SJW Snowflakes

adios

Well you can hate men. Just don't expect it to play out well. I don't know if anyone caught it but it was refreshing to see a sensible take on the whole issue from Jeanette Winterson when she recently gave the David Dimbleby Lecture. Probably still on iPlayer.

3 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

that's a dreadful op-ed. imagine the uproar if a man had written it about women. i'm amazed the WP published it - pure clickbait.

I'm struggling to see how it isn't hate speech. Is it? Or do we just accept that hate speech can only work from the 'powerful' to the 'oppressed'.

I'm staggered that the Washington Post published it also - they're giving a platform to people who sound like Tommy Robinson, but with a different target.

Edited by Rayvin

4 minutes ago, Alex said:

Well you can hate men. Just don't expect it to play out well. I don't know if anyone caught it but it was refreshing to see a sensible take on the whole issue from Jeanette Winterson when she recently gave the David Dimbleby Lecture. Probably still on iPlayer.

I didn't - any chance of a basic summary of her position? I can't get iPlayer thanks to TV licensing ;)

7 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I didn't - any chance of a basic summary of her position? I can't get iPlayer thanks to TV licensing ;)

The title, "Don't protect me, respect me" sums it up. Obviously there was more to it than that but she pointed out the dangers of a world where men and women can't even flirt and so on against the backdrop of recent global campaigns. I would imagine it's made its way to youtube. I think iPlayer only have stuff like that available for 30 days or so anyway.

Edit: It's the Richard Dimbleby Lecture (introduced by his son David).

Edited by Alex

2 minutes ago, Alex said:

The title, "Don't protect me, respect me" sums it up. Obviously there was more to it than that but she pointed out the dangers of a world where men and women can't even flirt and so on against the backdrop of recent global campaigns. I would imagine it's made its way to youtube. I think iPlayer only have stuff like that available for 30 days or so anyway.

Ok I'll give it a look but yeah, that seems a sensible position. So obviously, we're going to go for the non-sensible option as a society.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

Im just thinking of the scene from In Bruges now "Its an inanimate fucking object!"

I read that, came upon this,

Xavier Brice, at Sustrans, believes city planners are to blame. “Fifty-one per cent of the UK population is female, yet most of our cities are failing to design roads and streets for women to cycle,”

and thought, “ Ah, here’s the bit where fucking Xavier explains how to make a fucking cycle lane more woman-friendly”. 

Nope. Still in the dark. 

Provision for cyclists generally isn't good enough. That's it. To make a gender issue out of it just belittles genuine issues

29 minutes ago, Alex said:

Provision for cyclists generally isn't good enough. That's it. To make a gender issue out of it just belittles genuine issues

Aye. 

Xavier needs to calm his tits. 

:whistle:

• Haha 1

On 01/05/2018 at 15:20, Rayvin said:

It's the Kekistani national flag...

In a nutshell, it's the symbol of a nationality that was devised by internet shitposters in order to poke fun at an ideology that assigns victimhood to minorities after Sargon noticed that shitposters themselves could technically fit the definition of their own ethnic group by UK government policy. The word "kek" comes from World of Warcraft where it was used instead of "lol". I'm not really sure how it became mainstream internet lingo but that's what I read. It's also an Egyptian god though, so I guess it's a crossover from the two.

It's fair to say that there are no adults left in the room in the culture war.

Kekistan sounds like a nation of underpants manufacturers.

4 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

I read that, came upon this,

Xavier Brice, at Sustrans, believes city planners are to blame. “Fifty-one per cent of the UK population is female, yet most of our cities are failing to design roads and streets for women to cycle,”

and thought, “ Ah, here’s the bit where fucking Xavier explains how to make a fucking cycle lane more woman-friendly”. 

Nope. Still in the dark. 

It’s bloody obvious that it’s about much needed menstrual cycle lanes.

• Haha 2

There's this new Tiki bar (calm down, fist "Tiki") opened in New York. So fuck? I bet you're thinking. Anyway, Tiki culture doesn't refer to actual Polynesian culture. It's more an American take on it which first became popular in the 30's and thrived until the 50s/early 60s before more or less dying out in the 70s. It started becoming popular again in the 90s and is quite big now (although unsurprisingly there aren't many of them in Newcastle). I just like some of the drinks tbh. Anyway, on reading the article about it on Liquor.com I got to thinking that it looked like a hotel reception more than a Tiki bar. Then I got to the final paragraph and it pointed out they'd downplayed the look of the bar for fear of criticism over cultural appropriation. I mean, apart from the fact the whole movement is about that, has it really come this? Tiki bars are supposed to be OTT and kitsch. That's the point. Are people such fucking killjoys? I mean, I guess they are but it just seems so fucking ridiculous. I guess being in New York might have something to do with it

• Like 1

See also: American woman criticised on Twitter (of course) for wearing a Chinese dress:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/may/04/american-woman-qipao-china-cultural-appropriation-minorities-usa-dress

One guy in the comments under her tweet saying that she should have made the effort to learn about the cultural importance of the dress, along with talking to members of the Chinese community to gain their consent.

5 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

See also: American woman criticised on Twitter (of course) for wearing a Chinese dress:

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2018/may/04/american-woman-qipao-china-cultural-appropriation-minorities-usa-dress

One guy in the comments under her tweet saying that she should have made the effort to learn about the cultural importance of the dress, along with talking to members of the Chinese community to gain their consent.

Jesus titty-fucking wept.

Incidentally, to give you an idea of what I mean, this is a typical Tiki bar:

LZFalseIdol-15.0.JPG

And this is the one that's just opened in New York:

brian-millers-nyc-tiki-bbar-the-polynesi

1 minute ago, Monkeys Fist said:

That’s very nice and everything, but it’s not a Tiki bar. 

Whereas the top one, I could picture Fish holding forth in a Hawaiian shirt and sipping a Banana daiquiri. 

Exactly.

And :lol: