Newcastle United v Sheff Weds

wykikitoon

Whats the score like?  

28 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What has happened to Mbemba though... he looked like a really good bet initially but seems to be really struggling atm. Is it just a lack of match sharpness or has he just fallen away?

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is it like, and we're likely to be without Gayle for the rest of the season, meaning we'll have been without him for about 3 months of what is almost certainly a promotion season. Am utterly pissed off with the "if we're not utterly brilliant we're shite" brigade. No nuance, no time for legitimate explanations e.g. injuries as outlined above, no fuckin clue. Rafa is properly building the club from the empty husk it was last season, it's a pity a lot of our lot can't see it.

Good day out yesterday,in spite of Wednesday being the better side for 80% of the game. Personally it's the first time I've been to Hillsborough since Boxing Day 1988, four months before the disaster. My mate said of all the stands that should've been redeveloped as a direct result of what happened then you'd have thought the leppings lane stand would've been a major priority. But it looks the same as it did 30 years ago, which in 2017 is shabby, scruffy and delapidated. It's frankly a disgrace iyam, and it's also more than a bit eerie to see Wednesday supporters in there yesterday. Rafa and some supporters groups left floral tributes at the memorial, really good of them.

We had a few in town after the game then got the train back to Chesterfield where we were staying, a town with more than a touch of Royston Vasey about it :D

Surprised you were able to pick them out. Couldn't believe they were charging Newcastle fans £47 for tickets when there were nearly 11,000 empty seats!

Stuart Attwell seems to be avoiding the any criticism, but he had a bad game imo. Not just Bannan's clear red card challenge, but throughout the game he was soft on challenges that should have seen a player receiving a caution. Just as the referee was in the reverse fixture.

Shef Wed definitely deserved to win because we were poor, but had Bannan rightly seen red, (and had Gayle not gone off injured) the result could have been a lot different. 

3rd placed Huddersfield would need to get 11pts from their final 6 games and us to lose every game, to usurp us in 2nd. Given they've been averaging 1.5PpG in the past 6, and they've still got Preston, Fulham and Derby to play, I just can't see us dropping out of the automatic spots. We're currently 2 pts off top spot and while winning the league would have been a nice ending, it, for me, is just a side issue to the important feat of getting promoted at the first time of asking.

I know it's not mathematically assured, but I'm convinced we've got automatic promotion sewn up.

There were times Mbemba looked really confident on the ball on Saturday, but some of his marking and that moment where he gave the ball away on the edge of the box were criminal. I think there's a good player there somewhere, but the fact Rafa has struggled to place any trust in him makes me doubt his future lies here.

There were times Mbemba looked really confident on the ball on Saturday, but some of his marking and that moment where he gave the ball away on the edge of the box were criminal. I think there's a good player there somewhere, but the fact Rafa has struggled to place any trust in him makes me doubt his future lies here.

I think those issues would be sorted with more experience in the league, but I doubt he'll get the chances. 

Think if we beat Leeds, Ipswich and Preston then Huddersfield can't catch us. I don't think we'll do that, but as fish says I don't think they're going to win their next three either so we'll probably limp over the line and get promoted after either Preston or Cardiff.

In Gayle's likely absence, I'd personally love it if Mitro's picked ahead of Murphy and launches us into 1st place with goals, assists and controlled aggression. 

Love. It.

:MITRO:

I think those issues would be sorted with more experience in the league, but I doubt he'll get the chances. 

Agreed, I think the best course of action is to try and bring in one top-tier centre back (yeah, simple as that) to play alongside Clarke. Lascelles would the be third choice and maybe even keep Hanley as fourth choice? Doubt Mbemba will stick around to be a reserve.

Agreed, I think the best course of action is to try and bring in one top-tier centre back (yeah, simple as that) to play alongside Clarke. Lascelles would the be third choice and maybe even keep Hanley as fourth choice? Doubt Mbemba will stick around to be a reserve.

Piece of piss mate, just stick a load of unlikely clauses/bonuses in the deal with his club (an extra £2m if we win the Premier League, £4m if he makes 30 international appearances etc), then loads of bonuses in his contract (£750k if he's the league's top goal scorer, £1m if we win the FA Cup) :good:

To me that was another performance that highlighted how short we are when it comes to a decent starting XI next season (should we go up) and how good a job the manager has done with the resources this season

Piece of piss mate, just stick a load of unlikely clauses/bonuses in the deal with his club (an extra £2m if we win the Premier League, £4m if he makes 30 international appearances etc), then loads of bonuses in his contract (£750k if he's the league's top goal scorer, £1m if we win the FA Cup) :good:

Sorted. I've heard there's a great centre half in Ligue 1 who might be available. Mapou something or other...  :unsure2:

Edited by rogerbarton

To me that was another performance that highlighted how short we are when it comes to a decent starting XI next season (should we go up) and how good a job the manager has done with the resources this season

Applying a Noelie harsh view to a few away games some of them could easily have given similar results - I'm thinking of games where chances were missed as good as the ones Wednesday missed before scoring. All part of football of course but the view that we've controlled games universally is a bit rose-tinted.

I agree we've done well with a limited squad despite that though.

Totally agree with this.  Mind you we were also without 3 key players in Clark, Yedlin and Hayden.  Since Shelvey's suspension have we managed to have all of him, Gayle, Hayden, and Yedlin on the pitch at the same time?  It's not surprising that our performances haven't been as good without these key players who were really clicking up to that point.

What has happened to Mbemba though... he looked like a really good bet initially but seems to be really struggling atm. Is it just a lack of match sharpness or has he just fallen away?

I gave him the benefit of the doubt on Saturday; he needs games before any harsh criticism.

I gave him the benefit of the doubt on Saturday; he needs games before any harsh criticism.

I would have went with Hanley on Saturday given the nature of their attack.  He would have been better suited to play against a striker like Fletcher.  Not having anyone playing a defensive midfield role didn't help the defence on Saturday mind.