddersfield, Brighton etc are better than us is a joke, they were even doing it before a ball was kicked about Norwich and Aston Villa "oh well Alex Neil has experience getting a side promoted whereas Benitez doesn't". I'm glad they're all seething as we cruise to the top, I hope we hang on to Rafa in all and have a belta next season. We all know that'll be the next thing from the mackems mind, "aye well Rafa will be off once your up" well he was utter shite when he 'took us down' wasn't he? They all need to make their fucking minds up, or perhaps they should just focus on their hovel of a club who have a manager that seems to be a decade past his prime with a face 3000 years past it's prime.

:lol: I love it when they call him shite like. He's got more trophies than they had supporters in the ground at the final whistle today

:lol: :lol:

They were almost unanimous that they'd rather have had Fat Sam over him. 

edit: I will say even though I'm calling them shite that Wagner is a good manager, I can't say I really rate many of their players and he has them 3rd in the league. He needs to learn that a goalkeeper just touching the ball doesn't mean he can't be challenged but aside from that he seems switched on.

Edited by Howay

:up: All spot on, Howay. Especially regarding pundits and commentators.

Only Sky pundit I've actually enjoyed listening to that covers Championship games is Peter Beagrie, the rest talk utter shite 99% of the time. I think that opinion of mine comes from the Forest away game, Sky commentators going on about Shelvey's red card like, "Ah, Shelvey's got that in his locker," fuck off man. Beagrie then said at halftime Shelvey's sending off was utter bollocks, which I've respected him for since. Decent all round pundit, n'al. Especially compared the absolute mongs that cover Championship games. Sky need a massive fucking purge, like.

Edited by Haydnator

Aye they definitely do. I just can't be arsed when pundits just trot out cliched sayings like what you're pointing to during the forest game, like aye Shelvey can be a divvy but he was kicking at thin air while being booted by that little slimeball Lansbury. It's just lazy on their part and it's just a bit pathetic when you consider that is what they get paid to do, it's like what I mentioned during the match the commentator at one point said that "Jack Colback is a brilliant player to have at this level" it's just utter fucking bollocks borne from the fact that commentator has never bothered watching us properly or even doing some research, he's just seen a bloke that has played a lot in the PL playing in the Championship saw him do one half decent thing and made that comment.

Massive post I know but I'm just honestly sick to the back teeth of the mackems (pundits and fans of other Championship sides) belittling the job our side are doing, it's pathetic on all their parts (particularly the pundits/commentators). The amount of fucking excuses they're coming up with as to why bilge teams like Huddersfield, Brighton etc are better than us is a joke, they were even doing it before a ball was kicked about Norwich and Aston Villa "oh well Alex Neil has experience getting a side promoted whereas Benitez doesn't". I'm glad they're all seething as we cruise to the top, I hope we hang on to Rafa in all and have a belta next season. We all know that'll be the next thing from the mackems mind, "aye well Rafa will be off once your up" well he was utter shite when he 'took us down' wasn't he? They all need to make their fucking minds up, or perhaps they should just focus on their hovel of a club who have a manager that seems to be a decade past his prime with a face 3000 years past it's prime.

Don Goodman is the worst, hates Newcastle and talks absolute shit :lol:

Don Goodman is the worst, hates Newcastle and talks absolute shit [emoji38]

I disagree - he was a disgrace at wolves but usually he's okay when we're playing anyone he hasn't played for. I'm not saying he's good but I don't think he's that biased.

That Prutton's the worst for me.

I think some people are going OTT on the tactical masterclass Rafa is supposed to have implemented.

We've done similar to Swansea in the last few years pre-Rafa where they just pass it to and fro for 80 odd minutes and we score the one chance we have.

What was different was that our defensive line was much higher and more of a unit so we never looked "camped out" and they rarely got through. We always looked more dangerous on the break and forced more (and better) saves from their keeper.

I think that is down to ongoing work with the players rather than tactical decisions for this one game.

Aye, it was a hard shot right to the nads on both. Their players had started to think (along with a lot of the dickheads in the press) that they were better than our lot, both those games were a massive reality check.

