Club Takeover // SSN Breaking

Anorthernsoul

After 10 years of Ashley  there's very little we should fear the club will never push on under him. We all know what he wants it for to promote SD? Shirley this must be good news there's 2 Chinese guys mentioned over on NO if either of them are behind this they are far wealthier than Ashley. Let them have ago let them bank roll the club. The alternative is another10 years of Ashley & the ìnevitability that'll he'll piss Rafa  off we know the script under Ashley.    :nufc:  Howay the Rads :nufc:

Apparently it's Wang Jianlin who is worth over $30 billion and owns 20% of Atletico Madrid.  Just when it seems Ashley is starting to figure it out. Don't know if I like the look of this. 

Thing is, you can almost bet Ashley will sell at anytime if the price is right for him. Money always talks, and let's face it, there will always be a leery feeling about any possible buyer even if they are rolling in the billions.

One thing is for sure, if anything does happen only the most ignorant "supporters" will go into a new dawn with the wide-eyed optimism that many of us had (to varying degrees) when learning of Ashley's purchase.

10 hours ago, trooper said:

Could this we the end of Ashwee

It had better be the fucking end of calling him that. ;)

It's a coin flip for me as to whether or not this would be a good thing; positively meh.

I'm more interested in why either party has decided to leak this?

Luke Edwards take on things:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2017/06/12/mike-ashley-ready-sell-share-newcastle-united-manager-rafael/

Mike Ashley, the Newcastle United owner, told manager Rafael Benítez that he had been approached by consortiums looking to buy the club when they met last month.

Telegraph Sport understands that conversations with investors are ongoing and that Ashley is more open to selling a share of the business, as he does not believe anyone is willing to match the £400 million asking price needed to complete a full takeover.

Ashley is still considering the various offers that have been made, but will want proof of funds before he enters into serious discussions and is wary of time wasters.

Telegraph Sport revealed last year that Chinese investors had shown an interest in buying the club and that has not gone away. Renewed attempts have been made since the club were promoted back to the Premier League in May and it has been enough to tempt Ashley to do some sort of deal.

A source close to the discussions said: “There has been interest from China for a long time now. It has not got very far in the past, but neither has it gone away.”

Benítez is well aware of the situation and is said to be relaxed about the negotiations as he has been assured they will have no impact on his ability to sign players this summer.

In fact, if the additional investment is brought in by Ashley in the next few weeks, it could even boost his spending power over the next two transfer windows.

The fact that Ashley told Benítez about the interest at the end of last season, when he assured him he would be given the financial backing he needs to rebuild the squad this summer, suggests the sport shop billionaire is taking the approaches more seriously than before.

Ashley issued a statement three years ago insisting he would not sell “for any price”. He added that he would only part company with a club he bought for around £180 million in 2007 if they won a major trophy or qualified for the Champions League.

However, the amount of interest shown in Newcastle – which has come from several foreign consortiums – has turned Ashey’s head.

In turn, Telegraph Sport understands he would be happy to share the responsibility of running the club, in return for the sort of significant investment that would greatly strengthen their player recruitment power.

Anyone going into partnership with Ashley is going to learn very quickly that it's a mistake. I can't see anything other than a full takeover being beneficial to us.

41 minutes ago, Kid Dynamite said:

As lovely as it would be for a Chinese billionaire to have a minority stake in the club and to chuck millions at transfers I'm not sure where the benefit for would be for him?

Very good question.

9 hours ago, trooper said:

After 10 years of Ashley  there's very little we should fear

That is very VERY untrue.

For every abramovich/mansoor there are a dozen Oystons, Cellinos (I could just make this list out of leeds owners tbh) Dr Tonys or Vincent Tans.

2 hours ago, ewerk said:

Anyone going into partnership with Ashley is going to learn very quickly that it's a mistake. I can't see anything other than a full takeover being beneficial to us.

If the investors want to be part of the Premier League brand and are happy to take a slice of that pie (and the marketing opportunities) in exchange for a bit of investment, I don't have a huge problem with it. I worry about a full takeover purely because we've not seen any benefit on the pitch from a billionaire owner thus far, and we've seen how inexperienced owners can spectacularly fail regardless of their cash reserves.

