Newcastle United v Fulham 11/03/2017

The Fish

NUFC v FFC  

31 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just seen the highlights. Dummet showing why it's a fallacy that he would be a better CB than LB, Anita looking like he's never played RB in his life, Shelvey jogging around the centre circle pretending to chase after people. This isn't a knee jerk reaction but if we do get promoted we will do a Hull and come straight back down unless we sign half a new first xi

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They're a better footballing side than us. Outplayed us from start to finish. The lack of a press in the middle third was alarming and allowed the first goal, and Fulham to pick which passes to make with runners around our box.

Being 0-3 down and almost 1-4 down at home in the Championship was both a disgrace and terrifying for what's going to happen next year; I think we'll go up but the amount of new players we'll need and whether Benitez gets that backing off the fat cunt is another thing.

I said after the Bristol City game that it's going to be one minging slog until the end of the season but today was so unbelievably wank it's scaring me for both what we're going to have to do and whether Ashley will allow it to happen.

After getting through the 5 game in 15 days stage with a total of 11 points morale should have been high. Now to get beat 3-1 at home anytime of the season is bad enough. But at this critical phase when points & goals can make the difference to automatically going up or the play - offs. This could well turn out to really hurt us last week it looked like the job was almost done but as each game comes & goes it feels like the GD & points tally are getting narrower& narrower. What happened today ? Player complacency ? Rafa picked the wrong team ? A bit of both ? Whatever it was it needs stamping out now. Both Brighton & Huddersfield despite getting beaten by us last week have shown they're still very much up for the automatic places I just hope we are too.

Just seen the highlights. Dummet showing why it's a fallacy that he would be a better CB than LB, Anita looking like he's never played RB in his life, Shelvey jogging around the centre circle pretending to chase after people. This isn't a knee jerk reaction but if we do get promoted we will do a Hull and come straight back down unless we sign half a new first xi

That's not a knee jerk reaction. That is common knowledge by now.

From the reports I read, no one had a good game.

Apparently Diame was absolutely wank for 90 minutes.. (why didn't Rafa get him off and Perez on)

Anita was dismal and ran ragged by a 16 year old......... (Rafa should have started Gamez)

Lascells was woeful......................................................... (Hanly was on the bench)

Shelvey contributed little, less than Colback.

Ritchie, Atsu, & Dummet were mediocre.

Gayle was lightweight and starved of service.

Clark was decent til he went off.

Pretty well sums up what I was hearing on the match commentary.

NUFC To Score

0 - 

1 - Kevin Carr's Gloves, Dr Gloom, wykikitoon, OTF, barnabox, Dougle

2 - StoneColdStephenIreland, Rayvin, ewerk, Holden McGroin, tooner, strawb, Ant, rogerbarton, LooneyToony, Graing

3 - The Fish, Andrew, Howay, Happy Face, acrossthepond, Anorthernsoul, Kitman, TheGingerQuiff, ohhh_yeah, Tom

4+ - David Kelly, adios, MiddleAgeCool, scoobos

NUFC To Concede

0 - The Fish, Howay, Kevin Carr's Gloves, Rayvin, ewerk, Happy Face, wykikitoon, OTF, Kitman, scoobos, Dougle, Tom, Graing

1 - Andrew, David Kelly, StoneColdStephenIreland, adios, acrossthepond, Anorthernsoul, tooner, MiddleAgeCool, strawb, Ant, rogerbarton, barnabox, LooneyToony, ohhh_yeah

2 - Dr Gloom, Holden McGroin, TheGingerQuiff

3 - 

4+ - 

This team would struggle in the top flight. We'll need at least 4-5 new first team players for next season. We're going up though. They're good enough for that

We knew it could be a difficult game, and we knew we had to do well at the beginning and not make mistakes," Benitez said. "But we started making mistakes, and we paid for that.

"Fulham are a good team - they passed the ball well and they have pace. We were giving the ball away, and that was giving them the chance to play in the way that they like to play.

When you have tried and have made mistakes, you have to analyse why. It is not as though the players were not trying in terms of effort. Sometimes, it is just the wrong decision, and that is something we have to improve.

"In terms of effort, you could see we were running and working very hard. When we scored the goal, we were pushing and pushing, but we were making too many mistakes in terms of the decisions in the final third.

"When you are under pressure and you know you have conceded goals and you have to score and the time is against you, then that is when you have to have more experience and character and make the right decision, and we didn't do it."

You don't post for a few days after a win, but as soon as we lose you on here spouting doomsday nonsense. You are what's wrong with modern football.

Nee offence like.

I thought Reading would be the trap game after big wins at Brighton and Huddersfield, but looks like this was the trap game. Makes sense after three away. Still clutching the top, don't think it's time for the wake just yet. If you would have told me before the season we would be top of the league with 9 games to go I would have laughed, so I'll take it. Think we can bounce back. This is still the Rafa era - not Pards, Carver, or McClaren.

I thought Reading would be the trap game after big wins at Brighton and Huddersfield, but looks like this was the trap game. Makes sense after three away. Still clutching the top, don't think it's time for the wake just yet. If you would have told me before the season we would be top of the league with 9 games to go I would have laughed, so I'll take it. Think we can bounce back. This is still the Rafa era - not Pards, Carver, or McClaren.

No-one is above criticism and especially after home performances like that one yesterday which have been too frequent this season. Like I've been saying all season Rafa's refusal to adapt the way we play as and when it is needed will cost us points this season and it did yesterday. For someone who's been a relatively successful manager over the years I'm at a loss to understand how when he isn't flexible at all with his tactics.

