Rafa will he stay ? or will he go ?

trooper

I think you have misinterpreted what I was getting at.   We are a team of two games.  One we turn up and play and sometimes get outplayed and only manage a draw; other games we don't even turn up with our midfield failing to make passes for what seems like the whole of the 90 minutes.   I'm confident that we'll be going up but we have huge holes in our performance which has nothing to do with the teams we're playing and more around individual performance. 

I absolutely understand being frustrated with Dummett going forward, with Perez's inconsistency and Jack Colback's existence, but I cannot understand the negativity. The criticisms haven't been X was shit, it's "we're shit", when we're clearly not.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that if Huddersfield were further adrift (although 8 points + ridiculous GD is pretty adrift imo) there'd be less people worrying, but that's because the worriers are daft. Aside from beating the title challengers when we meet them, there's nothing Newcastle United can do to affect the results of other sides.

I've briefly looked back at this period of the Championship season and Huddersfield's PpG would have them in the Auto spots 8 season out of 10. Only once in that 10 season period has the average PpG for the top three bettered this season's. That was 2014 when Leicester were already on 82pts, Burnley were on 79 and 3rd was way back on 69 (wahey).

The point you make about points needed etc actually explains why people are concerned.  If only once in ten seasons has the PPG bettered this season then it shows how tight it is this season.  And this season the 4th placed team has the same as the 3rd in then and Reading only have 2 points less.  It's perfectly understandable for people to be concerned when it's so tight.  A couple of bad results could easily see us desperately hanging on to 2nd place. 

Personally I'm confident we'll get the job done and I do agree that some people are going overboard but it's easy to see why there is a concern.

The point you make about points needed etc actually explains why people are concerned.  If only once in ten seasons has the PPG bettered this season then it shows how tight it is this season.  And this season the 4th placed team has the same as the 3rd in then and Reading only have 2 points less.  It's perfectly understandable for people to be concerned when it's so tight.  A couple of bad results could easily see us desperately hanging on to 2nd place. 

Personally I'm confident we'll get the job done and I do agree that some people are going overboard but it's easy to see why there is a concern.

But if we're not playing brilliantly and we're still​ top why the concern? People say "what if we drop points", well sure, but Brighton and Huddersfield are as (if not more) likely to drop points than we are. And given our wobble coincided with an absence of key players, wouldn't it be more reasonable to expect their return to be reflected in better performances and better results?

People need to stop worrying about the worst possibility and concentrate on enjoying the fact we're winning games, and we're top of the league. Unless we're relegated again next year I can't imagine we're going to have many seasons with as many happy Saturdays as this.

But if we're not playing brilliantly and we're still​ top why the concern? People say "what if we drop points", well sure, but Brighton and Huddersfield are as (if not more) likely to drop points than we are. And given our wobble coincided with an absence of key players, wouldn't it be more reasonable to expect their return to be reflected in better performances and better results?

People need to stop worrying about the worst possibility and concentrate on enjoying the fact we're winning games, and we're top of the league. Unless we're relegated again next year I can't imagine we're going to have many seasons with as many happy Saturdays as this.

The concern is that we haven't really shaken off anyone down to Reading in 5th.  I agree people should be happy that we're top of the league and there is a daft amount bed wetting but when it's tight people are going to be worried.  This is Newcastle United we're talking about, an implosion is never very far away and that makes people a lot more nervous than they should be.

The concern is that we haven't really shaken off anyone down to Reading in 5th.  I agree people should be happy that we're top of the league and there is a daft amount bed wetting but when it's tight people are going to be worried.  This is Newcastle United we're talking about, an implosion is never very far away and that makes people a lot more nervous than they should be.

Not much we can do about their results though.

Maybe it's because I look at our rivals' boards and see how much they're panicking :dunno:

Not much we can do about their results though.

Maybe it's because I look at our rivals' boards and see how much they're panicking :dunno:

Well of course there's nothing we can do about their results.  But as long as it's tight no one is going to plan a parade are they?

Well of course there's nothing we can do about their results.  But as long as it's tight no one is going to plan a parade are they?

I might have had some ideas...

giphy.gif

Hopefully the lead but tightness at the top leads to confidence, but not overconfidence.

I absolutely understand being frustrated with Dummett going forward, with Perez's inconsistency and Jack Colback's existence, but I cannot understand the negativity. The criticisms haven't been X was shit, it's "we're shit", when we're clearly not.

You can be positive and negative about things though, it's not as clear cut as you're putting out.

Here's what I'm positive about:

Getting back up at the first ask

Rafa

Rafa getting the training ground up to snuff so we can help develop some young lads through

The amount of goals in the side

The initial outlay in the summer

Here's what I'm negative about:

Question marks over quality of current crop when we go up

The clusterfuck of January possibly dragging into the summer

Siem de Jong coming back and putting more strain on the NHS

Think you can add that all up together and find my position pretty strongly. You've got to be looking forward, as well as enjoying the winning form we have had this season. Any kind of demotion/promotion is a period of massive transition and it's absolutely just to be concerned about how we're going to handle it, especially now we're coming into the last 8 games

You can be positive and negative about things though, it's not as clear cut as you're putting out.

Here's what I'm positive about:

Getting back up at the first ask

Rafa

Rafa getting the training ground up to snuff so we can help develop some young lads through

The amount of goals in the side

The initial outlay in the summer

Here's what I'm negative about:

Question marks over quality of current crop when we go up

The clusterfuck of January possibly dragging into the summer

Siem de Jong coming back and putting more strain on the NHS

Think you can add that all up together and find my position pretty strongly. You've got to be looking forward, as well as enjoying the winning form we have had this season. Any kind of demotion/promotion is a period of massive transition and it's absolutely just to be concerned about how we're going to handle it, especially now we're coming into the last 8 games

I know you can, but you've not been bemoaning the style of football, stressing about what the chasing pack are doing, worrying what might happen if the wheels come off.

