Eriksson to quit after World Cup

Jimbo

Eriksson to quit after World Cup

Sven-Goran Eriksson will quit as England coach following this summer's World Cup finals.

FA chief executive Brian Barwick said: "The FA and Sven felt it was important to clarify his future.

"This is for the benefit of everyone connected with English football, especially the fans.

"There has been so much speculation surrounding this matter in recent weeks and months, it was important to resolve it now."

Some journo was saying if we got foreign again they'd try and get hiddink  :huh:

83638[/snapback]

History repeating itself here folks. English local legend (keegan) -> dour scot (dogleash) -> useless dutch man -> english local legend (robson) -> dour scot (souness) -> Hiddink -> Shearer?

predicting the future from the past!

Some journo was saying if we got foreign again they'd try and get hiddink  :huh:

83638[/snapback]

Newcastle or England?

83701[/snapback]

England which i'd be all for

83638[/snapback]

History repeating itself here folks. English local legend (keegan) -> dour scot (dogleash) -> useless dutch man -> english local legend (robson) -> dour scot (souness) -> Hiddink -> Shearer?

predicting the future from the past!

83672[/snapback]

*rubs chin*

Glad to see the xenophobic rag tops finally got their man. I hope they're pleased with themselves and the new and radical McClaren reign we'll have to suffer post-World Cup. I expect the Daily Mail sports section have wanked themselves into unconsciousness today.

Glad to see the xenophobic rag tops finally got their man. I hope they're pleased with themselves and the new and radical McClaren reign we'll have to suffer post-World Cup. I expect the Daily Mail sports section have wanked themselves into unconsciousness today.

83740[/snapback]

Jeff Powell will be loving this. How he gets his anti-Sven articles published, I'll never know. He's the worst kind of little Englander xenophobe.

England guarenteed to do well at the World Cup but ultimately fail (semis?) only for the press to backtrack and go on about how he's been the best England manager since Sir Alf.

83740[/snapback]

Jeff Powell will be loving this. How he gets his anti-Sven articles published, I'll never know. He's the worst kind of little Englander xenophobe.

83750[/snapback]

That's the man. He was also the bloke iirc who headed the witch hunt against Robson pre-Italia 90. The FA were paying Sven too much. Wow, what a newsflash, I'm sure Hoddle and Venables did it for peanuts.

England guarenteed to do well at the World Cup but ultimately fail (semis?) only for the press to backtrack and go on about how he's been the best England manager since Sir Alf.

83760[/snapback]

NOTW to launch a "Bring back Sven!" campaign.

83740[/snapback]

83750[/snapback]

That's the man. He was also the bloke iirc who headed the witch hunt against Robson pre-Italia 90. The FA were paying Sven too much. Wow, what a newsflash, I'm sure Hoddle and Venables did it for peanuts.

83762[/snapback]

Aye, that's another thing about Powell. He's clearly best mates with Terry Venables, cos around the time that Sven got given the job he was up in arms about lovable, cuddly best-man-for-the-job El Tel getting denied what was rightfully his as the greatest living Englishman. :huh:

Officially, Sven has the best record of any England manager. Qualified for everything, progressed past the group stages. Although, if Jeff Powell is to be believed, if we'd had Venables in charge we'd currently be European and World champions. :huh:

Not that I care much about England, but surely the FA have shot themselves in the foot by announcing Sven is leaving after the world cup, much like Shepherd did when he announced it was Robson's last year? That canot be good for morale. What's more, they're still going to pay him off, so that is like us sacking Souness now but keeping him until the summer. What's the point in that?

Erickson is a shit manager anyway, can I just officially say I don't want him anywhere near NUFC!

Well, I fucking love England and hope we win it! :huh:

I think it was just to kill off the inevitable press speculation, it was probably the worst kept secret in football that he was off after the World Cup

Erickson is a shit manager anyway, can I just officially say I don't want him anywhere near NUFC!

