Grenfell tower tragedy

Dr Gloom

Like a paedo being smuggled out of court ffs

On a separate note, I love how the Prime Ministers personal protection is one fat, bald Harry Hill lookalike telling people to move like a mardy school teacher breaking up a playground fight :lol:

Compare it with Trump

55D6F34C-5553-4A20-9E41-3CE761684191_zps

I've got time for lily Allen's activism generally and all the time in the world for Akala, but this stuff about the media suppressing the number of deaths is not helping their cause.

There's righteous indignation in all stratas of society over everything to do with the fire and the failures at every level from contractors to prime minister. It's a tragedy that has encapsulated the anger that was already felt before and has amplified it.

There's a movement that's sprung up with broad support and they're at risk of tainting the whole endeavour as a conspiracy theory with a claim like that. The facts are horrific enough. No need to trump it with baseless stuff.

What exactly is it that people think rioting will achieve at this point?

The whole thing is tragic but we're after the fact now and May does appear to be putting money aside for it. Obviously there are failings leading up to this, but no one can change those now.

People are fucking furious man. They want answers and may isn't delivering them. She's on her knees - did you see that shambolic newsnight interview? Completely failing to show any human or compassionate side, totally misreading the public mood. She can't cling on for much longer. Social unrest is on the cards if something doesn't change quickly 

May is absolutely hopeless at leading the country it seems. And no, hadn't seen that. I assumed that the government had actually acted properly following all of this.

7 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

May is absolutely hopeless at leading the country it seems. And no, hadn't seen that. I assumed that the government had actually acted properly following all of this.

:lol:

oh

youre serious

Maybot algorithm for any difficult question:

"what we need to do is to [segue into this scripted pre-prepared answer]

maybot algorithm for any difficult encounter

"abort mission, find the nearest rear exit"

Well, the Daily Mail crowd are coming up with comments that are too heartless for me to repeat, so I would say that May has some support in certain places. The issue appears to be becoming politicised.

Edited by Rayvin

"Politicised"  in this sense basically just means that we want the people responsible to be held to account and some people think this is a bad thing.

Corbyn told them ages ago & the Tories voted against making rented properties "safe for human habitation".

11 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

It is being politicised. It's inescapable. What was the vibe on the daily hate comments section. Do share

I think they've sensed that it's becoming a political issue so are standing on the side that doesn't lead to Corbyn. That's being generous to them.

Otherwise we're talking about thousands of up votes for people stating that these individuals were very fortunate to have been living at the expense of the tax payer and should be grateful for whatever homes they end up in. That people would not have been rioting during the blitz, etc. Just a poor showing for human decency, as ever.

16 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

I think they've sensed that it's becoming a political issue so are standing on the side that doesn't lead to Corbyn. That's being generous to them.

Otherwise we're talking about thousands of up votes for people stating that these individuals were very fortunate to have been living at the expense of the tax payer and should be grateful for whatever homes they end up in. That people would not have been rioting during the blitz, etc. Just a poor showing for human decency, as ever.

Daily Heil commenters are utter cunts. 

I can see a riot happening like. Hot weather, long days, and fucking Tories leading the country with a minority government. The demographic makeup of Kensington is horrific, look at the difference between mean and median salaries. Proper gated communities and favela stuff. This is the future of the UK if we don't change direction. 

• Like 2

Dear Prime Minister,

I am writing to note your decision to hold a full and independent public inquiry into the fire at Grenfell Tower and to seek your assurance that the inquiry you establish will be held under the provisions of the 2005 Inquiries Act.

On the assumption that it is your intention to establish a 2005 Act Inquiry, I want to share my view that it is vital that the Terms of Reference be drawn with sufficient scope for the inquiry to establish all the relevant facts and to ensure that all necessary lessons are learned. Whilst the inquiry should be limited to the awful events at Grenfell Tower, it must be empowered to consider all the steps that were, or were not, taken leading up to and contributing to this most terrible incident. It must also identify the urgent steps that need to be taken in relation to fire safety standards for other buildings of this nature.

