Mass Effect Andromeda

Andrew

I held back on creating this one due to the critical panning the game took but for the life of me, having now played it through, I do not understand why it got the reception it did.

So rather than diving into all that shit I will say that this stands up (to me) as well as any of the other ME games, second only to ME2 in my list.

I have started a second playthrough with the first major patch released which has definitely eased some of the technical issues but the actual combat and gameplay were possibly the best of the series without that anyway.

Trailer.

Score. Its good/10

7.5 is low in my book. 2 and 3 were 9/10 games for me, and I think that's why this is disappointing for people. If it was a standalone game then sure, decent enough. But considering what it has to live up to, 7.5 is a poor attempt.

EDIT - just reflecting on this, you've cited combat and gameplay as being superior, which they presumably are. The story is and creative aspects of this are supposed to be what lets it down more than anything. How do they hold up?

Edited by Rayvin

7.5 is low in my book. 2 and 3 were 9/10 games for me, and I think that's why this is disappointing for people. If it was a standalone game then sure, decent enough. But considering what it has to live up to, 7.5 is a poor attempt.

EDIT - just reflecting on this, you've cited combat and gameplay as being superior, which they presumably are. The story is and creative aspects of this are supposed to be what lets it down more than anything. How do they hold up?

Perfectly well to me, 2 and 3 used characters already established in a universe that had been around and had history to it already. 

Andromeda is the start of an entirely new story and bears more comparison to 1 as a result.

7.5 is lower than its worth in usual VG review scoring where an 8 is cause for outrage, by that logic its easily an 8.5 to me.

In more reasonable terms a 7.5 is pretty well above average and this is definitely true of ME:A. 

If it kicks off a trilogy as good as the first one, I won't mind. I wasn't all that impressed by ME1 and have only played through it once, but it was a gateway to far better games in 2 and 3. If the same is true here then fair enough.

My big concern though is that Bioware have started fucking up a bit too often, probably because they're now under the watchful eyes of E-fucking-A.

If it kicks off a trilogy as good as the first one, I won't mind. I wasn't all that impressed by ME1 and have only played through it once, but it was a gateway to far better games in 2 and 3. If the same is true here then fair enough.

My big concern though is that Bioware have started fucking up a bit too often, probably because they're now under the watchful eyes of E-fucking-A.

Have they?

Dragon Age Inquisition was fantastic as was Origins, ME2 and 3 (as you said) were comfortable 9/10s, 1 was adored (though I'm not personally that fond of it).

Only DA2 really blots their copybook to me and I enjoyed that enough tbh, what else are they fucking up?

edit: Forgot the old republic, which was shit.

:lol: I actually thought DA2 was playable - solid 7.5/10 ;)

DAI I couldn't even bring myself to finish. Gave up after about 30 hours as there was no compelling narrative to keep me invested in it. Haven't gone back to it.

So for me, it's been more of a steady downward trend.

ME2 and DA:O were the highlights, top tier stuff.

ME3 and DA2 were good (and I'm doing ME3 a disservice here as it's actually far better than DA2 IMO; just not as good as the top tier)

DA:I and apparently ME:A. I haven't played Andromeda yet though, will be getting it over the weekend.

Just feels like they're going in the wrong direction (for my tastes, at least).