The OFFICIAL Transfer Rumours Thread 2018 -2019

Anorthernsoul

Guys it's ok, there's 6 deals subject to approval still to be announced in the league. Only question is do we have 6 players that are saleable or are some of that 6 incoming deals for other clubs?

I kinda get that there's a process we're all going through here but is it honestly conceivable that Rafa didnt know how much we had to spend at least in the past month? I doubt today has surprised him.

But who knows. Either way, he's here for now and if he sees out the season, will probably ensure we dont get relegated.

After that, we probably will have money to spend.

#optimism

6 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I kinda get that there's a process we're all going through here but is it honestly conceivable that Rafa didnt know how much we had to spend at least in the past month? I doubt today has surprised him.

But who knows. Either way, he's here for now and if he sees out the season, will probably ensure we dont get relegated.

#optimism

Which we will not, because we will still be owned by Mike Ashley.

16 outbound players. Not counting those who had no first-team future (Vuckic, Satka, Mbabu) and those who are coming back (Armstrong, Toney) that's 11 outbounds and 6 incomings. No side in the world has ever been promoted and gone "You know what would be great? To sell twice as many players as we bring in for our consolidation season." 

17 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

#optimism

You must be the most optimistic of optimists if you think that. I naively thought it would've been different this time, but they never change. 10 years and they've learned nothing, fucked up in 2009, almost fucked up in 2013 and 2015, fucked up in 2016 and now they're squandering one of the biggest opportunities we've probably had in my time, albeit a short one, of supporting this club. They've lucked out by having Benitez fall into their laps and still managed to completely fuck it up. There is no reason whatsoever not to back him, wank little Huddersfield Town have backed their boss with 4 times as much cash (net), Brighton not far behind them but we've deliberately and purposely decided that £11m is all Benitez is worth. 

I utterly despise the cunts running this club. Absolutely no point in struggling to get promoted only to make funds available to buy half of Demarai Gray. What was the point? Why were we all watching Brighton's games? Why did we bother worrying about Huddersfield's form or penchant for nicking late goals? Why did we worry? Absolutely no point or reason to continue to support this mess or the utter wankers that run it. It's just futile, if ever there was a time to back someone and see us progress it was this window, right now, and we've actively refused to compete. 

I'll still be there at the Stoke game if Rafa's here, like.

Edited by Haydnator
  • Like 1

Here's a fun exercise. 

Vurnon Anita released
Sammy Ameobi released
Yoan Gouffran released
Haris Vuckic released
Lubo Satka released
Florian Thauvin sold
Kevin Mbabu sold
Matz Sels  loaned
Adam Armstrong loaned
Daryl Murphy sold
Ivan Toney loaned
Emmanuel Riviere released
Siem De Jong sold
Grant Hanley sold

Tim Krul loaned

Achraf Lazaar loaned

Take that heap of shit and make a first XI out of it, then predict where it would finish in the Championship. Bonus points to anyone who fires up FM and actually makes that team and plays as it. 

It would be easy to say I'm not surprised that we didn't make any last gasp signings,  but I am surprised, and greatly disappointed.  I was fully expecting someone based on things Benitez said in his Press meetings. I fully expected a fruitful last ditch effort which obviously didn't happen, not even with this Kenedy who has been touted for so long.

Of course you can blame Ashley and Charnley as much as you want, but some fault has to lie with Benitez. Jesus man, he might have been looking for a goalkeeper but Chris Hughton didn't have to look too far to get Krul on loan.

I'm not at all enthused with the players that have been brought in as none of them are marquee players, or players with vast experience in top teams or leagues. LeJuene looks like he could be a winner, maybe Merino too, but I don't know about Atsu, Manquillo, Murphy, and Joselu. I hope they all put me to shame and turn out to be gems in the Premier League, and show that Benitez might have known just what he was doing.

I'm in the same boat as most others; I didn't expect 7 £20m+ signings, but I did think that someone would join us. Barnes and Charnley couldn't negotiate a deal for Southampton's 3rd choice left back ffs. I have zero experience negotiating contracts, but I think I could have made a better fist of it than these two bellends. He apparently wanted a 6 month loan deal and we wanted 12, well how about a 6 month deal with an option to extend? He says yes to that, immediately start groundwork for a left back in January. If Targett is playing every game and looks mint but doesn't want to join, well we've got 2-3 other options lined up for January. Ditto for Kenedy. Ditto for a striker. It's not fucking rocket science. These arseholes seem to think they're not operating within a time sensitive market. Like when we tired to get great deals on Sissoko et al by not signing them when we needed them, but holding off until their prices went down £1m or so. Pricks.

That said, i still think this squad is good enough under Benitez to survive. We'll get about 40pts I reckon, and there'll be clubs that people say have done better business this window who finish below us. 

If we're very much in a relegation scrap come December I think Ashley will loosen the purse strings a bit, simply to protect his investment. Not enough to mean that the following year we'll be comfortably safe, but just enough to keep us up. However, if we're in a dogfight, and if Ashley doesn't back us, that's when I see Benitez walking. And nobody could blame him. And whoever takes over, will very likely take us down.

dalewded jawdees and all that.

Caulkin is suggesting that Southampton were being difficult over Targett but the whole 6 months vs season long deal confused me. Not sure why we couldn't just accept a 6 month deal and then spend time trying to get a permanent signing sorted for January and use Targett as a stop-gap? That would suggest some common sense and long-term thinking on the part of the lads doing the deals though.

If we accept that the club simply didn't have money this summer (which, if I recall, is what HF was saying early summer) - then none of this should be a surprise. Charnley even made a statement to that effect back in May.

Realistically, we've bet everything on Rafa being able to keep us up. If we go down, we won't be as financially vulnerable (I suppose) and if we stay up, we should be in a position to kick on next year. The market may even have calmed somewhat.

Huddersfield and Brighton - firstly, I'm guessing their financial situation was different to ours. They hadn't just had to tighten their belts from being relegated, and I assume have built things up sustainably. But secondly, they've bet everything on not going down. If they do go down, I imagine that they'll be in trouble.

The real problem we'll have is that if the club makes £50m profit this year from TV deals or whatever, Ashley might pocket a substantial amount of it to pay off the loan.

9 hours ago, Rayvin said:

I do :lol:

I just think the rest of the division is so shit we'll still be fine.

Lets hope that out of the shit squads in the division, ours is at least the 4th shittest then. What a season to look forward to.