In addition to finding facts, the inquiry must be empowered to make recommendations for the avoidance of any similar future disaster – and in so doing, to consider recommendations arising from previous similar fire-related deaths.

It is very important that the Terms of Reference are drawn with sufficient scope to require the participation of all those with a legitimate interest – this should undoubtedly include the bereaved families, survivors and also individuals and organisations with a legitimate interest such as the residents’ campaign and representative organisations who were involved in the period leading up to these events. Their views and experiences are as important, if not more so, as the expert opinions of state actors and their service providing contractors.

I am also very concerned to ensure that this public inquiry is not used to delay any parallel actions which might be taken by interested parties. It is important that justice is served in as comprehensive and timely way possible. This must include, of course, ensuring that legal funding is available to support those involved in the inquiry and any inquests.  I would also like to support the request of the Mayor of London for an interim report to be produced which I believe is important for the community to feel as if justice is being done in a timely manner.

Whilst I believe that the policies and priorities of your government in the arenas of social housing and public safety are legitimate targets for my criticism, I hope we both share a determination to discover the truths underpinning this tragedy so to avoid any repetition.  For these reasons, in support of my hope to publicly welcome your decision, I would appreciate early consultation on your government’s proposed inquiry Terms of Reference.

In response to my question yesterday, the Minister of State for Policing and the Fire Service made it very clear that survivors made homeless would be appropriately and locally rehoused. This is imperative in order that they be enabled to re-build their lives and have some hope of recovery from these devastating events. It now appears that the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea may not be as committed to ensuring that all are re-housed locally. Your public re-commitment to this is imperative as part of an unequivocal, wider statement that the government will do all it can to provide timely practical support to those who have suffered so much. In this context, I note the announcement of the first government investment of £5million. Given the magnitude and scale of the crisis, this will clearly not be sufficient and I therefore await information regarding further funding plans.

On a related matter, I believe that an attitude of generosity and compassion in relation to the costs of funeral expenses and ensuring that it is possible for families living outside the UK to travel here to attend funerals, as well as participate in the inquiry, is also warranted in such a tragic situation. This is particularly the case given the circumstances of many of the Grenfell Tower residents, including the number of bereaved families who may be resident overseas and the costs of burial and cremation. As was also raised at yesterday’s brief discussion in the Grand Committee, I would expect that the Home Office guarantees the replacement, as a matter of urgent priority, of all documentation for those affected.

Finally, on behalf of all those in the Labour Party, may I express our admiration for those in the emergency services who responded with the utmost courage and professionalism and share our deepest sorrow at these harrowing events – and commit that we will do all in our power to ensure that this be the last such tragedy of its kind in our country.

Yours sincerely,

Jeremy Corbyn

http://press.labour.org.uk/post/161902133969/jeremy-corbyn-letter-to-the-prime-minister

Edited by Park Life

10 minutes ago, Renton said:

I can see a riot happening like. Hot weather, long days, and fucking Tories leading the country with a minority government. The demographic makeup of Kensington is horrific, look at the difference between mean and median salaries. Proper gated communities and favela stuff. This is the future of the UK if we don't change direction. /JG Ballard

:nufc:

Edited by Park Life

25 minutes ago, Renton said:

I can see a riot happening like. Hot weather, long days, and fucking Tories leading the country with a minority government. The demographic makeup of Kensington is horrific, look at the difference between mean and median salaries. Proper gated communities and favela stuff. This is the future of the UK if we don't change direction. 

Yep.

1 hour ago, Park Life said:

Dear Prime Minister,

I am writing to note your decision to hold a full and independent public inquiry into the fire at Grenfell Tower and to seek your assurance that the inquiry you establish will be held under the provisions of the 2005 Inquiries Act.

On the assumption that it is your intention to establish a 2005 Act Inquiry, I want to share my view that it is vital that the Terms of Reference be drawn with sufficient scope for the inquiry to establish all the relevant facts and to ensure that all necessary lessons are learned. Whilst the inquiry should be limited to the awful events at Grenfell Tower, it must be empowered to consider all the steps that were, or were not, taken leading up to and contributing to this most terrible incident. It must also identify the urgent steps that need to be taken in relation to fire safety standards for other buildings of this nature.

