Rafa will he stay ? or will he go ?

trooper

I'd still be interested in seeing a fully fit SDJ.  I always really liked him at Ajax and remember him destroying Citeh in the champions league.  He did look painfully slow while he was here though so I'd always be concerned that he'd never make it.  But I'd think Rafa could get more out of him than Pardew and McClaren managed.  He certainly plays the position that we've struggled with this season.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, he's a very capable passer of the ball and he'd fill that missing number 10 spot well with his passing. As you say he's slow, it would have been great in this league when we've been camped outside a lot of oppositions boxes and just needed that killer ball, the PL may be different and we may need a more mobile player there although there is a lot of shite at the bottom of the league and he could prove to be a very handy rotation player for Rafa (if of course he can remain fit which is a big question mark, he can't have played in more than 10 games for Ajax which isn't promising at all).

Edited by Howay

I'd still be interested in seeing a fully fit SDJ.  I always really liked him at Ajax and remember him destroying Citeh in the champions league.  He did look painfully slow while he was here though so I'd always be concerned that he'd never make it.  But I'd think Rafa could get more out of him than Pardew and McClaren managed.  He certainly plays the position that we've struggled with this season.

Can't imagine he'll ever be up to the pace in the Premier League.

I'd still be interested in seeing a fully fit SDJ. I always really liked him at Ajax and remember him destroying Citeh in the champions league. He did look painfully slow while he was here though so I'd always be concerned that he'd never make it. But I'd think Rafa could get more out of him than Pardew and McClaren managed. He certainly plays the position that we've struggled with this season.

Probably better suited to playing the number 10 role in Rafa's favoured position than anyone else currently on the books on his reputation alone. Shame that player never turned up here and instead we had the biggest sick note since marcelinho. Fucking collapsed lung at one point wasn't it? Only at nufc

The cuntitivity patterns of this regime do not bode well for any manager, whatever the reputation /respect levels in world football. Expecting a similar pattern to this seasons windows, backing in the summer on a pacify masses level , followed by a failure to improve in the jan window, and Rafa will fuck off out of it

I think he'll be away, and nothing will change his mind.

Saying that, putting myself in his shoes - if I was building a new team, with 100% backing and a guarantee of full control, then January happened , I'd be off at the end of the season, only to protect my own reputation .

There's a big difference between having a pledge of building a team, doing what he did in the summer break, with a view of building in January ready for the premiership, than what he has - go up and buy people after promotion, with no time to gel in the team and less bargaining power.

Maybe I'm being too generous but I get the impression he considers his spell last season a failure and wants to put it right.

What he does after that remains to be seen.

The thought of this opportunity for the club being completely wasted puts me off the idea of going back until they've all fucked off and surely, SURELY there are thousands more thinking the same.

We cannot let them get away with this if it happens.

I think he stays. As long as Ashley doesn't walk back any commitment he made to him on spending when he brought him in. I thank Rafa will want to make his mark with a freshly promoted NUFC. But if Ashley hides the wallet come the summer window, all bets are off.

Would also like to see a healthy SJD, but I think his window has passed. Heard he had a great goal over the weekend though - and his lung didn't collapse.

Edited by Graing

He'd have went in January if that was the case. Why would he wait until the Summer (and potentially fail in his task) to just walk away?

Because he'll get hounded / overseas rep as a manager who couldn't save a good premiership team and then left as the "going got tough" in the championship.

I don't agree, but most outsiders or pundits expected Newcastle to walk this league .

Far better for Rafa to take the money (he's not getting a new job in January) - prove his point by bringing up his team and then fucking right off with a championship winners credit on his tally and a clear mind.

Edit - what rob said..

Edited by scoobos

Getting frustrated with the perception that Newcastle should have walked the league and despite being top and on course for a >94pt season we're somehow not doing as well.

Bought a new team, (1 keeper, 2 fullbacks, 2 centre backs, 4 midfielders, 2 strikers) specifically because the one we had wouldn't have got promoted. Imagine what Benitez could have achieved with Coloccini, Enrique, Jonas, Nolan, Carroll et al.

We're 2pts off where we were last time at this stage of the season and that team was much better than this one.

Getting frustrated with the perception that Newcastle should have walked the league and despite being top and on course for a >94pt season we're somehow not doing as well.

Bought a new team, (1 keeper, 2 fullbacks, 2 centre backs, 4 midfielders, 2 strikers) specifically because the one we had wouldn't have got promoted. Imagine what Benitez could have achieved with Coloccini, Enrique, Jonas, Nolan, Carroll et al.

We're 2pts off where we were last time at this stage of the season and that team was much better than this one.

Don't let it get to you.

Well, thats the media and outside fans for you.

I find big wanks help take the edge off.

With Fish on the relative quality of the squad now to 09/10. We went down with a squad that had been in Europe for about 6 years in a row til the season before we got relegated.

As for Rafa, as most everyone has said, it depends on how much backing he gets this summer. I do feel he owes the club and the fans something, and even if he were royally f*cked off in January, would be the kind of guy that would stick it out and get us promoted before walking. Ideal scenario is we go up with Rafa and suddenly look a much more attractive asset for potential new owners.

Nailed it

Without him we'd be where Aston Villa are right now. And if he goes when we're promoted, you'll see just how quickly we turn back into last season's Newcastle once Garry Monk or Mike Phelan or Alex Neil is in charge. 

Our first XI is still relatively uninspiring. McClaren would have this lot around 11th or 12th. The reason we're top is because of Rafa, make no mistake. As for "functional football", how many times have we yearned for a team that could play a solid, drilled defensive game while still in the PL? Now it's arguably even more important, we've got a coach who can actually do it, and the spacka portion of our fanbase is moaning about grinding out wins. Wagner and his delightful passing/pressing side got cut down by fucking Bristol City. Rafa knows exactly what he's about, long may it continue.