2017 GE 1

Kevin Carr's Gloves

:lol:

What a fucking paper that is, man. Parody wouldn't do them justice.

"Newspaper Of The Year" ffs

How is anyone supposed to stand a chance against the tories with the press rallying around them like that. 

This country is fucked. 

Edited by Bizza

John McDonnell questioned whether Teresa May would reject that notion on the news this morning. Corbyn should be hammering her on that headline and her u turn at PMQs this afternoon.

May has confirmed that she won't take part in any televised debates with opposing party leaders, presumably because shes not very good at it and shes not keen on the idea of this being a contest.

I don't understand this really, how can one simultaneously be so arrogant and so cowardly at the same time?

She's putting out parliamentary opposition to her brexit plan as the reason for calling this election, though I think only really the Lib Dems are digging their heels in on it? That's the Lib Dems who have 9 MPs.

How our jug eared friend hasn't caved is beyond me. He's showing incredible restraint here, not posting when he must be gagging to try to wind us all up.

He'll need to stop his furious masturbatory marathon to type. She's been on telly this morning you can't expect it any time soon.

May has confirmed that she won't take part in any televised debates with opposing party leaders, presumably because shes not very good at it and shes not keen on the idea of this being a contest.

I don't understand this really, how can one simultaneously be so arrogant and so cowardly at the same time?

She's putting out parliamentary opposition to her brexit plan as the reason for calling this election, though I think only really the Lib Dems are digging their heels in on it? That's the Lib Dems who have 9 MPs.

Even then they're not exactly anti brexit, as they too don't want to suppress the will of the people or whatever - there just anti hard brexit. Which is fair enough because the leave campaign was never fought on hard brexit terms. I don't know what happened to all the talk of single market access and the Norwegian model. It went the same way as the weekly millions in savings we could redirect to the NHS

I think realistically the Norwegian model was a hard sell because it would actually have meant no difference whatsoever apart from that we'd have looked like fucking idiots. Hard Brexit allows us to look a little less like fucking idiots (as we're actually getting some manner of discernible difference) at the cost of making us look delusional. But either way, I suspect the Tories realised that the country had been made fools of in the referendum and that they needed to choose the least bad option in terms of how people would view them.

The Greens have come out with the right approach:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/apr/19/greens-urge-labour-and-lib-dems-to-form-electoral-pact-to-defeat-tories

A progressive alliance wherein they, Labour and the Libs don't contest each other's seats. I'm sure it'll be thrown out by Labour but it fucking shouldn't be.

I think realistically the Norwegian model was a hard sell because it would actually have meant no difference whatsoever apart from that we'd have looked like fucking idiots. Hard Brexit allows us to look a little less like fucking idiots (as we're actually getting some manner of discernible difference) at the cost of making us look delusional. But either way, I suspect the Tories realised that the country had been made fools of in the referendum and that they needed to choose the least bad option in terms of how people would view them.

the leave campaign wasn't won and fought on the idea of a hard brexit though, was it? 

No it wasn't, but the Tories would have looked incredibly foolish if soft Brexit was what they delivered to us. Nothing would have changed except we'd have lost power and influence.

Now, you and I are prepared to accept that because we know the alternative is worse, and that this was all crazy. But the Tories know that this would be a) something that even the stupid people would be able to see through and b ) that there would be no one they could blame but themselves, thus destroying their 'competent governing' image.

So they're going hardline because the party is more important than the country.

EDIT - There absolutely is a case to be made for soft Brexit IMO. The Tories can't make it, but everyone else can and should. And they should hold up the Tories as the model of government, party politics led incompetence, while they do it.

Edited by Rayvin

The Greens have come out with the right approach:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/apr/19/greens-urge-labour-and-lib-dems-to-form-electoral-pact-to-defeat-tories

A progressive alliance wherein they, Labour and the Libs don't contest each other's seats. I'm sure it'll be thrown out by Labour but it fucking shouldn't be.

Agreed. Tim Farron on five live this morning saying that they'd have another referendum when the Brexit deal were about to start negotiations on has been made public. Not keen on referendums myself but that's a vote wimner for anyone who wants to stay in the EU....

This idea it's about brexit is bollocks.

40% of tory voters voted remain, the idea they won't vote Tory at a GE is ridiculous. This applies to other parties as well.

You think so? This is a tough one, the downsides of leaving the EU are so much more real than the usual vague promises and soundbite shit that politicians in this country normally serve up. The Remain Tories won't vote Labour but they just fucking might vote Liberal.

Labour have no path to power here so they can't be that worried about Corbyn getting in - they just need to dismantle May's majority, that's all it'll take for a better outcome to be realised.

I genuinely think there's a win in here if the centre left can get the narrative right, but they need to unify for it to work.

voters will naturally lean towards their tribal party, but this is unquestionably a single issue election. it's a second eu referendum in all but name - the first single-issue election since ted heath asked voters to choose between him and the trade unions in 74.  

she'll be hoping for a large majority to free her from the trouble-making hard right tory backbenchers and to deliver her vision for brexit, which we must hope is softer than it has seemed the past few months (she did campaign for remain after all so there must be some hope there). 

Most people will vote how they always vote in GEs. Those who do float will decide on the usual basis - I think the majority of people see brexit as decided with no backsies.

Most people will vote how they always vote in GEs. Those who do float will decide on the usual basis - I think the majority of people see brexit as decided with no backsies.

Possibly true but as mentioned, the Liberals are poised to take about 25 seats straight back from the Tories after last time out. So May has to be counting on taking seats off Labour. If what you say is true, that'll be challenging. I can't quite see the north voting Tory in numbers that will throw core Labour seats out, but who knows these days. Labour will lose out to UKIP if anyone, but fortunately they look totally wrong footed by this.

I think we can safely rely on the SNP to take literally every seat in Scotland.

EDIT - also not a case of reversing Brexit. It's about making it non-suicidal.

Edited by Rayvin