Birmingham City vs The Championship Table Toppers!!!

Birmingham vs Toooon!  

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

No matter how good a manager is, he's not going to be able to get shit footballers playing like world beaters.  A good manager can do exactly what Rafa has been doing and set us up to win games.  If he's allowed to buy better players he will be able to get them to play better stuff.  He's never going to set us up like Keegan but with players with more ability I'm fully confident we'll be much better to watch while still being difficult to beat.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No matter how good a manager is, he's not going to be able to get shit footballers playing like world beaters.  A good manager can do exactly what Rafa has been doing and set us up to win games.  If he's allowed to buy better players he will be able to get them to play better stuff.  He's never going to set us up like Keegan but with players with more ability I'm fully confident we'll be much better to watch while still being difficult to beat.

Exactly. A better version of Diame/Perez and the style we play will reap greater results. Better versions of Gouffran and Dummett would give balance on the flanks so that both sides produce instead of just the right. If both of those areas are improved we'll see more pockets of space open up for a better version of Gayle to take advantage of.

Hughton took us up with minimum fuss because he had a Premier League team in the 2nd tier, Benitez is taking us up because he's built a top class Championship side and will build a Premier League side if given the chance.

£30m from past player sales, £30m from future sales (de Jong, Saivet, Riviere, Thauvin, Hanley, Murphy, Sels, Krul*) + £30m commitment... is that out of the realms of possibility?

*not sure about who we actually still own :lol:

If Ashley spends £90m in the summer my head will literally explode.

Aye, maybe not in the summer, but across the season?

:lol: I swear most of our fanbase are deep down secret PFMs.

"But ah want mur attakin! Gan 2 up frunt man!"

We've been top of the league for two thirds of the season for quite a good reason.

Exactly. A better version of Diame/Perez and the style we play will reap greater results. Better versions of Gouffran and Dummett would give balance on the flanks so that both sides produce instead of just the right. If both of those areas are improved we'll see more pockets of space open up for a better version of Gayle to take advantage of.

Hughton took us up with minimum fuss because he had a Premier League team in the 2nd tier, Benitez is taking us up because he's built a top class Championship side and will build a Premier League side if given the chance.

£30m from past player sales, £30m from future sales (de Jong, Saivet, Riviere, Thauvin, Hanley, Murphy, Sels, Krul*) + £30m commitment... is that out of the realms of possibility?

*not sure about who we actually still own :lol:

Ashley will have to put 20-25m in as a bare minimum imo.

CB, striker and a No.10. As you say plus player sales.

There has to be enough there to survive and for there to be some feel good about the place.

If we'll have to pay £12m for Tom Cairney from Fulham, any serious commitment to achieving safety rather than survival will cost a lot of money. I think this team plus 4-5 players should​ be enough to survive, but a real statement of intent will cost.

Like you say, we will likely need a CB, a striker and a pivotal number 10. Three of the traditionally more expensive positions.

I still think Mbemba, Mitrovic, Perez have sufficient potential to be in the squad, and players like Lascelles and Dummett, will be committed if limited squad members.

3 players (CB, #10, CF) at c£15-20m for a total of £45

3 squad players at c£5m for a total of £15m

Couple of loan players (Loftus-Cheek/Abraham/Rashford and the like)

Then another couple of signings should we need them in January?

Safety job done imo

I agree with most of that but I'd not want Loftus-Cheek as he's completely unproven, I'd also not fancy doing them a favour by giving him PL games after they refused to do the loan at a time it was more beneficial for us. Abraham is on the Victor Moses 5 year plan and will go somewhere he will get starts, and Rashford is on the Jose Mourinho "I've no idea what to do with younger players" plan. 

I think if we are to loan players in the PL it would be better to get experienced players who aren't getting games at top sides rather than youth. Other than that I agree we'll need to spunk a fair whack of money, hopefully the 30m is being held for that rather than just Ashley being a tight bastard...

I still have hope for Lascelles to make it.  We saw at the end of last season that he has the ability to cut it in the premier league.  But this season we've seen how he can be prone to lapses in concentration (which happens a lot with young defenders).  I think that's something the might be coached out of him.  If it can be, I think he can be a good player.

I still have hope for Lascelles to make it.  We saw at the end of last season that he has the ability to cut it in the premier league.  But this season we've seen how he can be prone to lapses in concentration (which happens a lot with young defenders).  I think that's something the might be coached out of him.  If it can be, I think he can be a good player.

Yeah, I think he gets really panicked and makes rash decisions. It's something that he can hopefully grow out of as he experiences more situations in games. I was hoping he'd make a bit more progress than he did this season mind but he has had a handful of very capable games which gives hope.

He needs a solid, experienced centre half next to him to help with his development. We've needed one for years to be fair.

If we'll have to pay £12m for Tom Cairney from Fulham, any serious commitment to achieving safety rather than survival will cost a lot of money. I think this team plus 4-5 players should​ be enough to survive, but a real statement of intent will cost.

Like you say, we will likely need a CB, a striker and a pivotal number 10. Three of the traditionally more expensive positions.

I still think Mbemba, Mitrovic, Perez have sufficient potential to be in the squad, and players like Lascelles and Dummett, will be committed if limited squad members.

3 players (CB, #10, CF) at c£15-20m for a total of £45

3 squad players at c£5m for a total of £15m

Safety job done imo

At a bare minimum CB, LB, CM, #10, CF.  Squad should just about be sufficient after that.  Mind you, that still leaves Jack Fucking Colback as 4th choice.

:lol: I swear most of our fanbase are deep down secret PFMs.

"But ah want mur attakin! Gan 2 up frunt man!"

We've been top of the league for two thirds of the season for quite a good reason.

Nothing new here. Keegan played to it - everyone else has suffered. I'm still sore about what happened to Bobby.

People fuckin hated David Batty in my section of the ground back in the day , purely because he was a defensive midfielder and passed sideways , backwards all the time.

If you can't hold and protect the ball in midfield, then you're playing score more than they do.

Edited by scoobos

Nothing new here. Keegan played to it - everyone else has suffered. I'm still sore about what happened to Bobby.

People fuckin hated David Batty in my section of the ground back in the day , purely because he was a defensive midfielder and passed sideways , backwards all the time.

If you can't hold and protect the ball in midfield, then you're playing score more than they do.

We've been scoring more than the other teams for quite a lot of the season, hence our league position.

I still think Mbemba, Mitrovic, Perez have sufficient potential to be in the squad, and players like Lascelles and Dummett, will be committed if limited squad members.

3 players (CB, #10, CF) at c£15-20m for a total of £45

3 squad players at c£5m for a total of £15m

Safety job done imo

I agree, I think this is quite realistic.

At a bare minimum CB, LB, CM, #10, CF.  Squad should just about be sufficient after that.  Mind you, that still leaves Jack Fucking Colback as 4th choice.

I'm praying to the Old Gods and the New that someone like Hull or Sheffield Wednesday fancy taking the Ginger Pirlo off our hands for actual real money. He's probably a good professional, a likeable lad in the dressing room, but he's got zero football brain and is basically a short ginger Mike WIlliamson that plays in midfield.

Haven't given up on Lazaar yet, I'm hoping he's just settling and Dummett's consistency and fitness is keeping wor Lazaar out the team?

We're 40+ games into the season. If he hasn't broken into the first team ahead of Dummett by now I can't see it happening.

You're probably right, but a man can dream.