Predict the score  

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Aye it was bad for a while - two blokes behind me in the leazes were twisting about everything.

They were even trying to twist at 4-1 but gradually realised how embarrassing they were an shut up. Hopefully people temper their expectations for next year...

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dr Gloom, I think you're being a bit harsh on Gamez and Laazar, I don't think we've seen enough of them to see how good they are, and we know Gamez has played in the Champions League.

If Rafa doesn't fancy them in the championship, we can rule them out for the premier league

I think that in order to sign all the players on your list we'd need to be spending £80m. We won't be able to do that without financial backing from Ashley and that's the sort of guarantee that Rafa will need to stay on and is exactly what the club will need.

NUFC to Score
0 - wykikitoon, TheGingerQuiff
1 - rogerbarton, Kevin Carr's Gloves, Holden McGroin, Graing, OTF
2 - ewerk, The Fish, Rayvin, Park Life, strawb, tooner, Dougle, Ant, Happy Face, BenarPHa, ohhh_yeah
3 - sammynb, Andrew, StoneColdStephenIreland, Howay, Dr Gloom, MiddleAgeCool, Kitman, Jintsay, barnabox
4+ - David Kelly, @yourservice, LooneyToony, adios

NUFC to Concede
0 - ewerk, wykikitoon, Andrew, The Fish, rogerbarton, Park Life, strawb, Kevin Carr's Gloves, Howay, tooner, Dr Gloom, Dougle, Ant, Happy Face, OTF, BenarPHa, TheGingerQuiff, barnabox, LooneyToony, adios
1 - sammynb, Rayvin, David Kelly, StoneColdStephenIreland, Holden McGroin, Graing, MiddleAgeCool, Kitman, Jintsay
2 - ohhh_yeah, @yourservice
3 -
4+ -

First half was atrocious near the singing corner. Moans about back passes on the half way line but also for ceding possession, for a team verging on promotion.

Aye watching it on the Tele yesterday there seemed to be more moans and groans than getting behind the team which was annoying as it was only the first half and at times then it seemed the players really needed the fans behind them.

For next season, I think the first team needs the following.

Two new first choice full backs

A new number 10

A striker

At least one centre half.

A new left winger.

An alternative deep lying midfield playmaker to compete with shelvey

I wouldn't be adverse to taking de Jong back, seeing if he can get through a season without falling apart. Maybe Armstrong too.

The following can all do one:

Colback

Anita

Diame

Perez

Hanley

Selz

Gamez

Lazar

Sammy

Gouffran

Possibly dummet too if we sign better players in. We know he's shit at left back in the pl

How much do you reckon the incoming transfers could cost? 

Would you be happy enough with those you mention being pushed further from the 1st team, but still in the squad, or do you want them gone?

I'd be all right with keeping Perez & Lazaar, I still think there could be a useful player in Perez and I've not seen enough of Lazaar to write him off yet, but he was cheap, he's still young and maybe when we're playing a more counter-attack style in the Premier League his pace may be more useful?

I was properly nervous in the first half, but as soon as Atsu's goal went in I calmed the fuck down.

I don't think it was a great performance by any stretch, but it was another performance that was good enough to get the job done. I thought Mitrovic played well but he was obviously lacking match sharpness, as some of his choices weren't the best. He had a couple of 1/4 chances but never really had an opportunity himself. Good awareness and execution for Atsu's goal and was decent at holding the ball up throughout the game. Only looked frustrated a couple of times, did anyone see if he stropped about Ritchie taking the penalty? I saw him begging for the freekick. 

Lascelles looked a bit panicky, but by christ we look a lot more solid with Clark in the team. 

Anita offered very little and exposed us to Barkhuizen's pace, ritchie looked up for it and a threat throughout the game. Shelvey and Hayden were too deep for my liking, but I can only assume that was to try and draw Preston out? I don't think Shelvey had one of his best games and we suffered because of it. For all Perez scored twice, we 100% need a 1st choice #10.

