Newcastle United v Pies

wykikitoon

Whats the score like?  

31 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Neebugger seems te knaa why I'm so pessimistic and critical so let me explain.............

Aye we're top of the league, aye most likely will get promotion in 1st or 2nd place, but........

We are labouring to win games, we are making hard work of it, we are hardly ever playing good football, there are too many nail-biting games, games we should win easily we don't, we seem to struggle the most against the poorest teams like today for instance.

As for Rafa, I have to question his use of players, he brought in players like Gamez, Lazar, Hanly, Yedlin, Atsu, etc etc but few of them have seen any considerable amount of playing time yet he must have thought they were of high value. Lazar is hardly ever even on the bench. He insists on playing Anita, Gouffran, Colback, Dummett, Diame, who most of us seem to think are sub-standard in what we expect from them.

I fully expect to get some flak for this, but take your best shots, I'm armoured, indestructible, and too old to be harmed by sticks and stones. :thumbup:

Struggled less than any side in the division.  Most goals scored; least goals conceded.  With, as you've made very clear. a far-from-great side.

So why do you doubt him again?

There are two teams on the pitch every week.  How many teams do you think don't have nail-biters most weeks?

You're basically implying every game should be won by 2 clear goals, and early in the match at that.

Neebugger seems te knaa why I'm so pessimistic and critical so let me explain.............

Aye we're top of the league, aye most likely will get promotion in 1st or 2nd place, but........

We are labouring to win games, we are making hard work of it, we are hardly ever playing good football, there are too many nail-biting games, games we should win easily we don't, we seem to struggle the most against the poorest teams like today for instance.

As for Rafa, I have to question his use of players, he brought in players like Gamez, Lazar, Hanly, Yedlin, Atsu, etc etc but few of them have seen any considerable amount of playing time yet he must have thought they were of high value. Lazar is hardly ever even on the bench. He insists on playing Anita, Gouffran, Colback, Dummett, Diame, who most of us seem to think are sub-standard in what we expect from them.

I fully expect to get some flak for this, but take your best shots, I'm armoured, indestructible, and too old to be harmed by sticks and stones. :thumbup:

I think if we get promoted Rafa will have done his job. I don't think he should be criticised for functional football because thats what this league demands. Similarly we cant expect to win easily every week in this league with these players.

We don't have a divine right to be better than top of the championship. Things could be a lot worse - look at Villa, Norwich, Leeds, Sheffield Wednesday etc etc

Just noticed four of the last six matches after Burton are live on Sky, so we won't have to put up with this shite much longer. :nufc:

5 are on TV actually. Ipswich away is on overseas TV so it'll be on your favourite Kodi applications. ;)

Wasn't pretty today, but we had to get the job done and we did. They didn't particularly trouble us, their goal was down to Lascelles acting like a Sunday League defender. Also, how atrocious is the refereeing in this league? Ritchie's penalty non decision was fucking outrageous. Also towards the end Shelvey was driving forward on the break towards the end and a Wigan defender was all over him, pulling his shirt and his arm, the ref was looking straight at it the whole time and nowt was given. So bad.

And the fight on the touchline between the Wigan manager and the coach who does our set pieces after the Ritchie penalty decision was mint :lol:

Nevertheless, it's 3 points and we should be getting the same on Wednesday. HTL.

Q65HuwX.gif

Neebugger seems te knaa why I'm so pessimistic and critical so let me explain.............

Aye we're top of the league, aye most likely will get promotion in 1st or 2nd place, but........

We are labouring to win games, we are making hard work of it, we are hardly ever playing good football, there are too many nail-biting games, games we should win easily we don't, we seem to struggle the most against the poorest teams like today for instance.

As for Rafa, I have to question his use of players, he brought in players like Gamez, Lazar, Hanly, Yedlin, Atsu, etc etc but few of them have seen any considerable amount of playing time yet he must have thought they were of high value. Lazar is hardly ever even on the bench. He insists on playing Anita, Gouffran, Colback, Dummett, Diame, who most of us seem to think are sub-standard in what we expect from them.

I fully expect to get some flak for this, but take your best shots, I'm armoured, indestructible, and too old to be harmed by sticks and stones. :thumbup:

We don't have a divine right to be better than top of the championship. Things could be a lot worse - look at Villa, Norwich, Leeds, Sheffield Wednesday etc etc

Exactly.  We're going up this year, but if we keep playing Russian roulette with relegation we might be one of those teams, or worse.