If it gives us a little more cash we might strengthen us in pursuit of out fairly modest goals, without gambling our future on unknowns who don't have experience owning a Premier League club?

Personally I'd prefer a slow transition of full ownership; Chinese consortium buy a decent share and invest some money now. A year or so later they increase their share, and so on until Ashley gets his valuation of the club from them and he fucks off to buy Rangers or whatever.

Why would anyone buy part of a club and then put their own money into the team unless Ashley was prepared to do the same? And in all Ashley's time here were haven't seen him put a penny into player recruitment.

Edited by ewerk

2 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Why would anyone buy part of a club and then put their own money into the team unless Ashley was prepared to do the same? And in all Ashley's time here were haven't seen him put a penny into player recruitment.

If they see that full ownership is on the horizon, doesn't it benefit them to support the club's ambition with their investment? 

Like if you're on that government first time buyer scheme, it makes sense for you to spend a bit doing it up as you move towards full ownership? :dunno: 

Just now, The Fish said:

If they see that full ownership is on the horizon, doesn't it benefit them to support the club's ambition with their investment? 

Like if you're on that government first time buyer scheme, it makes sense for you to spend a bit doing it up as you move towards full ownership? :dunno: 

Unless there's a set price then it makes no sense. If a minority partner were to put in £100m into players then what we would likely see is improved team performances and league finishes. But at the same time that increases the value of Ashley's shares therefore making it more expensive for the minority shareholder to complete a full takeover. I'd be surprised if there were any examples of minority shareholders invested extra cash into football clubs without all other shareholders doing the same.

2 hours ago, ewerk said:

If it is Wang, has he actually put any money into Athletico?

The first thing that crosses my mind is if it is the man in Madrid does he have his eyes on our manager?.. Rafa and his family seem settled in England tbf..

4 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

The first thing that crosses my mind is if it is the man in Madrid does he have his eyes on our manager?.. Rafa and his family seem settled in England tbf..

There's cheaper ways to hire managers than buying the club they're currently at.

25 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Unless there's a set price then it makes no sense. If a minority partner were to put in £100m into players then what we would likely see is improved team performances and league finishes. But at the same time that increases the value of Ashley's shares therefore making it more expensive for the minority shareholder to complete a full takeover. I'd be surprised if there were any examples of minority shareholders invested extra cash into football clubs without all other shareholders doing the same.

Makes sense, I just can't get past the disastrous neophyte owners legacy. 

Ashley was a terrible owner to begin with and he's only just learned to let football men run Newcastle United as a football club, rather than a merchandising vehicle for tat.

Wang stated reasons for investing in Madrid:

"This investment will not only provide a golden opportunity for young Chinese players sent overseas by Wanda to be selected by leading European football clubs," Mr Wang said in a statement.

"It will also strengthen the quality of Chinese football and narrow the gap between the rest of the world."

But in reality it sounds more like a pure investment opportunity given lack of value available at home.

He heads China's biggest property company Dalian Wanda, which has been buying up big foreign brands amid a weak domestic real estate market.

This includes US cinema chain AMC and luxury British yachtmaker Sunseeker.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-30910664

To me I don't see any value for the club in such a move.  If Ashley is selling a stake then he takes the money.  If Ashley and an investor then decide to pump some funding into the club, then, like Ewerk says, they have to do it on equal terms.  But Ashley is unequivocal that he's not putting money in.

There might be an agreement that the investment is spent on the squad and that Ashley is owed the balance when either he or the investor departs.  It would be a way for Ashley to share some risk and assure some return if the investment doesn't yield increased value for the club.

Personally, my assumption is it's as much bollocks as it was in 2009. We're 5 players down on the championship squad with no-one in.  Rafa's being spun a yarn on investment to keep him hanging on until the season ticket renewals are all in.

1 hour ago, Dr Gloom said:

oh, great. we've had a wang running the club for ten years and now we're set for another one. 

Well it's Wang for the money

Two for the show....