Championship Run In

The Fish

Championship Run In  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Aye, that Sky Sports page made it out like 3rd place isn't a curse because they're the most likely side to go up. But the question should really have been answered "Yes it's a curse because more often than not a different side wins the Play Offs."

This post makes no sense whatsoever.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think we're going to be playing any teams 'on holiday'. The rest of the league might - but teams are desperate for something against us.

This post makes no sense whatsoever.

Poorly worded, but I just meant that of the teams promoted from the play offs, 3rd placed teams go up more than any other, however, what happens more often is that one of the teams placed 4-6 goes up. 

I don't think we're going to be playing any teams 'on holiday'. The rest of the league might - but teams are desperate for something against us.

That's a good point actually and one I'm totally going to appropriate as my own on the podcast later :good:

Poorly worded, but I just meant that of the teams promoted from the play offs, 3rd placed teams go up more than any other, however, what happens more often is that one of the teams placed 4-6 goes up. 

Yes but given that it's a four horse race then a 40% chance is actually very good. Certainly not a curse.

I voted Brighton top, purely because I believe myself to be an utter jinx for these things. Still put us at 2nd though because I honestly don't think Huddersfield will catch us.

Yeah but the jinx doesn't work when it's deliberate ;)

Yes but given that it's a four horse race then a 40% chance is actually very good. Certainly not a curse.

I think Fish means the playoffs are a curse from the perspective that 3rd should really go up 100% of the time.

I'm just coming from the position where they're more likely to miss out than get promotion and they won't really care who goes up in their place, surely?

Also, the odds of them winning the play offs should be shorter than it is, though, right?

Yeah but the jinx doesn't work when it's deliberate ;)

I was checking to make sure relegation wasn't still a possibility after reading that post tbh. :panic:

Edited by adios

Also, the odds of them winning the play offs should be shorter than it is, though, right?

If I'm reading this right, then absolutely not.  In an even race they'd all have a 25% chance.  It means they're better than 62% to beat each team they face in the playoffs.

Think Fulham are the classic "late surge into the play offs" team, there's often one. Think Leeds are the best team in there though. Tbh it's a total lottery. I've been impressed with them all at times this season but it's their inconsistency that keeps them out the top two and makes the play offs pretty hard to call. Fulham have done the double over us though so am going for them

Fulham are probably the best side we've played. They tonked Huddersfield and Reading at home in October / November, but have been maddeningly inconsistent at times this season. For example, they've drawn at home to Blackburn, lost at home to Wolves and scraped a 1-0 at Rotherham since beating us. Huddersfield might have the setup to do it if they can recover their form by the end of the season. 

I'm almost certain now the top two will be us and Brighton, I'm just not sure on the order.

A mate that supports Fulham and watches all their games, the club streams them via their site, says if an opposition tries to play football against them they will usually run them off the park but when someone like Wolves or Blackburn kick lumps out of them, Fulham don't fight back and they lose.

We need 5 wins to guarantee it now and that's the absolute worst case scenario - assuming Huddersfield win every game of their last 8. They've lost their last 2 without scoring.

You've got to fancy us now lads.

Edited by rob032

I think Brighton takes it due to recent form & remaining schedule. Think we'll secure the 2nd spot and Leeds will take the playoff spot. Huddersfield peaked to early.

Edited by Graing

I think Brighton takes it due to recent form & remaining schedule. Think we'll secure the 2nd spot and Leeds will take the playoff spot. Huddersfield peaked to early.

Their form is only marginally better than ours. Their away form is reasonably poor and they've four out of the last six away from home.

We'll take top spot by at least three points.

What's the earliest we could get second place given the remaining games?

Highest points tally Huddersfield can possibly get is 95, so as it stands we'd need another 14pts to guarantee 2nd, so 5 games minimum.

However, at the current PpG rate Huddersfield are on course for 86pts, meaning we only need another 5pts, which at our current PpG would take us 3 games.

Draw tonight and we are guaranteed a Play Off spot, by the way.

Edited by The Fish

Highest points tally Huddersfield can possibly get is 95, so as it stands we'd need another 14pts to guarantee 2nd, so 5 games minimum.

However, at the current PpG rate Huddersfield are on course for 86pts, meaning we only need another 5pts, which at our current PpG would take us 3 games.

Draw tonight and we are guaranteed a Play Off spot, by the way.

5 games is definitely not the minimum like.  If Huddersfield lose their next three and we win our next two, they can't catch us.  Theoretically we could be up by Good Friday.

I fancy Reading for the play offs at the moment.  They seem to hitting some form where Huddersfield and Leeds are stumbling a bit.  But I would look at who has form in the last two or three games of the season before deciding.

5 games is definitely not the minimum like.  If Huddersfield lose their next three and we win our next two, they can't catch us.  Theoretically we could be up by Good Friday.

I fancy Reading for the play offs at the moment.  They seem to hitting some form where Huddersfield and Leeds are stumbling a bit.  But I would look at who has form in the last two or three games of the season before deciding.

I meant 5 games minimum if they win all their remaining games.

Well if you were less concerned with confusing people with unnecessarily obscure language you might have said what you meant  :razz:  

Can't help it, I'm quite the sesquipedalian.