It's all relative isn't it? You don't think we are currently in a mess? Until we get promotion AND Ashley opens his pocket book And we buy the right players AND etc. etc...

Until we win the PL?

"I want us to be top" "okay we're top in April" "nah man I want us to be top AND be hammering everyone playing class football"

Sorry like Noelie but you've set unrealistic expectations if that is what you were thinking was going to happen. Look how fucking shite we were under McClaren last season, that's the core of this side, they've went from looking clueless to controlling most games, pretty or not we've controlled the vast majority of games including todays. 

We got relegated, we're in a shit league with 24 sides in it, we've played more than a Premier League season and still have 7 more to go over a very similar time frame as the PL season. It's a total slog of a season, our squad is tired but they're still getting the job done against sides that are coming to St James' Park with nothing in mind other than a 0-0 draw. It's completely different playing sides that are at least having a go against you compared to playing 2 sides a week that are set up to frustrate. Look at Aston Villa and Norwich to get an idea of how much of a slog it is.

He bought those players to fill his squad out, some he has needed, others he hasn't. As Quiff mentioned it's actually a positive that he is going with players that are doing a job for him regardless of if he bought them or not. We needed bodies in as the squad was thin and that's what players like Hanley, Gamez, Lazaar, Murphy etc are, they've not exactly looked blatantly better than those you want them to be in the team over. Atsu has done well as an impact sub, that's why Rafa prefers to start with Gouffran and sub Atsu onto the flank with the more tired fullback late in the game. Yedlin has been a good buy and has played plenty. His other buys were Gayle, Hayden, Diame, and Ritchie who have all played most games and are part of the reason we're top.

It's fine saying he spent loads but think back to last season, who were our best players? It was probably Wijnaldum and Townsend, both of those were sold and we were buying from a position of weakness. As I say a lot of these players were brought in to bulk the squad out, I've no idea why you think he sees the players you listed as 'high value' when most of them were about 3-5m which is jack shit for upper Championship/Lower Premier League players. I will add to all of this that if you're expecting every Benitez buy to be brilliant you've again set your expectations too high, he like anyone occasionally buys duds, he does however get something out of those duds most of the time where shit managers like Alan Pardew don't.

You can't be expecting top players that come in capable of playing brilliant attacking football when you've just been relegated, pointing to sides like Brighton is also unfair as Hughton has been in charge a while and they have a settled side that are used to playing in this league and the volume of games. It's also worth pointing out that if you watch Brighton games teams don't sit as deep against them as they do us. There isn't another side you could point too other than Brighton, Huddersfield are shite, they're 10 points behind us so you're crackers if you look at them envious of their play all they do is pass the ball back and forth and we have won more games by bigger margins than them, 90% of their wins are by 1 goal margins.

You say we're making hard work of it but we're 10 points clear of 3rd place in April, I'd love to see the side that were making light work of this league. Most games we're knocking on the door of a winning goal for 90 minutes and it can be a question of if we get it or not but you can't expect to win 46 games, you're going to have slip ups, or games that don't go your way.

It's also worth noting that compared to the sides nearest us we've been fairly unfortunate with injuries and bans. We were without our best central midfielder (and arguably player) as well as our top goal scorer for the most congested period of the season. If Brighton had to go as long as we did without Murray and Knockaert they'd not be within a point of us. 

Edited by Howay

"I want us to be top" "okay we're top in April" "nah man I want us to be top AND be hammering everyone playing class football"

Sorry like Noelie but you've set unrealistic expectations if that is what you were thinking was going to happen. Look how fucking shite we were under McClaren last season, that's the core of this side, they've went from looking clueless to controlling most games, pretty or not we've controlled the vast majority of games including todays. 

We got relegated, we're in a shit league with 24 sides in it, we've played more than a Premier League season and still have 7 more to go over a very similar time frame as the PL season. It's a total slog of a season, our squad is tired but they're still getting the job done against sides that are coming to St James' Park with nothing in mind other than a 0-0 draw. It's completely different playing sides that are at least having a go against you compared to playing 2 sides a week that are set up to frustrate. Look at Aston Villa and Norwich to get an idea of how much of a slog it is.

