Shearer or Beardsley?

Dr Gloom

Who was the greatest?  

29 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you don't think Shearer could win a game by himself you've got a short memory, and his finishing was better than Ronaldo's. The latter had lightening pace that he used to get himself into a position for an easier finish, Shearer could just ping them in from anywhere. I'd put mid 90s Shearer up there with anybody. You sound like you're ranking him in the Van nistelrooy category of just being a goalscorer and nothing else which is imo daft

the mad thing about shearer's finishing was he always put his laces through the ball and yet his accuracy was like he was placing it with the side of his foot. he rarely missed the target

One thing I've really only appreciated after he retired is just how well he shifted his weight and changed position to better strike the ball.

I can defo see where the Shearer nay-sayers are coming from.  I guess it comes down to what qualifies as world-class.

Top 1%? 3% 5%?

Shearer probably in the 3% bracket, but not 1%.

I feel his status in the game is somewhat damaged by not playing for a top side, even by Newcastle fans.

Aye world class is a really subjective term. I've always took it to mean a player that could get into the starting 11 of the majority of the top sides, I think Shearer in his prime would have filled that category but I understand some people have a stricter meaning for world class. Some people seem to think anyone that is a top player is instantly world class, I saw a bunch of people having a pop at Ryan Giggs recently as he said the PL only has 2-3 world class players, he's right imo but clearly some people also have a much looser definition.

As for comparing players from different eras like Pele, Maradona, Zidane, Messi etc it's something that I've never personally saw the point in. The game is very different in each era, the training conditions, nutrition, etc, all that makes it impossible to make fair comparisons. I have a mate that's one of them that constantly compares Messi and Ronaldo, he favours Ronaldo and it's to such a point that the way he talks about Messi you'd think Messi was average. I know this bit isn't that relevant to this discussion but I've always just thought it's best to enjoy players like that as they only come along rarely. I suppose that could apply to Beardsley and Shearer, some here were fortunate enough to see both whereas some of us only saw the tail end (or nothing at all) of Beardsley but at least we got to see players like that. Poor Haydnator caught only the tail end (if any) of Shearer, in fact the poor lad was probably only about for Sholas twilight years, I suppose he has got to witness Jack Colback in his prime mind.