Birmingham City vs The Championship Table Toppers!!!

Birmingham vs Toooon!  

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Look at the teams we got relegated with for a measure of how well we've done. Rafa's 25 minute interview on NUFC TV the other day was really interesting & highlighted a few things we've had to deal with.

I can't find this one there for some reason.  Would you mind linking to it?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think there are many who understand why I piss and moan so much all the time and it's quite simple really.

I want and expect to see us  playing good flowing, attacking football and it's not happening.   Rafa is not producing what I want to see and I'm wondering why not.

The squad we have on the books are quite capable of playing decent football, I know because I have seen flashes of it produced by them, but the flashes are few and far between.

Despite how many games we have played and won this season, in how many can you say we played good football. Even when we won it was hardly ever by good football.

When we beat Brighton and Huddersfield, they were the ones who played good football, not us.

I want to enjoy watching and listening to our games,   not cringing at what I see or hear, and for that matter read.

Benitez has never been a manager renowned for flowing football. He builds efficient teams and theres no way we're gonna have flowing football with Dummett, Colback, Diame and Gouffran starting so Im not really sure why youd be expecting Barcelonaesque football after the past few years weve had and with the manager we have.

He's defo a pragmatist, but his Liverpool side played decent attacking football.  He'll always think about defending first though.

Well Rafa's policy of starting with a point could do with a tweek for the next couple of games to possibly open up a 10 point lead over Huddersfield.

NUFC v Wigan

Brighton v Blackburn

Huddersfield v Burton

NUFC v Burton

Brighton v Birmingham

Huddersfield v Norwich.

You posting this is as incongruous as someone commenting on a Vietnamese division 2 game out of the blue.

Ellis Short's wife was falling asleep at the game yesterday man.

Benitez has never been a manager renowned for flowing football. He builds efficient teams and theres no way we're gonna have flowing football with Dummett, Colback, Diame and Gouffran starting so Im not really sure why youd be expecting Barcelonaesque football after the past few years weve had and with the manager we have.

As has been mentioned we're playing with a lot of fuckin duds yet we're still top of the league. It's been a good season both in spite of them and because of them. If people want scintillating football then they'll spend a lot of time looking for it in England's top two divisions. Ok there are some good teams but who would you actually pay to watch thinking that you'll see attacking, front foot football? Chelsea? Spurs? that's about it iyam, and that's at a push with them even from time to time, especially Spurs. The rest play with varying degrees of pragmatism, apart from Arsenal, who seem to be in it for shits a giggles nowadays.

He's defo a pragmatist, but his Liverpool side played decent attacking football.  He'll always think about defending first though.

We beat Benitez's Liverpool 1-0 at SJP around this time of year 2005, Laurent Robert goal, and I thought they were fuckin hopeless.I was doing some work round a mates house where both he and his neighbour we're passionate plastic red men. " Saw them a couple of weeks ago lads, that's the worst Liverpool team I've ever fuckin seen" was my confident statement of where the Benitez regime stood in the pantheon of Liverpool sides past and present. Two months later they won the European Cup :D

Not sure if that's the final team? Vladimir Smicer scored, Biscan definetly played in the final at some point too. Harry Kewell bottled it at two nil and faked an injury, he may have come on then. Dietmar Hamman came on at half time when they were 3 nil down for someone or other too. They still won :lol:

Football Ramble did a special recently, an interview with Carragher that goes into a fair bit of detail about that final and Benitez.

Worth a listen.

Gerrard said he was the best tactician he played under but that won't stop our lot going on like absolute fannies.

Aye Bellamy says the same in his book. But 25k "wongaloids" (as someone on here called them :lol:) can't be wrong...

Aye Bellamy says the same in his book. But 25k "wongaloids" (as someone on here called them [emoji38]) can't be wrong...

I don't doubt his credentials one bit but I tend to agree with Noelie regarding style. As I said the other day I'm happy for the short/medium term to accept functionality but I think he'll come in for more pressure than at other places to address it long term.

I don't doubt his credentials one bit but I tend to agree with Noelie regarding style. As I said the other day I'm happy for the short/medium term to accept functionality but I think he'll come in for more pressure than at other places to address it long term.

Tbh as long as he and Ashley run the club I don't think that sort of criticism is warranted. Look at what happened in January. Theres a bigger picture than playing two in front of the back four at home (one of them bring Colback) and grinding our way to promotion. Too many fail to see it consistently, or sometimes even acknowledge it. That's you Noelie :D

Edited by PaddockLad

I think Ashley shithoused us on Townsend. And from all accounts Penfold didn't have the balls to tell Rafa what was(nt) happening on deadline day. That's why when Rafa was asked what happened in the next press conference he said "don't know". The signs aren't good tbh, but fuck it. We've got a spring run in v some good clubs might as well enjoy it while it lasts. In a strange way I'd like to win the league but stay in this division....

Noelie, I think you've been spoiled by Keegan and Robson eras and that you've got to be realistic. We're in the 2nd tier of English football for a reason, most of our team isn't very good. We've a few players who can, on their day, produce quality, but they can't do it consistently and they can't do it in the Premier League. If they could, that's where they'd be doing it and not for us. The best players in our team are average Premier League players, at best, and even then they're not necessarily going to be able to produce that form when they're playing 2 games a week against sides who're set up with 10 men behind the ball for 90 minutes.

We'd all love to be watching exciting, expansive football, played by inventive, committed, likeable professionals, but that's just not the real world.

Benitez won't often have us playing dazzling football, but he's the best hope we've had of a trophy since Sir Bobby Robson. We will grind out wins and we'll sometimes fail to get past stoic opposition, but we won't be relegated. We'll hopefully climb the league (if he's supported in the transfer window), and he'll aim to build a legacy. I'd have all of that over playing pretty football and failing to get promoted.