VR headsets

Howmanheyman

Anyone had a go or own one of these? Bought one primarily for the youngest daughter's birthday but obviously we all had a go. It's the Sony VR headset and I couldn't believe the technology tbh. Had a go at a shark cage game which was great but the next two games was a VR addition to her star wars game plus a halo type game which knocked me nauseous. I've never been one for travel sickness but can only think this is what it was as my mind was tricked into moving fast whilst sitting on a static settee, I played both the latter games a day apart and was sound before I put the headset on. Anyway, amazing technology if you can take it, ( @Dr Gloom surely has one!) ;)

I've tried them out loads for work but I'm not really into video games. That's their future in the short term as far as I see it. The technology is very impressive but I'm not convinced they're going to go mainstream just yet - what's the killer app outside gaming?

Seems a bizarre way to experience a film, you'd surely end up missing loads of the action if you were looking in the wrong place. Also, the thought of us all sat around plugged into them 24/7 is a bit depressing - it's already going that way with our smartphone addictions.

Edited by Dr Gloom

They're cool and very fun, a great novelty, some of the games coming out for them are really clever.

Long term I see them going the same way as something like a full steering wheel/pedal setup (they actually work brilliantly in conjunction tbh) as a niche peripheral rather than the main way anyone experiences...anything.

Gaming wise you'll always have the space issue and for more passive experiences like film they aren't better than a screen.

I'm going to get the full VR treadmill setup when they're properly available with the kinks worked out.  

If you're going to look like a prick, you might as well go the whole hog.

• Like 1

Mate from work has one and watched the Champions League final on it. He said the quality from BT wasn't that great, but I suppose it's something you'd expect to improve over time. 

Bought one off eBay for £20 last year. Certainly brought a different perspective to watching filth but the novelty wore off after a few weeks

id imagine one of the proper pieces of kit would be a different level though