Newcastle United v Fulham 11/03/2017

The Fish

NUFC v FFC  

31 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Not saying Rafa is beyond criticism, but he does have us top of the table with 9 to go. Not as if we expected this to be an easy stroll at the start of the season with our squad, so he's dong something right to have us at the top. I haven't been able to see matches over here - just highlights and reading the reports. Perez has 6 goals and 5 assists with only 18 starts, if anything I thought Rafa had been as guilty of under utilizing him as McClaren. Has he really been that bad? He's looked good from what I've seen, which is admittedly limited. Not going to argue about Colback.

Not saying there's no room for criticism, but to have us at the top with 9 matches left, I have confidence he'll know how to adjust. We were never going to run the table without another loss or two.

Yes Perez has been pretty awful most of the time this season, as he was last.  The lack of a decent number 10 has been a problem for us this season.  Neither him or Diame have performed there which makes it all the more infuriating that Rafa hasn't tried to have a go with Mitro or Murphy up with Gayle for more than five minutes here or there.

And of course Rafa deserves a hell of a lot of credit for getting us to where we are with what is in many positions a pretty limited team.  But when he gets it wrong like he did on Saturday he should face criticism the same as anyone else.  Although due to the goodwill and respect he's got, he'll face a lot less than the likes of Pardew and McClaren would have got (and deservedly so). 

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All of this said, swapping out Diame for Murphy and going two up top might have sorted us out in terms putting away a few more chances but we still conceded 3 goals, none of which were Diame's fault. Fulham attacked us exactly like we hoped they would, and it should have played into our hands. Individual errors seem to cost us more than anything (save the first goal which, from memory, was just a good strike).

Aye Lascelles, Anita and Dummett were all absolutely hopeless on Saturday and that had nothing to do with tactics.  I think it was more to do with two of them being shit and one being half asleep (again).

There second goal looked offside at the time, I've not seen any replays, can anyone confirm whether it should have been disallowed?

Thought we would struggle but didn't have us down as getting cuffed 3-0. :lol:

This league is mental, we were 5 points clear at the start of the week and now we are back level despite beating 2nd and 3rd.

Never felt worse about our home support.

People that haven't joined in a song all day who arrived late for both halves screaming at fans for leaving early.

Pouring bile on a 5 year old ball boy.

Raging at our own players for not committing to strong challenges on half way and then raging at them for committing to a challenge that doesn't come off and gives the opposition space to run at.

This when we've not lost in 11 games? Wankers.

Hate the pa blasting out songs and shouting "make some noise" too. We might if we could hear any fucker beyond the next seat you bellend.

Even as we do well, its still only the drink before and after that makes it worth going back.

I don't like to harp on about it because it makes me seem like the miserable old cunt I probably am but I've been less than impressed the rare occasion I've been there in recent years. Particularly this season though I can't get me head around why people think it's ok (or indeed anything other than counter-productive) to get on player's backs after one misplaced pass or whatever.

Never felt worse about our home support.

People that haven't joined in a song all day who arrived late for both halves screaming at fans for leaving early.

Pouring bile on a 5 year old ball boy.

Raging at our own players for not committing to strong challenges on half way and then raging at them for committing to a challenge that doesn't come off and gives the opposition space to run at.

This when we've not lost in 11 games? Wankers.

Hate the pa blasting out songs and shouting "make some noise" too. We might if we could hear any fucker beyond the next seat you bellend.

Even as we do well, its still only the drink before and after that makes it worth going back.

You must have been sat somewhere near me then..? the ballboy copping criticism for not being sure where to throw the ball when we were trying to get back in it, right?

If so then yes, there were a number of people around there just screaming abuse for a good portion of the match. Not sure if the players would have been bothered but I felt for that poor lad.

I thought that Gallowgate crowd were good but I don't go often enough to know for certain I suppose.

I don't like to harp on about it because it makes me seem like the miserable old cunt I probably am but I've been less than impressed the rare occasion I've been there in recent years. Particularly this season though I can't get me head around why people think it's ok (or indeed anything other than counter-productive) to get on player's backs after one misplaced pass or whatever.

Some fans genuinely have no idea about the game. I imagine this happens up and down the country though.

You must have been sat somewhere near me then..? the ballboy copping criticism for not being sure where to throw the ball when we were trying to get back in it, right?

If so then yes, there were a number of people around there just screaming abuse for a good portion of the match. Not sure if the players would have been bothered but I felt for that poor lad.

I thought that Gallowgate crowd were good but I don't go often enough to know for certain I suppose.

They should have ball boys that actually know what they're doing but to have a go at a little kid is disgusting.

When I used to go I always thought the ball boys were too young. Should be about 12 years old. Imagine getting abused by thousands of people for the unforgiveable crime of being confused under pressure at the age of 7 ffs.

Some fans genuinely have no idea about the game. I imagine this happens up and down the country though.

I don't think for a moment it's just at Newcastle but I was quite shocked at how quickly some people got on the team's back when I was at the Bristol City match (even at 0-0). You always get some right knackers going but given the league position and the match situation it seemed genuinely bizarre.

Home games are only going to get worse as the tension ratchets up. We have 5 home & 4 away games left I hope wor home form doesn't make us trip up.

Edited by trooper

Diame getting cheered when taken off might be the most cringeworthy thing I've seen our support en masse do for years. There's a definite feeling in that ground that we should be walking this league and ripping everyone to bits because we have Rafa and the cry-arsing begins as soon as things go south. People think we're so far above the rest of the league when the ability that the squad has shown throughout the season should tip them off that, outside of about 5 players and a top manager, we really aren't. 

The thing is everyone will fancy their chances against us at SJP now,

The 5 home games are...

Wigan

Burton Albion

Leeds

Preston

Barnsley

The 4 away games are ...

Birmingham

Sheff Wed

Ipswich

Cardiff

When I used to go I always thought the ball boys were too young. Should be about 12 years old. Imagine getting abused by thousands of people for the unforgiveable crime of being confused under pressure at the age of 7 ffs.

Aye I've thought this for years.  It's a lovely thing for a young kid to get to do when everything is going well but when the game is edgy the fans (understandably I suppose) get really impatient, and kids of that age shouldn't be put in that position.

I couldn't understand people booing at half time.  It used to be that booing was reserved for a real lack of effort on the part of a player but now it's common place whenever anything doesn't go right.  The east stand has always had a reputation for a lack of noise (unfairly a lot of the time) but it's all over the ground now.  I think the size of the ground actually works against us in that sense because it seems to be difficult to get the whole ground singing in time even when things are good.  

Still, at least they aren't in Scotland where a Celtic ball girl has been subject to death threats for calling a Rangers player a fucking prick.

But then again it's Scottish football.

The thing is everyone will fancy their chances against us at SJP now,

The 5 home games are...

Wigan

Burton Albion

Leeds

Preston

Barnsley

The 4 away games are ...

Birmingham

Sheff Wed

Ipswich

Cardiff

I think we'll get points at all of those away games, probably 3 wins out of the 4, plus a couple of wins at home. Should be plenty.