Regarding the quality of football, no it's the greatest spectacle on the planet but it's what you get with our manager. Rafa is all about control. Controlling games with possession or by limiting chances and breaking dangerously each time (a la Huddersfield away). He would've loved the Brentford home game, absolute control of the game for 90 minutes, and running out 3-1 winners - their goal was a second ball from a set piece. It was a game I barely remember aside from the goals, which is what he is about. It's why there was a lack of changes until late away at Blackburn, we had complete control of the game.

We need to get used to it and pack in the "Ergh but ah want moar attakin! Ah want two up frunt! Gan radge!". This way of playing has us top. Plus I'm sure that it works, especially in the Premier League. We've seen it for ourselves, when his Liverpool sides came here and absolutely dicked us on several occasions.

Regarding the quality of football, no it's the greatest spectacle on the planet but it's what you get with our manager. Rafa is all about control. Controlling games with possession or by limiting chances and breaking dangerously each time (a la Huddersfield away). He would've loved the Brentford home game, absolute control of the game for 90 minutes, and running out 3-1 winners - their goal was a second ball from a set piece. It was a game I barely remember aside from the goals, which is what he is about. It's why there was a lack of changes until late away at Blackburn, we had complete control of the game.

We need to get used to it and pack in the "Ergh but ah want moar attakin! Ah want two up frunt! Gan radge!". This way of playing has us top. Plus I'm sure that it works, especially in the Premier League. We've seen it for ourselves, when his Liverpool sides came here and absolutely dicked us on several occasions.

How come anyone panicking or talking shite etc always seems to have a Geordie accent but anyone else is Oxford English dictionary standard?

:lol:

According to Transfermarkt Rafa's agent is Manuel Garcia Quilon, wonder if he's from the Wirral...

Edit: An ESPN story backs up him being Benitez's agent as well: http://www.espnfc.us/real-madrid/story/2461433/rafael-benitez-would-be-happy-to-manage-real-madrid-agent about 2 year old but I doubt Benitez would change agent that much.

:lol: tbf a few posts into that thread the mackems have cottoned on that his agent is that Quilon. Why would you even bother posting something like that ffs. Also I thought they were all over the moon we had him because he's shite and he took us down, why are they all hoping he leaves?

Fish is all over that thread btw, I don't know why you bother Dave they're fucking bonkers.

This is a cracker:

"I heard similar from a media pal weeks ago (I posted it on here but i think it wasn't on a dedicated thread) had it confirmed again by a poster who has already commented so it could have legs, tbh I'm not arsed either way but I suppose any unrest up the road is welcome."

So he heard Rafa's leaving and when another poster on the forum 'confirmed it' so that means it could have legs :lol: .

I overheard a bloke in a suit say Sunderland are bankrupt and if they go down they'll be put into administration, anyone fancy confirming this to give this one legs?

Edited by Howay

How come anyone panicking or talking shite etc always seems to have a Geordie accent but anyone else is Oxford English dictionary standard?

Best way to show it's the thoughts of your everyday stereotypical match going fan.

Is that not the wrong howay is your avatar?

:lol:

According to Transfermarkt Rafa's agent is Manuel Garcia Quilon, wonder if he's from the Wirral...

Edit: An ESPN story backs up him being Benitez's agent as well: http://www.espnfc.us/real-madrid/story/2461433/rafael-benitez-would-be-happy-to-manage-real-madrid-agent about 2 year old but I doubt Benitez would change agent that much.

:lol: tbf a few posts into that thread the mackems have cottoned on that his agent is that Quilon. Why would you even bother posting something like that ffs. Also I thought they were all over the moon we had him because he's shite and he took us down, why are they all hoping he leaves?

Fish is all over that thread btw, I don't know why you bother Dave they're fucking bonkers.

This is a cracker:

"I heard similar from a media pal weeks ago (I posted it on here but i think it wasn't on a dedicated thread) had it confirmed again by a poster who has already commented so it could have legs, tbh I'm not arsed either way but I suppose any unrest up the road is welcome."

So he heard Rafa's leaving and when another poster on the forum 'confirmed it' so that means it could have legs :lol: .

overheard a bloke in a suit say Sunderland are bankrupt and if they go down they'll be put into administration, anyone fancy confirming this to give this one legs?

Incoming shitstorm on Wearside?

Confirmed. :good:

Thought ha'way was the mackem variant. It's outside their ground while howay is in the tunnel at our ground.

No, ha'way is what the mackems put on their seats a couple of years after nufc put howay in the tunnel. Before both of these events numerous ha'way the lads was on nufc gear both official and unofficial plus banners etc. Football existed before 1992. The avatar is from a book I was bought as a stocking filler in 1989. I also had a ha'way the lads bucket hat also worn by Gazza when he went in the crowd for one of our games as a Spurs player. I'd link some pics but I'm on my phone.

They were a lot more interchangeable back when that pic in HMHM's avatar was printed iirc. I think people have picked sides since the clubs put different spellings up but they are interchangeable as HMHM say I think.

They were a lot more interchangeable back when that pic in HMHM's avatar was printed iirc. I think people have picked sides since the clubs put different spellings up but they are interchangeable as HMHM say I think.

Aye, basically, the mackems couldn't dare have the 'nufc' version in their ground. I've absolutely no doubt whatsoever that whichever employee of NUFC who ok'd the sign had've put ha'way, then you'd be seeing howay on the Sol's seats.