Squad for the Premier League

The Fish

Squad for the Prem  

25 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Carrick is another one I'd love us to go for, but we won't, for the same reason.

Asked by MOTD magazine whether there’s any chance of signing for United, he said: “No, I think that’s passed now. When I was a kid I was supporting Newcastle, I dreamt one day I would do but I count myself very fortunate to have played for Manchester United for so long.

“It’s just one of those things where you can’t have everything. If and when I finish here (Manchester United), that will probably be it I think.

Carrick admits there has been contact down the years – but it’s been nothing concrete. “I wouldn’t say it was a definite option, but there was certainly interest there, a discussion or two, but there was nothing really,” he said.

“It never got to a stage where a decision had to be made, it was just talks and nothing really happened. Its just one of them things, life throws up things but it just wasn’t meant to be.”

For Carrick the future is either at Manchester United or moving abroad. If neither of those things materialises he’s set to retire this year.

“I’m not getting ahead of myself, I’ve been here for so long and I’ve enjoyed it, I won’t be playing for another club in England that’s for sure,” he said.

“We’ll see what happens, I haven’t really got any plans past this, I’m just enjoying how it is at the minute and just preparing for my testimonial.”

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't get this "I won't play for any other club" stuff. Is life just that much better at Old Trafford than anywhere else? You see players like Dirk Kuyt who's been more than happy to take a pay cut and go back to Feyenoord. He could do a really good job for us next season.

I think it's just a polished media version of saying I'll fuck off abroad for mega bucks otherwise I can't be arsed.

Aye, I'd imagine he knows full well he'd have a far harder season playing for NUFC than he would at Man Utd and he'd be seen as the star of the team with the pressure and responsibility of that. No doubt he'd have been up for it years ago but I can't really blame him for being at the point where he's ready to either retire, have another season at Man Utd or get a big pay day abroad.

Once he signed for Man Utd that was it for any chance of us realistically getting him, unless he'd flopped when he went there.

I don't get this "I won't play for any other club" stuff. Is life just that much better at Old Trafford than anywhere else? You see players like Dirk Kuyt who's been more than happy to take a pay cut and go back to Feyenoord. He could do a really good job for us next season.

To be fair to Dirk, his decision was probably made a little easier by the fact that he has never been a Manchester United player.