As Haydator said the Huddersfield fans can delude themselves that they were the better side in that game because they held the ball for long stretches, but as I and many others have said on here you cannot say that if your side do absolutely nothing at all with the ball. It would have been one thing if it was like that game we had against Fulham all those years ago iirc Mark Crossley was in nets and we absolutely fucking peppered the goal from inside the area but couldn't get past him, Saha scored from 4 counter attacks and the ref gave us a hand when Bellamy climbed all over a defender to give us a late consolation.

Even then though being the 'better side' means fuck all, you didn't win and they cannot point to anything in that game that went against them imo (the pen was soft but the player did clip Ritchie, and then they got a soft pen given their way). People can piss, twist, and moan all they want but they will not convince me that Huddersfield were hard done by or that they were the better side in that match, we controlled the game without the ball, they only had possession in areas we allowed them to have it and once they tried to encroach in an area we didn't want them to have it our defence put a stop to it (anytime they came central about 30 yards from goal, or anytime they cut into the box from the wings). Their crossing was beyond pathetic, their free kicks and corners were quite frankly fucking embarrassing, and they had zero incisive passing moves through the middle of the park. As I said earlier after seeing them and Brighton I'll be fucking buzzing for them two to come up with us as they'd be cannon fodder unless they massively improve.

Also nah NJS I agree with you, I've seen people (mostly mackems) mentioning refs being in our favor or us being lucky and I disagree. I said in another thread, for the amount of possession we have had over this season particularly inside opposition areas or on the edge of their box we've had a suspiciously low amount of penalties and near free kicks compared with the amount given against us despite the fact possession in our area is fairly rare. The Nottingham game was an out and out disgrace and I still feel that needs investigated, the bloke done absolutely everything he could do to give them 3 points. To a (slightly) lesser extent the Sheffield Wednesday match was similar as he simply wouldn't stop the Wednesday players from committing flagrant fouls anytime our players broke away despite the same players doing it 6 or more times. In comparison to the way Wednesday were treated vs us they had two players sent off against Brighton, one for violent conduct but the other was extremely similar to the type of shit he was getting away with against us.

Great post but tbh I quite like seeing the bitterness from opposition fans and pundits/presenters. When Man U were clawing the points back off us we were banging the drum but I think we all knew how it was going to end up. Rafa's United are a different set up as he he's far more pragmatic and the likes of Brighton, Reading and Huddersfield aren't Man U and don't have Ferguson managing them. Let the bitterness go on, it's fucking great reading and seeing it when we've just won again. :good:

I think some people are going OTT on the tactical masterclass Rafa is supposed to have implemented.

We've done similar to Swansea in the last few years pre-Rafa where they just pass it to and fro for 80 odd minutes and we score the one chance we have.

What was different was that our defensive line was much higher and more of a unit so we never looked "camped out" and they rarely got through. We always looked more dangerous on the break and forced more (and better) saves from their keeper.

I think that is down to ongoing work with the players rather than tactical decisions for this one game.

He said in his interview that it was a tactical decision to let them have the ball but to play with high intensity, stop them playing through the middle then hit them on the counter attack.

It was executed to the letter tbf

Absolutely delighted that we won this. Not bothered at all about whether or not it was merited given the number of occasions we've merited a win and had it stolen away from us one way or the other.

It does look like we've shot Brighton down, but I guess time will tell if the same effect will be had on Huddersfield. Either way, they're too far back now IMO. We really should be taking the title from here.

He said in his interview that it was a tactical decision to let them have the ball but to play with high intensity, stop them playing through the middle then hit them on the counter attack.

It was executed to the letter tbf

Aye, absolutely, but my point was that that's the same simple basic conclusion the likes of Pardew have been able to come to when playing this sort of opposition.  That's not what impressed me on Saturday.  The difference is the months of work on the training pitch and in games that leads to trust throughout the squad.  The confidence in pressing them back from 40 yards, rather than 18.  The pace of break and the pressing when the ball goes loose.

I don't blame Huddersfield fans for not seeing the difference in how Newcastle specifically have managed that sort of game before and how we do now.  But you'd think they would appreciate (having not lost at home since November) a team that was able to completely shut them down while taking the chances to win the game.

I was reading through a Huddersfield forum yesterday and some of them have seen this. I recall one poster making the observation that on the rare occasions they broke through, by the time the player in question looked up, 5 black and white shirts had sprinted back to position themselves between him and the goal. Some of them can see how well we defended.

