Jump to content
Anorthernsoul

The OFFICIAL Transfer Rumours Thread 2018 -2019

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Rafa leaving would be the tip of the iceberg. Lascelles would be straight out the door, Kenedy wouldn't return and we would be straight back to the Championship

 

Seems likely atm he’ll leave at the end of his contract

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While I’m not surprised I just don’t see the point in what he is doing. If he was to keep Rafa and just allow him to spend a decent amount with transparency about how much there is to spend, there would be no risk of relegation, no risk of Rafa leaving, and honestly we’d become a more marketable club etc. 

Instead he willfully risks relegation year on year and is doing his best to chase off the best thing that’s happened to the club during his disgrace of a tenure. 

 

If Rafa leaves I can see a lot of people packing it in, I think many were about there just before he took over, and to have had a manager of this calibre come in and be so willing to stay only to see him pushed out because Ashley would not spend a fucking penny it would just be a bit much for most iyam. 

 

Genuinely don’t understand why Rafa is hanging about. Ashley clearly has no intention of ever letting him spend owt. Tin pot no mark sides like Huddersfield, Brighton, and Bournemouth outspend us every year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Howay said:

Genuinely don’t understand why Rafa is hanging about. 

Because he does not walk away from a contract.  He won't sign another one, though, unless things change.  Why would he?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Howay said:

While I’m not surprised I just don’t see the point in what he is doing. If he was to keep Rafa and just allow him to spend a decent amount with transparency about how much there is to spend, there would be no risk of relegation, no risk of Rafa leaving, and honestly we’d become a more marketable club etc. 

Instead he willfully risks relegation year on year and is doing his best to chase off the best thing that’s happened to the club during his disgrace of a tenure. 

 

If Rafa leaves I can see a lot of people packing it in, I think many were about there just before he took over, and to have had a manager of this calibre come in and be so willing to stay only to see him pushed out because Ashley would not spend a fucking penny it would just be a bit much for most iyam. 

 

Genuinely don’t understand why Rafa is hanging about. Ashley clearly has no intention of ever letting him spend owt. Tin pot no mark sides like Huddersfield, Brighton, and Bournemouth outspend us every year. 

I haven't renewed, like. I only went back again when Rafa came in as I thought he'd be our only chance of making a difference to Ashley maybe changing his ways a bit through getting something in writing but obviously not. Bad craic when you'd be happy to hear someone's died but that's about where we are with this cunt tbh as he's got no intention of letting go of us unless he gets an offer way in excess of the club's worth.

Edited by Howmanheyman
  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Rafa leaving would be the tip of the iceberg. Lascelles would be straight out the door, Kenedy wouldn't return and we would be straight back to the Championship

Absolutely. All the good team spirit wiped out in one fell swoop by the Football Genius (c)

As Kitman alludes to, it's looking like Rafa staying until his current contract runs out is about as good as it'll get.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This before yesterday's game 

https://www.themag.co.uk/2018/07/a-despairing-rafa-benitez-cant-make-it-clearer-i-have-tried-to-do-my-best-but-we-will-see-later-newcastle-united/

"Mike Ashley said (on the last day of the season) every last penny was available. I don't do the numbers so I don't know exactly what that means. We are fine in terms of profit so maybe's you have to speak to Lee Charnley he has the numbers. I am doing my best in these conditions that's all I can say"

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wasn't there are rumour that there was a penalty clause in Rafa's contract if he quits.

Besides the fans it's the only plausible reason he hasn't left considering the lack of respect Ashley repeatedly shows him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've heard the clause is expired now but fuck knows if that's true or if it was ever more than a rumour anyway.

 

At the end of the day, regardless of what he get's allowed to spend, he's on a fantastic wage and he enjoys an unbelievably good rapport with the support.  That's enough to keep him here until the end of his contract but I can't see any way it could be enough to make him sign a new one. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I can’t see Rafa staying here, so probably the best thing he could do is resigning and to show up what a fraud Ashley is.

 

Rafa would probably win compensation because of constructive dismissal as well. I would love that tbh.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wouldn’t blame him at all ^ 

 

The fans know he’s being led up the garden path. Just a shame it ended up in the usual place.

Edited by zerosum

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But rafa being the bloke he is, will probably stay this season and say.. did my best everyone but can’t do it anymore. He can walk away with his head held high.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought he was very raw. If he's one for Rafa to work on and improve then by all means but he shouldn't be the striker we're relying on to score goals consistently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd definitely take him, I don't think a reliable striker is realistically something we can get tbh, they're all a bit flaky once you get down past the very top clubs. 

 

I'd definitely have Origi over any of the others we've been linked with so far this summer.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The closer it gets to the end of the window, the more appealing Rondon looks. West Bromwich fans say he's the hardest grafter in their team and a normal sound bloke, which is probably half the reason Rafa wants him.

 

This is Ashley's usual trick. Grinds down our expectations so we are happy when we buy a bang average striker no one else wants

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

The closer it gets to the end of the window, the more appealing Rondon looks. West Bromwich fans say he's the hardest grafter in their team and a normal sound bloke, which is probably half the reason Rafa wants him.

 

This is Ashley's usual trick. Grinds down our expectations so we are happy when we buy a bang average striker no one else wants

 

 

That Football365 piece (https://www.football365.com/news/newcastle-the-club-where-tomorrow-never-comes) PaddockLad just posted in another thread reckons we didn't even meet WBA's release clause which at £16m is something like the going rate for a good Championship striker. Not to mention his not even being amongst Benitez's initial list of desired striking options.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was an article the other day with Rafa explaining it doesn't matter who the manager is,  the club still needs strengthening. I think he was meaning him not signing a new contract is no excuse for Ashley not allowing the team to be strengthened.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This from Caulkin

With Aleksandar Mitrovic close to completing a £20 million move to Fulham, there is money to sign Salomón Rondón, of West Bromwich Albion, but Newcastle need more.

‘Benítez wants another five players — unlikely — but even though there will be additions, they will not be from the top of his list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, StoneColdStephenIreland said:

Is it just me or is 20 million pretty cheap for a striker with potential and who does score goals (not alot but he does score more than others) especially with the way the market is nowadays?

Yeah but the football genius didn't exactly strengthen our bargaining power by making it clear the club had to sell before it could buy

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


Recent tweets

Toontastic Facebook

Donate to Toontastic

Keeping the lights on since... well ages ago
TT-Staff


×