Best AV software

wykikitoon

I have just got a new laptop and with it comes Macafee for a month or so.  What's the best AV software nowadays?

Macafee is very resources intensive and invasive into your workflow. It's always running stuff in the background and has a largish memory footprint.

Two free ones that are good are Avast and AVG both of which I've used for ages. You can support these with something like Malwarebytes which you can set as passive and just run it once a week. MB will sometimes pick up adware of other nasty things that have evaded the core antivirus.

You can also set Avast to run minimally when you are doing processor intensive tasks so that it doesn't pester or slow things down.

http://uk.pcmag.com/antivirus-reviews/142/guide/the-best-free-antivirus-protection-of-2017

Edited by Park Life

I've used Avast and AVG in the past, but all the online advice at the moment is that the inbuilt windows software is okay unless you're a wrong un. Ask Howay what be uses? ;)