The OFFICIAL Transfer Rumours Thread 2018 -2019

Anorthernsoul

2 hours ago, Park Life said:

This thread needs a health warning. Rooney, Yaya, Barkley, Batshuayi.

Got to entertain ourselves somehow, everyone else's seasons are still going.

6 hours ago, The Fish said:

He's recieved praise in previous season too though, right?

Aye, but his goal scoring is almost entirely constrained to this year. 13 in his last 18 is great but it means he got 9 in he previous 49 for bournemouth.

Wouldn't want to see us spending on someone who has had a good period of form and nowt else.

Just now, Andrew said:

Aye, but his goal scoring is almost entirely constrained to this year. 13 in his last 18 is great but it means he got 9 in he previous 49 for bournemouth.

Wouldn't want to see us spending on someone who has had a good period of form and nowt else.

His stock is high at the moment, and this recent form could be indicative of his true level, or he could revert to single figure tallies for the foreseeable. Thing is, if we do pursue him, I trust Benitez to have seen something in him that suggests it's the former, rather than the latter. Under Pardew or McClaren I'd not have that confidence.

The paper talk is just that though, how many of the players we signed were known about well before the transfer happened?

17 minutes ago, Andrew said:

So Hull, Boro and Sunderland are all down.

Any quality gems in those squads we should be looking at?

Maguire from Hull, Clayton from Boro maybe? They've certainly got a couple of players each that are better than their league position

Can't think of many from Sunderland. Defoe is quality but won't come here when West Ham are interested and isn't mobile enough for Rafa's style, Pickford similarly wouldn't join us, 'keeper isn't really a priority and he'll be grossly over-priced.

8 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Robertson has always looked a good player, we could use a left back.

Mirror seem to think it's a forgone conclusion that he's signing for Liverpool. Not great defensively but certainly better than Dummett!

1 minute ago, Lackie92 said:

Mirror seem to think it's a forgone conclusion that he's signing for Liverpool. Not great defensively but certainly better than Dummett!

Mirror though innit

• Like 1

Gibson is a class defender, Clayton is an absolute workhorse but lacks a bit of pace. Nowt else worth it at boro.

Maguire at hull has been good and still quite young

Think Gibson might decide he can't afford to waste another season in the Championship at his age, especially as there's no guarantee of an instant return to the PL. Whether he would want to come here is another matter.

Theres been a whole host of teams further up the league than us that have been linked with Gibson.  Unless he has a strong desire to stay in the area I can't see us having a chance of signing him.  McGuire would appear to be a much more likely option.

Not a huge risk at that price. Still not totally convinced with him but if there's going to be plenty of outgoings then we need to retain some squad depth.

Whether he's a good signing or not depends on who else we sign.  If we sign him you'd have to assume Gouffran will be away so we need to have someone as back up for a first choice.  As long as this is the case then he won't be a bad signing.  If we end up with him and Gouffran again we will be in trouble.

58 minutes ago, StoneColdStephenIreland said:

Personally I'd rather we looked at someone else. Atsu wasnt bad by any means but he wasnt starting week in/week out in the 2nd tier with Gouf starting over him sometimes which speaks for itself, obviously I trust Rafa to know better than myself and surely if we do buy him he will be rotation at most next season I'd hope anyway because if by chance he is starting in the prem next year I'd be a BIT concerned 

Edited by 247

22 minutes ago, Anorthernsoul said:

Rodriguez from Southampton anyone?

He's not prolific by any means but he's a player I like.  The Chronicle are describing him as a winger but I wouldn't agree with that.  Maybe not an out and out striker though.

3 minutes ago, David Kelly said:

He's not prolific by any means but he's a player I like.  The Chronicle are describing him as a winger but I wouldn't agree with that.  Maybe not an out and out striker though.

He's a left forward, plays wide and cuts inside.

He's come back from a very serious injury pretty well and I've always liked him.

Be nice to have someone from my hometown in our team too :razz:

23 minutes ago, Andrew said:

He's a left forward, plays wide and cuts inside.

He's come back from a very serious injury pretty well and I've always liked him.

Be nice to have someone from my hometown in our team too :razz:

Quite an exotic name for Burnley.

4 minutes ago, Anorthernsoul said:

Quite an exotic name for Burnley.

His dad's called Kiko and isn't a Burnley native iirc, if that helps. 

Jay was absolutely ace for burnley and would've gone to the last world cup but for a bad injury at the end of the 13/14 season that ruled him out for an entire year. Seems to have built up slowly since coming back but always seems to play well when I see him.

I'd honestly love us to sign him, he'd fit in really well on our left with Ritchie on the right

19 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

Atsu's last few games for us showed promise. The worry is you turn him down, spend £6mil someowhere else and end up with an Obertan/Thauvin/Amalfitano. Atsu can provide goals and assists 

Even if he's just a squad player who can come off the bench and have a go at the opposition full back then it's absolutely fuck all in the current market. You also don't have the risk of not knowing what sort of character he is and if he's a good fit with the other squad members etc. I liked the look of him from the bits I saw of him last season fwiw. Also good to see us conducting business so early. Pre-Rafa you could imagine everyone involved in transfers going off abroad for a month once the season ended.

• Like 1