Reading v Newcastle United 07/03/2017

The Fish

Reading v Newcastle  

32 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he's young and still developing but he's definitely the 4th choice centre-forward at present and we only play one up top. We'll look to strengthen there in the summer and I think he'll be away. When I saw him against Bristol City he offered very little.

Finished, I expect him to move to the Bundesliga or some shit in the summer.

Ā 

:lol: Finished.

Ā 

I've not written him off yet. He's scored in the Premier League, he's scored in the Championship and while he hasn't set the division alight he's nowhere near as shit as some people are making out.

Ā 

He's just a victim of failing to meet the exaggerated expectations and is now the scape goat du jour. Soon enough it'll be back to Perez, or Diame, or Gouffran.

Ā 

People forget he's just a kid (22). He's younger than Atsu(25), Perez(23) or Sammy (24), but because of his size and reputationĀ people seem to expect him to be the finished article. :lol:

Leaving him out for Murphy is lunacy, there's only one if the two of them who has a chance to develop into a better striker, and ropey atm or not he's done alright in his time here, missed chances and had a bad run of it but Murphy is a career also ran not a 22yr old international with a chance

Murphy's a far better option atm so it's hardly lunacy.

Leaving him out for Murphy is lunacy, there's only one if the two of them who has a chance to develop into a better striker, and ropey atm or not he's done alright in his time here, missed chances and had a bad run of it but Murphy is a career also ran not a 22yr old international with a chance

Ā 

If it was a team lower down the division, I'd agree. Reading aren't Rotherham, so I'm happy enough Rafa's using the squad to deal with the rigours of the season. After Reading we've 4 very winnable games and I'd not be surprised to see Mitrovic and Murphy swapping the spot on the bench across them.

People are disappointed because he looked promising last season. He's been poor for large spells this season and hasn't taken the chance to impress on several occasions. I thought he'd get 15 goals easy in this division. Even shola managed a decent haul of goals last time. Wouldn't surprise me at all if we let him go and held on to Murphy as the big man off the bench option. He has looked a nuisance when called upon a his season, more so than mitro, it pains me to say.

If he's going to leave because he can't accept not getting into the squad when he doesn't warrant a place then he lacks the required temperament anyway imo*. His age in relevant in the sense of his potential development but not in terms of him starting (or getting a place on the bench) ahead of those more worthy at present.

Ā 

* Not saying he will, just responding to you arguing that's a possibility.

Edited by Alex

People are disappointed because he looked promising last season. He's been poor for large spells this season and hasn't taken the chance to impress on several occasions. I thought he'd get 15 goals easy in this division. Even shola managed a decent haul of goals last time. Wouldn't surprise me at all if we let him go and held on to Murphy as the big man off the bench option. He has looked a nuisance when called upon a his season, more so than mitro, it pains me to say.

In a nutshell

I presumed that if we go up we'll sell Murphy back to Ipswich or another similar club.

Ā 

Doesn't mean he doesn't have an important part to play for the rest of this season and he's doing better than Mitrovic at the moment.

If it was a team lower down the division, I'd agree. Reading aren't Rotherham, so I'm happy enough Rafa's using the squad to deal with the rigours of the season. After Reading we've 4 very winnable games and I'd not be surprised to see Mitrovic and Murphy swapping the spot on the bench across them.

Agreed, because it's a big match and a massive opportunity to more or less seal promotion.

Aye, I really want him to succeed but he's not performing at present.

:lol: Finished.

Ā 

I've not written him off yet. He's scored in the Premier League, he's scored in the Championship and while he hasn't set the division alight he's nowhere near as shit as some people are making out.

Ā 

He's just a victim of failing to meet the exaggerated expectations and is now the scape goat du jour. Soon enough it'll be back to Perez, or Diame, or Gouffran.

Ā 

People forget he's just a kid (22). He's younger than Atsu(25), Perez(23) or Sammy (24), but because of his size and reputationĀ people seem to expect him to be the finished article. :lol:

He's finished with us if Rafa thinks Murphy is a better option than Mitro at the moment...........

Ā 

Murphy's a far better option atm so it's hardly lunacy.

Agree with this, he's a better option at the moment and we need to think about now.

And not surprising given what we've seen from him. You've got to be hitting the target with at least half your chances. I'd be interested to know what his conversion rate is.

He has no pace, he can't shoot, he has no brain, no stamina, no positional sense, silly grin, neck tattoo, skirts with a red every challenge. Complete and total waste of space. Can head a bit sometimes if all the stars are alligned. :D

Ā 

donkey-1643064__340.jpg

Edited by Park Life

And not surprising given what we've seen from him. You've got to be hitting the target with at least half your chances. I'd be interested to know what his conversion rate is.

