Credit Score

The Fish

Moved into our new place in August, still renting. The previous tenant appears to have a fuck load of people chasing him for money; car parking, car finance, utility bills etc. All of that must surely be impacting on this address?

The question I'm asking is should I hold off changing my address for banks and the like because we'll likely be moving out again in August.

Your credit worthiness is based on you, not your address. It won't make a difference.

It's a well known fact that people with poor credit history sometimes look to move into accommodation previously owned by people with good credit history to build up their credit history in the positive. It's one the first selling points of all good estate agents. :good:

It's a well known fact that people with poor credit history sometimes look to move into accommodation previously owned by people with good credit history to build up their credit history in the positive. It's one the first selling points of all good estate agents. :good:

It wouldn't be like estate agents to talk shite.

It wouldn't be like estate agents to talk shite.

:lol:

I'm not sure if I'm missing some kind of 'in' joke here by the fish. How the fuck could your credit score be affected by moving into a property where the previous tenant had a bad credit history? Does that therefore follow that the reverse could take place?

I'm not sure if I'm missing some kind of 'in' joke here by the fish. How the fuck could your credit score be affected by moving into a property where the previous tenant had a bad credit history? Does that therefore follow that the reverse could take place?

:lol: Wouldn't it also fuck the credit of the actual owner of the property too if that were the case?

As far as I'm aware credit score is based on things like amount of credit available to you, % of those credit lines you're currently using, on-time payments, length of credit history, etc, as ewerk and quiff said it doesn't attach to any property, unless we're all being razzed by the Fish here.

You will probably get a fair bit of his mail which can be a pain in the neck. The previous tenant of our apartment is in jail now and we got a ton of his mail, usually letters from lawyer firms and court date letters, eventually we started leaving them in the postbox by the door and the postman wrote a note saying "does this person live here anymore? circle: Yes No" :lol:

Edited by Howay

:lol: Wouldn't it also fuck the credit of the actual owner of the property too if that were the case?

As far as I'm aware credit score is based on things like amount of credit available to you, % of those credit lines you're currently using, on-time payments, length of credit history, etc, as ewerk and quiff said it doesn't attach to any property, unless we're all being razzed by the Fish here.

He has to be on the wind up. :lol:

Next time I fancy splashing out on a Rolls Royce I'll make sure to rent in Knightsbridge for a few months. The high rent will pay for itself once the address credit ratings kick in. I'll buy, sell then move out. Bosh! Job's a good'un!

Bloke: "So, any other benefits to living here?"

Landlord: "Valentino lived here, then later on, Rod Stewart and George Best."

Bloke: "Fucking jackpot! I'll be beating off the fanny with a shitty stick!"

The people who lived here at least one, maybe two tenancies before us still get debt collection letters all the time, so we're talking at least five years ago now. I used to return them as "no longer at this address" but it didn't stop them, so I gave up.

They also once got a delivery of designer children's clothes from France with no return address on it, so that was a good day for the local charity shops. :dunno::lol:

Why bother asking in the first place if you're going to ignore the answer

He took my advice :D

Which suggests Fish and I have similar levels of 'not worth the risk' considerations.

Seriously though I'm always concerned with this kind of thing. A friend of mine advised that he was marked down on his credit score because his mum had declared bankruptcy at some point in her life... if they'll consider that, who the fuck knows what else they might factor in.

I think you would be surprised at just how easy it is to get a bad credit reference and how difficult it is to put it right, even if it has nothing to do with you.  I have certainly heard of bad references coming from the previous occupants of a property.  Clearly they should not take it into account, but once it has been it can be a nightmare to get the reference agencies to put it right, and there is always a concern that it still lurks somewhere in their files.

60 seconds spent googling the question would have led you to the right answer.

Previous occupants of your address don't affect your credit score

It makes no difference if the previous occupant of your home was a millionaire or bankrupt. It is a common misconception that you are financially connected to someone you have lived with or who has lived at the same address as you. This is not automatically the case – you are only financially connected if you share things such as a joint account or have applied for joint credit. Lenders are only interested in your financial details, plus those of anyone you're financially linked to.

If it were me, I'd still centralise to my parents. You guys have a startling amount of trust in credit agencies, and I'm not sure what it is they've done to merit this :P