His team selection throughout this season is questionable aswell, Anita just isn't good enough and to play him right back against their pace was simply ridiculous, he got found out all day. Then on the other side Paul Dummett is a poor player who has struggled making mistakes all season even at this level, yet he's played in nearly every game. Then we come to Colback, who for me is the worst player at the club. But Rafa plays him every game. We needed to stamp our authority on the game but Colback offers you fuck all in the midfield, there's not one redeeming attribute to his game. He's not a ball winner, he's slow as fuck, no good in the air. He's never going to get you goals and is always a risk of being sent off. He just sits back and lets the other team play while offering the team nothing. Opposing midfielders must rub their hands when they see the team sheet with his name on it. Then there's this ridiculous "Number 10" role that basically renders us with 10 men, when Diame and Perez have played that role this season they are so ineffective on the game which means the team just resorts to playing the ball over the top. How difficult is it to play two centre forwards? I think we'd be better suited as we can work the ball across the pitch and use the wings more as there's more threat in the box. We will have a lot more attacking options with two up top.

We were always going to lose another game at some point this season after that long unbeaten run. I suspected it would be at home to Fulham. They're a decent team and we don't have the best record against them. There was always the danger of complacency too after three quality results in the road. The teams below us are keeping the pressure on but I still fancy us to win the league.

No-one is above criticism and especially after home performances like that one yesterday which have been too frequent this season. Like I've been saying all season Rafa's refusal to adapt the way we play as and when it is needed will cost us points this season and it did yesterday. For someone who's been a relatively successful manager over the years I'm at a loss to understand how when he isn't flexible at all with his tactics.

His team selection throughout this season is questionable aswell, Anita just isn't good enough and to play him right back against their pace was simply ridiculous, he got found out all day. Then on the other side Paul Dummett is a poor player who has struggled making mistakes all season even at this level, yet he's played in nearly every game. Then we come to Colback, who for me is the worst player at the club. But Rafa plays him every game. We needed to stamp our authority on the game but Colback offers you fuck all in the midfield, there's not one redeeming attribute to his game. He's not a ball winner, he's slow as fuck, no good in the air. He's never going to get you goals and is always a risk of being sent off. He just sits back and lets the other team play while offering the team nothing. Opposing midfielders must rub their hands when they see the team sheet with his name on it. Then there's this ridiculous "Number 10" role that basically renders us with 10 men, when Diame and Perez have played that role this season they are so ineffective on the game which means the team just resorts to playing the ball over the top. How difficult is it to play two centre forwards? I think we'd be better suited as we can work the ball across the pitch and use the wings more as there's more threat in the box. We will have a lot more attacking options with two up top.

Hes not going to play two up top because we'll never do it next season, the 4231 is his shape, his structure and he'll stick to it.

We'll need to improve in a number of areas in the summer for sure, the number 10 hasn't worked out as we would've hoped this season, Diame has been occasionally good but not consistently enough and Perez has been incredibly disappointing, I thought a level down and playing in his supposed best position would see him blossom this season but he's shown very little.

Colback is another one everyone moans about, and theyre right to since hes crap but...who else? Hayden is injured meaning Shelvey and Colback are our two fit proper centre midfielders.

We'll need strengthening in the summer, we all know that, what we don't know is what actually went on in January but we're good enough to go up automatically with this squad meaning any new blood will be coming with the offer of PL football, not 6 months in the championship and possibly promotion.

Comparatively I didn't think colback was that bad yesterday. Shelvey, Atsu, Anita and Lascelles were particularly bad but no one was good. And if Rafa gets the plaudits for last week, he has to get the criticism for this. We stood off and gave them (particularly the number 10 who was excellent) and persisted with long balls. I can only assume we thought their back four was slow and Gayle could exploit them over the top. I'd not have had much problem with this if it was only shelvey looking to play these balls but Lascelles and Clark shouldn't be. Rather than being passes in behind, they were just humped balls up that Gayle had no chance with. I can't for the life of me understand why he stuck with this tactic.

Not saying Rafa is beyond criticism, but he does have us top of the table with 9 to go. Not as if we expected this to be an easy stroll at the start of the season with our squad, so he's dong something right to have us at the top. I haven't been able to see matches over here - just highlights and reading the reports. Perez has 6 goals and 5 assists with only 18 starts, if anything I thought Rafa had been as guilty of under utilizing him as McClaren. Has he really been that bad? He's looked good from what I've seen, which is admittedly limited. Not going to argue about Colback.

Not saying there's no room for criticism, but to have us at the top with 9 matches left, I have confidence he'll know how to adjust. We were never going to run the table without another loss or two.

Not saying Rafa is beyond criticism, but he does have us top of the table with 9 to go. Not as if we expected this to be an easy stroll at the start of the season with our squad, so he's dong something right to have us at the top. I haven't been able to see matches over here - just highlights and reading the reports. Perez has 6 goals and 5 assists with only 18 starts, if anything I thought Rafa had been as guilty of under utilizing him as McClaren. Has he really been that bad? He's looked good from what I've seen, which is admittedly limited. Not going to argue about Colback.

Not saying there's no room for criticism, but to have us at the top with 9 matches left, I have confidence he'll know how to adjust. We were never going to run the table without another loss or two.

I'm not taking away the fact of the overall job he has done this season, I just think his lack of adaptability is worrying.