I could only find this..

Ā 

April 7th 20161/11

Ā 

Aleksandar Mitrovic

Ā 

Since moving to Newcastle at the start of the season for a whopping Ā£13m, Mitrovic has failed to galvanise his stuttering side, who face the realĀ threat of relegation from the Premier League.

Ā 

Ā 

The Serbian international has scored eight goals in his first season in England over 27 games. Not the worst return, but when you consider that the 21-year-old was playing as as lone striker for much of the campaign, eight goals are far too few, especially when Mitrovic has taken 54 shots this year, with a disappointingĀ conversion rate of 14.81%.

Ā 

Ā 

ā€‹Stats:

Ā 

Games: 27

Ā 

Goals: 8

Ā 

Total Shots: 54

Conversion Rate: 14.81%

I just can't fathom anyone having a pop at the manager for picking a player in form and performing ahead of the one who isn't. Lunacy tbh :razz:

I could only find this..

Ā 

April 7th 20161/11

Ā 

Aleksandar Mitrovic

Ā 

Since moving to Newcastle at the start of the season for a whopping Ā£13m, Mitrovic has failed to galvanise his stuttering side, who face the realĀ threat of relegation from the Premier League.

Ā 

Ā 

The Serbian international has scored eight goals in his first season in England over 27 games. Not the worst return, but when you consider that the 21-year-old was playing as as lone striker for much of the campaign, eight goals are far too few, especially when Mitrovic has taken 54 shots this year, with a disappointingĀ conversion rate of 14.81%.

Ā 

Ā 

ā€‹Stats:

Ā 

Games: 27

Ā 

Goals: 8

Ā 

Total Shots: 54

Conversion Rate: 14.81%

20 to 30% is what good strikers are at and over 30% is world class.

Ā 

Giroud, Saurez and Tevez and the like are around 25%.

Ā 

Messi, Greizmann, Costa, Lacazette are around 35%.

Ā 

Ā 

http://www.squawka.com/news/the-top-20-players-in-europe-ranked-by-conversion-rate/386017

Edited by Park Life

He's played 808 minutesĀ  but 41% of his 22 appearances have been for less than 12 minutes.

Ā 

C6USiJ8WYAAxlJW.jpg

Ā 

Shola was an experienced pro (29)Ā who'd played pretty much his entire career in the top flight of English football. Bit harsh to grade Mitro against him, no?

I think part of the problem is that Mitro is a "big man" striker who doesn't play like one. In his mind "being a nuisance to defenders" means all you have to do is foul them constantly. He doesn't have the work rate IMO to play the mostly thankless job of being a lone striker. Most of your time in that role should be spent making pointless runs to open space for players behind you, dragging defenders out of position, blocking them off on set plays, etc. On the relatively rare occasion where he gets the ball at his feet, back to goal, and can set up other players, he's shown some good touches. But he seems to think that should be happening on every play, and he takes the huff when he isn't constantly receiving the ball. He's immature and a hothead and to be brutally honest he's unreliable. Which is why Rafa isn't relying on him.

Ā 

On the other hand, Murphy is an extremely experienced pro who has been playing this role for a long time and he looks the part. When Rafa sent him on for 20 minutes against Brighton he knew exactly what the drill was and he stuck to it. Done exactly what we bought him for if you ask me, chipped in with a few goals, and he's got my appreciation.Ā 

I just can't fathom anyone having a pop at the manager for picking a player in form and performing ahead of the one who isn't. Lunacy tbh :razz:

Ā 

I totally agree that in this fixture, Murphy is a the better option. However, it's mental that people are writing off a 22yr old striker, despite evidence that he can finish (4 goals), he canĀ provide (3 assists)Ā and he can keep his head. He has 3 yellows in the league, which is the same as Gayle and Gouffran, and no red cards.

I totally agree that in this fixture, Murphy is a the better option. However, it's mental that people are writing off a 22yr old striker, despite evidence that he can finish (4 goals), he canĀ provide (3 assists)Ā and he can keep his head. He has 3 yellows in the league, which is the same as Gayle and Gouffran, and no red cards.

He completely rubbish. 1 in 6 isn't finishing. Age has nothing to do with it. Strikers have to have one or two of the skill sets or they don't. He's not going to develop pace as he gets older or become more mobile or magically gain close control. A striker has to have some of these assets as a given. If he had pace or football intelligence or good close control or perhaps stamina (always looks tired) then you can argue over time he can bring on the other parts of his game. He doesn't have much core ability, almost nothing to build on. He'll be the same as he is now at 28. He is sort of Shola level.

Ā 

Even at Arsenal Wenger has had young strikers with pace and close control miles ahead of Mitro but still never made it under the best possible environment.

Edited by Park Life