Why is the UK so low on the Press Freedoms Index?

Park Life

Was quite shocked the other week when I was working on something and had to check out some stats that the UK are only 40th in the Press Freedoms table. It's bad enough roughly 70% of the media is seen by the public as right wing or blue and the large influence of a few corporations on our access to bias free information but the actual architecture in the UK (Journalistic Freedoms) looks fucked as well. It's a fiasco...I mean how can you have democracy without freedom of the Press?

https://rsf.org/en/ranking

Edited by Park Life

looks like a load of horse shit to me. you have to question any methodology that ranks the UK below some African countries in terms of press freedom. as if. 

Just now, Dr Gloom said:

looks like a load of horse shit to me. you have to question any methodology that ranks the UK below some African countries in terms of press freedom. as if. 

We're all looking at YOU Gloom. :rolleyes:

:D

Presently away for the weekend but will give this thread full attention when possible. I know you'll all be looking forward to that.

40th is very poor it has to be said, and like Gloom, i'd be interested to know the methodology.

i've worked in africa. this smells strongly of horse shit to me. we're talking about countries where you need a fixer to avoid getting lynched by the local heavies or having your kit confiscated by the authorities - not things you have to worry about reporting in this country. 

24 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

:D

Presently away for the weekend but will give this thread full attention when possible. I know you'll all be looking forward to that.

40th is very poor it has to be said, and like Gloom, i'd be interested to know the methodology.

Go wild with it. :lol:

6 minutes ago, Park Life said:

Newspapers%20left%20right%20wing-01.png

What's most worrying about that is the 18% who don't think the Mail is right wing :lol:

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

it's true that a majority of UK papers are right leaning, but that's not what this study is arguing.

The scope of the thread will be broader than that. It was just a starting point.

Would you like changes to ownership rules?

How do you think we can change the mural for the better Gloomy?

i despise the murdoch controlled wing of the press as much as anyone, but can you really have regulation that stops people buying and controlling newspapers in order to push an editorial agenda?  if you do that it, it isn't a free press, right? it's just a shame there aren't more left wing international media barons to balance it out a bit.

Edited by Dr Gloom

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

i despise the murdoch controlled wing of the press as much as anyone, but can you have regulation that stops people buying and controlling newspaper in order to push an editorial agenda?  if you do that it isn't a free press, right? it's just a shame there aren't more left wing international media barons to balance it out a bit.

Of course you can. There's not the will in government to do it though.

2 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

http://www.computerworlduk.com/security/draft-investigatory-powers-bill-what-you-need-know-3629116/

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/oct/28/uk-police-terrorism-act-newsnight-journalist-secunder-kermani-laptop

https://www.theguardian.com/world/video/2014/jan/31/snowden-files-computer-destroyed-guardian-gchq-basement-video

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2013/aug/19/detention-david-miranda-keith-vaz-glenn-greenwald

Have any African countries formalised into law the right of the state to hack into citizens private IT communications?

We're talking about banana republics, why would they bother paying their people the courtesy of enshrining it in law? At least we know we're being snooped on :lol:

having worked as a journalist in Africa and the U.K, I can tell you that in my experience, that study looks like complete bollocks. 

4 hours ago, Dr Gloom said:

i despise the murdoch controlled wing of the press as much as anyone, but can you really have regulation that stops people buying and controlling newspapers in order to push an editorial agenda?  if you do that it, it isn't a free press, right? it's just a shame there aren't more left wing international media barons to balance it out a bit.

You can stop people owning more than x% of the total reader/viewership.  That's not pushing an editorial agenda, though I fear we'd end up in much the same place.

The BBC is meant to be the counterbalance. That seems to be the idea. Impartiality for the common good. It has huge reach and an international footprint. I mean media barons and multi-nationals are buying influence and an ability to set the agenda. To navigate a conversation towards a goal. We know the media can be a huge force for good and catastrophic also. Much of the Iraq war was media driven, Brexit, Austerity.

Edited by Park Life

1 hour ago, adios said:

You can stop people owning more than x% of the total reader/viewership.  That's not pushing an editorial agenda, though I fear we'd end up in much the same place.

Just 3 companies own 71% of the newspaper market.  News UK  (Sun and Times), DMGT, Trinity Mirror.

Was it? Really? The things you list were facilitated to an extent by the media, they were obviously reported on and certain commentators would support them, but Iraq 2 was driven by the US thirst for oil. Austerity was a long held ideological Tory desire. They were itching for an excuse, and finally found one with the 2008 financial crisis, to slash the state. Is the media responsible for the politicians the people elect?