Huddersfield v Newcastle United 04/03/2017

The Fish

HTFC v NUFC  

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 276
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Beginning to look forward to next season now. It's not over, of course, but it would need quite a spectacular loss of form compared to anything else we've seen this season for us to fall out of the top two.

After seeing what was said at the fans' forum, it does look like Ashley might not be quite as daft as we feared in Jan. I genuinely think he will invest - like he did in McClaren's first season - to get us midtable in the PL. 

It'll be the first season we can enjoy in years. I expect us to avoid relegation fairly comfortably with Rafa at the helm, but would be more than happy with a bottom half finish for the first season. Realistically, though, with the right signings, why couldn't we be where West Brom are this season (last result aside)?

I'd expect top half with Rafa, if he's backed properly. Nothing to stop us challenging for top 7 with him in charge. After the top 6 there's a canny drop off to the rest.

#deludedmag

eg

Fans Forum

Phil Lee (PL) asked for assurances in relation to funds being available in the summer transfer window ahead of the 2017/18 season.

The club confirmed that plans were now progressing well for the summer, with manager Rafa Benítez working with Lee Charnley and the scouting team. While conversations about specific summer targets and budget are ongoing, the greater focus is presently on pushing for promotion and getting the best from its current players.

Chronicle

Newcastle assure fans summer transfer plans are already being worked on - and money's available

:lol:

17/18 Lower half of the table, but safe. :good:

18/19 Top half & a cup :nufc:

19/20 European campaign has us struggling so lower half but safe. :sweat:

20/21 Top half :MITRO:

eg

Fans Forum

Chronicle

Presumably it's only the "and money's available" part of that statement you have a problem with:

The club explained that it does not need, or intend, to sell key players in order to fund arrivals. However it confirmed that any funds received during the summer would contribute to the overall transfer budget.

I don't think you have to read too much into that to settle that issue.

17/18 Lower half of the table, but safe. :good:

18/19 Top half & a cup  :nufc:

19/20 European campaign has us struggling so lower half but safe. :sweat:

20/21 Top half :MITRO:

Rafa staying, lower mid table and a cup run next season would probably see me :wank: till 2020.

Rafa staying, lower mid table and a cup run next season would probably see me :wank: till 2020.

Who're you kidding? The sun setting and subsequently rising would have you spending all your time in your masturbatorium until 2020

What filled you with confidence?

The Chronicle spin on what was actually in the minutes was ludicrous.

Haven't actually read the minutes, so that's interesting to know. I suppose we'll just have to wait and see. Rafa has leverage in terms of proving to Ashley he's able to 'run' the club efficiently (without risk of relegation).

Presumably it's only the "and money's available" part of that statement you have a problem with:

I don't think you have to read too much into that to settle that issue.

They answered another question to the one asked.  Questioned on funds available they were keenest to say "the greater focus is presently on pushing for promotion and getting the best from its current players".

Of course no promoted side has any reason to sell, they've just increased their income manyfold and the wages have remained static.

The Chronicle going with that headline was daft.

Similarly the club said they were bound by regulations on safe standing and that they would not be forcing the issue until that changed, despite having seen what Celtic have done.  Headline from the chronicle was along the lines of   "How SJP is set to change over the next few years when safe standing comes in"

The other one was that there is no announcement on a sponsor, which the chronicle sold as BIG sponsor news.

Local papers are taking a pasting on their sales and find it difficult to drive traffic to their sites, so I feel for them, but the way they mined forum minutes that we could all read for ourselves for several overhyped stories was tabloidesque.

Their MO should be detailed insight and insider news from dedicated club reporters, but the approach seems to be to inflate stories already in the public domain and tag a load of adverts to it.  They're breaking the trust of readers that a click is worthwhile.

That sounds reasonable, was just responding to that one point (it was implicit that funds were available).

Their stance on vaping, however, is an outrage.  Firmly back on #teamHF :nufc:

Edited by adios

You have to feel a bit for the local hacks. They're forced to spin stuff with clickbait headlines because they've got to somehow generate daily copy out of one football club. Not easy to do without overhyping non stories - the alternative is empty columns on the back page

But if the club are dodging questions on funds for summer then that's a story. No mention of the promised training ground. That's a story.

They seem to be fearful of saying anything that will upset the fans who are well and truly on board for the Rafa revolution.

Surely anyone with any sense or memory can see the rebuild of the club supposedly going on is totally hollow though.

As a reporter you'd think there'd be some natural inclination to tell it how it is.

The MSM deserve everything they get

Not sure I think the Chronicle counts as the establishment MSM in all truth.

They literally forced ordinary Germans to become Nazis.

The Daily Mail was pretty pro-Hitler as I understand. To the point of having to have purged history of copies of articles they had out at the time ;)

Not sure I think the Chronicle counts as the establishment MSM in all truth.

The Daily Mail was pretty pro-Hitler as I understand. To the point of having to have purged history of copies of articles they had out at the time ;)

Didn't the Mirror and the Mail produce similar articles at around that time in support of the Blackshirts and so on? Doesn't fit the narrative of the evil Daily Mail if you expand that though. That said, the Mail fully deserves its rep