He bought those players to fill his squad out, some he has needed, others he hasn't. As Quiff mentioned it's actually a positive that he is going with players that are doing a job for him regardless of if he bought them or not. We needed bodies in as the squad was thin and that's what players like Hanley, Gamez, Lazaar, Murphy etc are, they've not exactly looked blatantly better than those you want them to be in the team over. Atsu has done well as an impact sub, that's why Rafa prefers to start with Gouffran and sub Atsu onto the flank with the more tired fullback late in the game. Yedlin has been a good buy and has played plenty. His other buys were Gayle, Hayden, Diame, and Ritchie who have all played most games and are part of the reason we're top.

It's fine saying he spent loads but think back to last season, who were our best players? It was probably Wijnaldum and Townsend, both of those were sold and we were buying from a position of weakness. As I say a lot of these players were brought in to bulk the squad out, I've no idea why you think he sees the players you listed as 'high value' when most of them were about 3-5m which is jack shit for upper Championship/Lower Premier League players. I will add to all of this that if you're expecting every Benitez buy to be brilliant you've again set your expectations too high, he like anyone occasionally buys duds, he does however get something out of those duds most of the time where shit managers like Alan Pardew don't.

You can't be expecting top players that come in capable of playing brilliant attacking football when you've just been relegated, pointing to sides like Brighton is also unfair as Hughton has been in charge a while and they have a settled side that are used to playing in this league and the volume of games. It's also worth pointing out that if you watch Brighton games teams don't sit as deep against them as they do us. There isn't another side you could point too other than Brighton, Huddersfield are shite, they're 10 points behind us so you're crackers if you look at them envious of their play all they do is pass the ball back and forth and we have won more games by bigger margins than them, 90% of their wins are by 1 goal margins.

You say we're making hard work of it but we're 10 points clear of 3rd place in April, I'd love to see the side that were making light work of this league. Most games we're knocking on the door of a winning goal for 90 minutes and it can be a question of if we get it or not but you can't expect to win 46 games, you're going to have slip ups, or games that don't go your way.

It's also worth noting that compared to the sides nearest us we've been fairly unfortunate with injuries and bans. We were without our best central midfielder (and arguably player) as well as our top goal scorer for the most congested period of the season. If Brighton had to go as long as we did without Murray and Knockaert they'd not be within a point of us.

Great post mate but don't bother. It's like teaching people how to lick Windows, you both end up wet and looking like spastics.

I think you're spot on Howay. I was actually are the match yesterday for the first time in a while. We did well, Wigan were competitive but fucking hell, we beat them! Also the refereeing was atrocious and we were denied a clear penalty and possibly a wigan red card.

What more do people want? We're on course to win the league. If that's not enough, I suggest you become a Chelsea fan, or at least a fan of who is doing best (last year Leicester).

Also worth noting that when we've had to step up our game, we've won. If we go to the PL and are underdogs in most games, I actually think that'll suit Rafa nicely. Bloodying the noses of 'bigger' teams was always his thing.

Edited by Rayvin

I think you're spot on Howay. I was actually are the match yesterday for the first time in a while. We did well, Wigan were competitive but fucking hell, we beat them! Also the refereeing was atrocious and we were denied a clear penalty and possibly a wigan red card.

What more do people want? We're on course to win the league. If that's not enough, I suggest you become a Chelsea fan, or at least a fan of who is doing best (last year Leicester).

That last bit; spot on. In general it's a bit of cunty thing to say but those words have crossed my mind more than once this season , just piss off and start following Chelsea if you want the moon on a string :lol:

Chelsea whose recent rise to prominence was largely achieved through pragmatic and not-so-attractive football?

That would never do.

Edited by adios

I honestly can't find any fault with Benny the way he is managing the group and delivering a consistent promotion campaign. This isn't the time to be picky about this and that. The priority is to get up as quickly as possible and everything else is secondary.

Good post. Long post. Fishy type of post ;)

People complaining about not seeing entertaining football obviously never watched Rafa's Liverpool teams. They were workmanlike despite having quality players and found ways to win in all sorts of games. When they came up here they way they decided to win was by absolutely pummelling us. I bet people weren't saying his team's weren't entertaining when they gave us utter drubbings.