83780[/snapback]

Pre-emptive "Ericsson Out" noted and logged. :huh: Never let it be said that Renton won't give a manager a chance.

Anyone else you'd like to vote out prior to their appointment while you're on a roll? :search:

83780[/snapback]

Pre-emptive "Ericsson Out" noted and logged. :huh: Never let it be said that Renton won't give a manager a chance.

Anyone else you'd like to vote out prior to their appointment while you're on a roll? :search:

83789[/snapback]

Of course, there's loads, too many to list. Loads of acceptable ones too though. I shall make my judgement known when the next manager is appointed. And If I'm negative, it's up to him to prove me wrong!

83780[/snapback]

Anyone else you'd like to vote out prior to their appointment while you're on a roll? :o

83789[/snapback]

Of course, there's loads, too many to list. Loads of acceptable ones too though. I shall make my judgement known when the next manager is appointed. And If I'm negative, it's up to him to prove me wrong!

83792[/snapback]

If?

:search:

What I've always found confusing is that Sven possesses the charming looks of Mr Burns after a genetic experiment, but still he seems to be quite popular with the female sex. Didn't he run away with the Lazio chairman's wife after he resigned as manager?

What I've always found confusing is that Sven possesses the charming looks of Mr Burns after a genetic experiment, but still he seems to be quite popular with the female sex. Didn't he run away with the Lazio chairman's wife after he resigned as manager?

84096[/snapback]

SS44001.JPG
Edited by Renton

Guus Hiddink's agent has revealed that the Dutchman would be interested in hearing from the Football Association if it approached him to take over from Sven-Goran Eriksson.

In the wake of Eriksson's decision to leave the England manager's role following this summer's World Cup finals, Hiddink's agent Cees van Nieuwenhuizen admitted the PSV Eindhoven and Australia coach would be open to offers. "There's been no contact but he would definitely be interested in hearing from the FA," said Van Nieuwenhuizen. "It really doesn't make sense to speculate on what might happen if the FA did contact Guus and that has not been the case so far.

"He is still with PSV and still focusing on the World Cup with Australia. I know Guus well enough and for him the challenge will be in football and not the side-effects of the media, which he dealt with when he was with Real Madrid and Valencia in Spain, and in Turkey with Fenerbahce. We follow the media in England and we know what's going on but that would definitely not be a reason for him to say now.

"Guus is receiving offers every now and then and for him, money is definitely not the first reason to go into a job, if he was approached at all," added Van Nieuwenhuizen. "The whole football environment in England, from a professional level, can be considered as the best in the world - maybe not the way they play football every now and then - but the exposure of English football all over the world is a big thing."

However, Van Nieuwenhuizen also admitted PSV have made it clear they want to retain Hiddink's services and have approached him about a new contract. "Yes, they want to talk about it, they mentioned it just before the end of the year that they want to talk about the future of Guus at PSV," he said. "They definitely want to renew the contract."

Meanwhile, Middlesbrough have attempted to play down fresh speculation over manager Steve McClaren's future after it emerged that he had not signed his new four-year contract. So long perceived as a potential successor to Eriksson, McClaren was paraded by chairman Steve Gibson at a press conference in November last year after he had apparently finally put pen to paper on the deal which had been on the table for several months.

However, chief executive Keith Lamb, answering questions on a radio phone-in show last night, confirmed that the actual signing had not yet taken place, but insisted there was nothing sinister behind it. "A minor amendment is needed in Steve's contract. It's a minor technical detail that is so small that it has not been an issue for either the club or Steve," said Lamb. "We have long since agreed the contract and shaken hands on it, so there's absolutely no problem. The fact that the contract has not been signed is simply not an issue."

Lamb's view was reiterated by a club spokesman, who added: "The deal is done. This changes nothing." Both Boro and McClaren have insisted all along that there would be no get-out clause in the manager's new deal to allow him to accept the England job should it come his way, although both were well aware that would make little difference.

From the Guardian. Personally I can't understand why any foreigner would want the hassle after the crap Sven had to put up with.