Others think that the possession stat means this was a freak result. I suspect we'd get a very similar result if we played the match again.

Fish firmly on team bed wetter on Twitter like.

Behave, I just wasn't going to tempt fate by declaring the league was over with over 30 minutes of the game left to go. :lol:

Predicted before a ball was kicked we'd win the league and haven't waivered from that since.

Take off those rose-tinted specs you wankers, the best team lost. Huddersfield were dominant throughout. We were hardly ever in their half.

High marks for an epic defensive display, especially by Ritchie.

Zero marks for an offensive display that never materialized, even though we scored three times.

Demerits to Rafa for starting Anita at full-back, wor lass could have done better than that no pace lightweight.

Did Diame accomplish owt?

Anita and Dummett didn't do much to stop their wide players from causing havoc.

Extremely happy to get 3 points even though I don't think we deserved them.

Huddersfield dominated possession and shots, but didn't dominate shots on target or, most importantly, goals. I can't think of an obvious chance that Huddersfield had, the saves Darlow made weren't spectacular and were mostly from potshots. So while they had the ball loads, they didn't create much if anything with it.

High marks indeed for a well disciplined, well organised, well martialled defence that followed through on a well thought out plan. A plan that included sacrificing attacking intent fully aware that if we stretched the game, Huddersfield's movement and high-press would undo us. A plan that included getting the ball back into their half quickly, which is why Clark and Lascelles went Route 1 and  didn't calmly knock it about at the back.

High marks for an attacking display that got 3 goals at the 3rd best home defence in the league. Murphy lead the line well, Atsu and Ritchie were more focussed on providing defensive support and denying Huddersfield space, and they did that very well. We don't always need to dominate teams to win.

Understand playing Anita, Yedlin will be tiring and Anita is more defensively minded.

Diame wasn't great going forward but was busy defensively. Most on the pitch for successful tackles (8/10), and blocks (4).

The wide men that Anita and Dummett were tasked with stopping produced no assists and scored no goals.

I sort of agree with my crusty ole friend Noellie. :thumbup:

He did say he was pleased with the 3 points. But wholly shmolly, we did nowt with the ball all game.  We gave the ball away so cheaply, especially Diame who never passes the ball.  And other than that, howay the lads!!! chansub-global-emoticon-89679577f86caf4e:nufc:

See above.

I doubt Rafa's plan was to allow Huddersfield to pitch their tents in our half of the field and camp there for the duration.

It was.

Can only really fully remember the goals and the drunken celebrations that followed  :whistling:

But it was the perfect away performance, they never troubled us apart from long range efforts which Darlow had comfortably. Can't believe after watching them (Huddersfield) that this was the team that so many of our lot were scared of regarding catching us, they were fucking shit. Their fans going on about how they were the better side, they can't simply grasp the basic concept of having loads of the ball means absolutely fuck all; we seen it under McClaren, the Sheff Wed cup game being a perfect example. Huddersfield were garbage, are a tinpot club and I hope they don't go up in the play offs, get Sheff Wed or Leeds up instead.

Anyway, think we're pretty much up now tbh.

Think you're being harsh on Huddersfield, they're a very good Championship side with a young promising manager. They were undone by a poor Premier League side with an exceptional manager. If they get promoted they'll cause a few of the weaker Premier League sides problems with their energy and movement, but they need to add quality up front. A mobile, pest of a striker would have caused us plenty of problems yesterday.

It doesn't take a tactical genius to work out how to beat Huddersfield, but it takes a top coach to drill it into average players, and to give them the confidence in the plan, and in each other. Mind, I'm always nervous when that's the game plan as it only takes an early goal the other way to tear that strategy up. Had Huddersfield got an early soft pen, would we have kept with the plan or pushed out more?

I think Shelvey deserves praise for playing more of a defensive game as part of the plan. Of course didn't stop him from making the second goal either.

But apparently according to the co-commentating cunts that Mooy is the best midfielder in the league.

I think Shelvey deserves praise for playing more of a defensive game as part of the plan. Of course didn't stop him from making the second goal either.

But apparently according to the co-commentating cunts that Mooy is the best midfielder in the league.

Aye, I heard that and was a bit baffled. Shelvey has been integral to the best team in the division, has scored and assisted, and is technically superior to Mooy. I'd say Conor Hourihane is better than Mooy too.