Why is the UK so low on the Press Freedoms Index?

Park Life

1 minute ago, Park Life said:

Just 3 companies own 71% of the newspaper market.  News UK  (Sun and Times), DMGT, Trinity Mirror.

Newspapers are dying anyway man. They won't matter in 10-20 years.

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

Newspapers are dying anyway man. They won't matter in 10-20 years.

Won't they just migrate onto digital platforms?

I have a gander at sites like this more and more these days. More news page reads than the Spectator or the New Statesman apparently.

https://www.thecanary.co/section/opinion/

Edited by Park Life

All newspapers are haemorraging money. Back in the day a national daily could charge half a million quid for a page ad. Those days are long gone. Online advertising hasn't come close to filling the gap. The subscription model doesn't work in most cases because people don't want to pay for online content. The business model is fucked. The guardian have resorted to begging ffs

Why don't UNITE  and UNISON get together and launch their own daily or weekly newspaper? Two and a half million members between them. Always wondered why rich unions don't foray into a proper news presence. Something that is primarily for their members would also be of interest to the broad left I'd imagine.

http://www.unitetheunion.org/app/

1 hour ago, ewerk said:

They already have the Morning Star. And your theory of it being of interest to anyone else doesn't hold true.

I'm not talking about a 'Morning Star' Something with a broader appeal. The MS is old fashioned and has a terrible brand with reg to association with the CPGB.

Bring me solutions fucker.

Isn't going to make the membership read it though. Look at the voter turnout for the Unite leadership election for an idea of how much of a shit the rank and file really give.