Fucking delighted to get back in the Premier League. I mean the Championship has, at times, been a right fucking laugh. But the standard of refereeing, the poxy little clubs with their poxy little attempts to attain relevance by sharing out spotlight, the poxy tv coverage, the poxy pundits, the poxy "narratives" about us... that can all fuck the fuck off.

Now it's on Ashley to back Rafa Benitez properly in the summer and make sure we don't drop down again.

Preston struck me as a poorer man's Huddersfield - they tried to play a bit of football without really hurting us. I think we've been efficient this season but I don't like seeing the lesser teams having players more comfortable on the ball than ours.

Without going full Noelie we'll need more footballers* next season.

* By that I just mean people who can play.

Perez can stay if he's happy being 4th or 5th choice and grafting for a start. He's been a major disappointment this season for me. I expected much more from him and from mitro in terms of goals. What did they manage - 6 or 7 each? Mitro, id give another chance because of his all round game. Needs to work on his finishing though. If we keep him, you can add Murphy to that list.

The likes of Lazar and Gamez can go because Rafa doesn't fancy them so what the point in keeping them? If he didn't trust them to start in the championship it's unlikely they'll get a look in in the top flight.

I think Rafa could keep this team up with minimal investment. But we have a chance of a top ten finish if he's backed properly - he's that good a manager. And yes, I think that means investment of up to £100m

Perez can stay if he's happy being 4th or 5th choice and grafting for a start. He's been a major disappointment this season for me. I expected much more from him and from mitro in terms of goals. What did they manage - 6 or 7 each? Mitro, id give another chance because of his all round game. Needs to work on his finishing though. If we keep him, you can add Murphy to that list.

The likes of Lazar and Gamez can go because Rafa doesn't fancy them so what the point in keeping them? If he didn't trust them to start in the championship it's unlikely they'll get a look in in the top flight.

I think Rafa could keep this team up with minimal investment. But we have a chance of a top ten finish if he's backed properly - he's that good a manager. And yes, I think that means investment of up to £100m

I don't doubt with that kind of backing Benitez could have us achieving great things, but I think we'll get little over 1/2 that this summer and the aim will be safety (12th-15th). To be fair, I think that's attainable with the right weaknesses addressed.

I don't mind keeping the likes of gouffran and dummet as squad players as they've both had alright seasons and graft hard. I doubt gouffran will get a new deal though. The one I hope we never have to endure again is colback.

Edited by Dr Gloom

I don't doubt with that kind of backing Benitez could have us achieving great things, but I think we'll get little over 1/2 that this summer and the aim will be safety (12th-15th). To be fair, I think that's attainable with the right weaknesses addressed.

That'll see Rafa walk. He isn't staying just to keep us in the league. We need to be buying with the aim of mid-table with 12th as a minimum.

Perez is someone more suited to a higher level than the championship (which sounds stupid but bear with me)

He'll get more of fouls for a start, refs were never that forthcoming with the whistle when he went down this season, he'd have got a good number of them in the PL. He'll also be up against more footbally opponents and fewer cloggers who are going for the hoof, which is where is dribbles, flicks and little passes will come off better.

Lazaar and Gamez are weird ones, Gamez I think was brought in for experience and to be an older head in the dressing room but Lazaar has been entirely anonymous, why is he here? There was something a while back about Rafa wanting his english to be of a particular standard before he plays though I don't know if that has any credibility.

He'd probably keep us up with what we've got and a typical Ashley budget but he and we will want more than another season of hanging on for survival. The question is will Ashley?

If he only offers a meagre purse, Benitez will rightly walk as he can take his pick from jobs across the continent where he'll be backed by an ambitious owner. This season will only further enhance his cv

Edited by Dr Gloom

That'll see Rafa walk. He isn't staying just to keep us in the league. We need to be buying with the aim of mid-table with 12th as a minimum.

Is he that short sighted though? Us just never really being in the relegation conversation would be an excellent return even if it culminated in a 14th/15th place finish in the end.

A lot of people are saying Rafa will walk in this or that circumstance and I just can't see it unless he has somewhere to go lined up, the guy started managing his kids school team between jobs when he got sacked before, he loves it.

Anita as well. Not sure why Rafa seems to prefer him over Yedlin.

