2017 GE 1

Kevin Carr's Gloves

“For as long as Corbyn leads Labour, we will ensure there’s a Tory PM.”

The DUP’s ‘price’ for propping up a new Conservative government will include a promise that there would be no post-Brexit special status for Northern Ireland, the party’s leader in Westminster has confirmed.

Nigel Dodds, re-elected as North Belfast MP, said that among their preconditions would be an insistence that there was no separate deal that would effectively keep the region with one foot still inside the EU.

The DUP fears that special status after Brexit – a key demand of Sinn Féin – would de-couple Northern Ireland from the rest of the UK.

The party will return to the House of Commons with 10 seats and in all likelihood will only support a Tory administration, Dodds said.

13 minutes ago, Renton said:

So I was thinking, the DUP in their ridiculous patriotic fervour supported Brexit. But surely they don't want a hard border? So won't this mean they will push for a soft Brexit and to stay in the single market and customs union? Or am I giving them too much credit? 

Add in gassing all catholics and they'll be fine

5 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

“For as long as Corbyn leads Labour, we will ensure there’s a Tory PM.”

The DUP’s ‘price’ for propping up a new Conservative government will include a promise that there would be no post-Brexit special status for Northern Ireland, the party’s leader in Westminster has confirmed.

Nigel Dodds, re-elected as North Belfast MP, said that among their preconditions would be an insistence that there was no separate deal that would effectively keep the region with one foot still inside the EU.

The DUP fears that special status after Brexit – a key demand of Sinn Féin – would de-couple Northern Ireland from the rest of the UK.

The party will return to the House of Commons with 10 seats and in all likelihood will only support a Tory administration, Dodds said.

Fucking hell. 

They're opposed to Corbyn on the whole Irish Republican thing by the sounds of it.

This is getting stupid now. I keep coming back to how fucking stupid Scottish Labour and the SNP have been here though...

Edited by Rayvin

Just now, Alex said:

Is it possible Sinn Fein would reconsider their abstentionist stance in light of this?

They've ruled it out. "Snowball's chance in hell"

Just now, Alex said:

Is it possible Sinn Fein would reconsider their abstentionist stance in light of this?

I think they've already ruled it out. The fucking idiots. Don't run for something if you're not going to do the job you've been elected to.

2 hours ago, ewerk said:

If May decides to go, which surely she has to, then it's going to have to be a soft Brexiter that takes over. That rules out the likes of Johnson and Davis. Rudd is too vulnerable in her constituency to risk making leader so who does that leave us with?

It has to be soft Brexit now, or a second EU referendum. 

Only managed 3 hours sleep, dunno if it's the adrenaline or the all caffeine. But what a result man! 

Just now, ewerk said:

I think they've already ruled it out. The fucking idiots. Don't run for something if you're not going to do the job you've been elected to.

I knew they'd ruled it out last night but I wondered if this might change things. Seems fucking ridiculous given the DUP's stance over Brexit.

2 hours ago, Rayvin said:

May staying on is the ideal scenario... I think. She'll carry the damaged credibility of the Tories with her and lower the risk of a Tory revival in another election.

She can't survive this. The tories are way too ruthless for that 

1 minute ago, Dr Gloom said:

She can't survive this. The tories are way too ruthless for that 

She's off to form a government man, she's clearly going to survive it in the short term.

1 minute ago, Rayvin said:

I have taken almost no interest in the DUP whatsoever for the entirely of my political life, and in the space of 10 minutes, I now hate them :lol: 

Now you know what we've been dealing with for years.

1 hour ago, Renton said:

It's much more complex than that though, because of the collapse of UKIP and SNP. For instance, even under the disastrous tenure of Foot, labour won 36.9% of the popular vote. If Brexit is genuinely threatened then a revival of UKip is possible. We're in uncharted territory. 

Its a return to two party politics, wonder whether we'll see that again in the next election 

2 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Now you know what we've been dealing with for years.

They sound worse than the Tories, if that's even possible. Obviously without the same clout, but still.

8 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

She's off to form a government man, she's clearly going to survive it in the short term.

just catching up with events since I passed out for a couple of hours but she's toast man, she can't survive this or govern with this majority. This is going to expose all the divisions in her own party over Brexit again. 

Just now, Dr Gloom said:

just catching up with events since I passed out for a couple of hours but she's toast man, she can't survive this or govern with this majority. This is going to expose all the divisions in her own party over Brexit again. 

I would also like to think a pact with the DUP will see them slaughtered given the DUP's stance on lots of issues. Who knows though?