In addition to finding facts, the inquiry must be empowered to make recommendations for the avoidance of any similar future disaster – and in so doing, to consider recommendations arising from previous similar fire-related deaths.

It is very important that the Terms of Reference are drawn with sufficient scope to require the participation of all those with a legitimate interest – this should undoubtedly include the bereaved families, survivors and also individuals and organisations with a legitimate interest such as the residents’ campaign and representative organisations who were involved in the period leading up to these events. Their views and experiences are as important, if not more so, as the expert opinions of state actors and their service providing contractors.

I am also very concerned to ensure that this public inquiry is not used to delay any parallel actions which might be taken by interested parties. It is important that justice is served in as comprehensive and timely way possible. This must include, of course, ensuring that legal funding is available to support those involved in the inquiry and any inquests.  I would also like to support the request of the Mayor of London for an interim report to be produced which I believe is important for the community to feel as if justice is being done in a timely manner.

Whilst I believe that the policies and priorities of your government in the arenas of social housing and public safety are legitimate targets for my criticism, I hope we both share a determination to discover the truths underpinning this tragedy so to avoid any repetition.  For these reasons, in support of my hope to publicly welcome your decision, I would appreciate early consultation on your government’s proposed inquiry Terms of Reference.

In response to my question yesterday, the Minister of State for Policing and the Fire Service made it very clear that survivors made homeless would be appropriately and locally rehoused. This is imperative in order that they be enabled to re-build their lives and have some hope of recovery from these devastating events. It now appears that the Royal Borough of Kensington and Chelsea may not be as committed to ensuring that all are re-housed locally. Your public re-commitment to this is imperative as part of an unequivocal, wider statement that the government will do all it can to provide timely practical support to those who have suffered so much. In this context, I note the announcement of the first government investment of £5million. Given the magnitude and scale of the crisis, this will clearly not be sufficient and I therefore await information regarding further funding plans.

On a related matter, I believe that an attitude of generosity and compassion in relation to the costs of funeral expenses and ensuring that it is possible for families living outside the UK to travel here to attend funerals, as well as participate in the inquiry, is also warranted in such a tragic situation. This is particularly the case given the circumstances of many of the Grenfell Tower residents, including the number of bereaved families who may be resident overseas and the costs of burial and cremation. As was also raised at yesterday’s brief discussion in the Grand Committee, I would expect that the Home Office guarantees the replacement, as a matter of urgent priority, of all documentation for those affected.

Finally, on behalf of all those in the Labour Party, may I express our admiration for those in the emergency services who responded with the utmost courage and professionalism and share our deepest sorrow at these harrowing events – and commit that we will do all in our power to ensure that this be the last such tragedy of its kind in our country.

Yours sincerely,

Jeremy Corbyn

http://press.labour.org.uk/post/161902133969/jeremy-corbyn-letter-to-the-prime-minister

Dear Jeremy 

Thank you for your letter and I'd like to assure you I will do my utmost to ignore the points you raised in it. 

Meanwhile, I want to remind you that I and my talent are getting on with the job of provideing a strong and stable government whilst we negotiate a good deal for rich folks on Brexit. 

Fuck the NHS

Theresa May 

38 minutes ago, Renton said:

The maybot needs rebooting. Turn it off and on again. Actually, on second thoughts, just turn it off. 

They need to put her in the bin and get another Tory MP who can handle themselves with a bit of common sense and decency. A Boris Johnson, for instance.

Government ministers congratulated themselves for cutting fire regulations.

in a related article it says the cladding was applied to "improve the view from the surrounding area, primarily the luxury flats nearby."

Let that sink in.

Now consider another 30k buildings around the country have been clad in similar material.

http://metro.co.uk/2017/06/16/government-ministers-congratulated-themselves-for-cutting-fire-regulations-6713967/