He doesn't, they've started very nearly the same number of games this season, and I think Yedlin had some injury time out as well didn't he?

Perez is someone more suited to a higher level than the championship (which sounds stupid but bear with me)

He'll get more of fouls for a start, refs were never that forthcoming with the whistle when he went down this season, he'd have got a good number of them in the PL. He'll also be up against more footbally opponents and fewer cloggers who are going for the hoof, which is where is dribbles, flicks and little passes will come off better.

I'm not buying that. Too often he has been unable to do the basics and deliver any end product. That's not just the league he's in, it's because he's had a woeful season.

Jury's out. He definitely looked better in the top flight. He's got nice touch and can finish but he's been very poor this season. And I don't think he's suited to the number 10 role in Rafa's system. We need someone more proactive in that position. Someone who goes hunting for the ball, demanding it, who can take players on and create.

Is he that short sighted though? Us just never really being in the relegation conversation would be an excellent return even if it culminated in a 14th/15th place finish in the end.

A lot of people are saying Rafa will walk in this or that circumstance and I just can't see it unless he has somewhere to go lined up, the guy started managing his kids school team between jobs when he got sacked before, he loves it.

He's a top level manager. He isn't interested in wasting his time in bottom quarter of the table. He stayed with us in spite of us being in the Championship partly because of the fans but largely because he sees the potential here and that potential will require a substantial injection of funds and if that isn't happening this summer then why on earth would he think it's going to happen the following summer?

I'd be satisfied with staying up next season but Rafa is going to want to see more ambition than that because he himself has higher aspirations. The bottom half of the PL are mostly shite. We don't need a settling in season, with the right players coming in we are capable of frog leaping a lot of the dross.

He's a top level manager. He isn't interested in wasting his time in bottom quarter of the table. He stayed with us in spite of us being in the Championship partly because of the fans but largely because he sees the potential here and that potential will require a substantial injection of funds and if that isn't happening this summer then why on earth would he think it's going to happen the following summer?

I'd be satisfied with staying up next season but Rafa is going to want to see more ambition than that because he himself has higher aspirations. The bottom half of the PL are mostly shite. We don't need a settling in season, with the right players coming in we are capable of frog leaping a lot of the dross.

A lot of that garbage finally got flushed this season though, if sunderland boro and hull go then all that remains are actually decent football teams that all have a good player or two who can win games and teams like West Brom and Burnley who are really well drilled and hard to beat.

Next seasons PL looks like a tougher league to survive in than this seasons

Agree with Ewerk on Rafa. It was nice to see him answer those questions yesterday with a smile on his face. He managed to get the funds from Ashley last time around using this tactic.

The difference then was he held all the cards. Ashley was desperate to bounce straight back up and he had a guy he knew could do it. Will he be as generous his time around now we're back in the promised land? I'd like to think he's learned his lesson finally but January didn't bode well and we all know from his track record that he has no problems shooting the club in the foot from a relative position of strength.

A lot of that garbage finally got flushed this season though, if sunderland boro and hull go then all that remains are actually decent football teams that all have a good player or two who can win games and teams like West Brom and Burnley who are really well drilled and hard to beat.

Next seasons PL looks like a tougher league to survive in than this seasons

Outside of the top 7 I'd say that Southampton and Stoke are really only the other two good sides. I'm not saying that we've a divine right to finish above all the rest but with the right investment and Rafa in charge we should be capable of it.

Agree with Ewerk on Rafa. It was nice to see him answer those questions yesterday with a smile on his face. He managed to get the funds from Ashley last time around using this tactic.

The difference then was he held all the cards. Ashley was desperate to bounce straight back up and he had a guy he knew could do it. Will he be as generous his time around now we're back in the promised land? I'd like to think he's learned his lesson finally but January didn't bode well and we all know from his track record that he has no problems shooting the club in the foot from a relative position of strength.

It depends on what Ashley's ambitions for the club are. Is he willing to put his own money in to see the club succeed. If he isn't then we're likely fucked for as long as he is at the club as no decent manager will touch us with a barge pole having seen the problems that Keegan and Rafa have had.