Grenfell tower tragedy

Dr Gloom

That reminds me the local posh supermarket is now stocking this little beauty.

''Made in Rhyl by the Snowdonia Cheese Company, this is a fiery, red-wax-coated Red Leicester made from pasteurised milk with chillies and crushed pepper. The company also makes a fantastic black-wax-coated mature cheddar called Little Black Bomber, and a creamy cheddar with garlic and herbs called Green Thunder.''

http://www.visitwales.com/~/media/20db93a0820b480c800c6906ab8ba98f.ashx?h=361&la=en&w=642

http://www.visitwales.com/things-to-do/attractions/food-and-drink/welsh-cheese

Edited by Park Life

16 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Surely they should have been aware of the social housing element before buying. If it wasn't the residents of Grenfell then it would have been other low-income residents moving in anyway.

Yeah but they'd have been 'heavily vetted'

600 possible towers have this cladding

600!

The original cost between the cladding on Grenfell and a known safer option was £5k allegedly.  £5k.  Thats £5k in an £8.2m build.  

200 towers in Birmingham are getting sprinkler systems at a cost of £31m.

Fuck me. 

If 600 towers have it, and it is dangerous but has been approved by government regulations, then the fault for this lies with the government, and it is the government who should reimburse everyone for the costs of fixing it. That's what the businesses will argue at least.

1 minute ago, Rayvin said:

If 600 towers have it, and it is dangerous but has been approved by government regulations, then the fault for this lies with the government, and it is the government who should reimburse everyone for the costs of fixing it. That's what the businesses will argue at least.

The industry is a joke.  All a QS does is looking at £s and ps on a sheet.  There is no thought in how a building goes together, the longevity of a building etc.

When I first started we did some great looking buildings and it was superb.  Now its fucking shit.  Pressure from contractors on a daily basis.  You ask for an extra 0.1% of a fee for a change and you get told to get fucked more or less.  Architects get all the fee and all the glory and do FUCK ALL nowadays.

Just now, wykikitoon said:

The industry is a joke.  All a QS does is looking at £s and ps on a sheet.  There is no thought in how a building goes together, the longevity of a building etc.

When I first started we did some great looking buildings and it was superb.  Now its fucking shit.  Pressure from contractors on a daily basis.  You ask for an extra 0.1% of a fee for a change and you get told to get fucked more or less.  Architects get all the fee and all the glory and do FUCK ALL nowadays.

That's where society has ended up in a number of areas I think, but interesting to hear that there's been such a noticeable shift. Over what period of time? (i.e. when did you first start)

I first started as a junior 19 years ago.  The noticeable shift probably started about 8 years ago.

I worked at a company where we did QE hospital in Birmingham.  It was a c£600m contract (Cant remember the full build cost) and that was probably the last job where the contractor was very good.  We needed to put some retaining walls in.  QS said it was too expensive and we needed a work around.  Contractor in the meeting told the QS to shove it as it would save 2 weeks on programme due to the easier way of constructing it.  Yes the cost initially was a lot but 2 weeks on programme dwarfed that.

You dont get that any more.  Contractors are wanting profit in such a competitive market and they're under so much pressure and as a result they now have more power than us lot.  They expect us to have designs done before the architect has done their bit.  Its a fucked system.

If I could make money elsewhere that I do now, I would leave.  But I would have to retrain and therefore drop wage, which I dont want to nor really can afford if I want to continue living my lifestyle I have now.

yeah totally understandable for you personally. Sounds like the change came in with the financial crisis then? Makes sense I suppose, but if so, it's definitely been supported and encouraged by Tory austerity drives.

Edited by Rayvin
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rayvin said:

yeah totally understandable for your personally. Sounds like the change came in with the financial crisis then? Makes sense I suppose, but if so, it's definitely been supported and encouraged by Tory austerity drives.

Very much.  We also have a system called BIM in the industry which is now mandatory on all government projects.  Contractors and clients have a very poor understanding of this and think it makes everything quicker and easier to do on a whole.

The take up of BIM has been shocking tbf. I work as client, principle designer with regards to CDM and occasionally as main contractor and the levels of "value engineering" are unbelievable, added to the general poor levels of construction knowledge from people like QS' and you are in for a shit show.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, strawb said:

The take up of BIM has been shocking tbf. I work as client, principle designer with regards to CDM and occasionally as main contractor and the levels of "value engineering" are unbelievable, added to the general poor levels of construction knowledge from people like QS' and you are in for a shit show.

Yep.

Ve is one of the fucking worse things ever.  I assume that's whats happened with this cladding.

I have done so many jobs in the past few years that you get it at Stage 2 and you can just look at drawings and say 'Thats going, thats going, that wont happen, that will get moved' because you just know its "too expensive" to do.  Even for simple houses!

2 hours ago, wykikitoon said:

Yep.

Ve is one of the fucking worse things ever.  I assume that's whats happened with this cladding.

I have done so many jobs in the past few years that you get it at Stage 2 and you can just look at drawings and say 'Thats going, thats going, that wont happen, that will get moved' because you just know its "too expensive" to do.  Even for simple houses!

Yeah that's my thinking too with regards the cladding.

We have a QS who is straight from her qualifications, she didn't add any safety equipment to her prelims on a job last week... Aye alright love, we will build a four story apartment block with no scaffolding, lift all the precast by hand, nee bother..

Architects are just as bad like you say, they create this drawing with bells and whistles that wipes your arse for you and the client thinks they can have it all for their £3 million budget, then when things obviously have to be removed to hit budget the MC get it in the neck. The MC who can't afford to drop out of tendering because they are still waiting on payment for a job finished last year and need the money to pay staff.

2 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

The Daily Mail doesn't even try to disguise it's hatred of the poor/foreigners these days

Someone needs to sneak a picture of the Prophet Mohammed onto their printing press.

The one good thing about that kind of coverage is that it seems more and more like the last gasp of a dying style. I mean, papers aren't long for the world as a news source anyway but more and more people just simply reject that kind of rhetoric. I imagine most of it is purely fuelled by the desire to get trending on social media tbh

3 hours ago, Christmas Tree said:

Quite unbelievable. Over 1000 fire doors missing from the Camden tower blocks. 

Missing as in never put in of missing as in damaged and never replaced or missing as in nicked? 

19 minutes ago, strawb said:

I find that pretty hard to believe, we own loads of high rises and they are inspected yearly by the fire service. 

Aye that's my thoughts especially for sign off.

9 hours ago, wykikitoon said:

Missing as in never put in of missing as in damaged and never replaced or missing as in nicked? 

When I initially heard it I assumed it was the sort of glass/wire type doors that are between landings, however they might be talking about flat doors where the tennant has changed from a fire door to a normal door???

not too sure.

They should just pull the all the fuckers down.

• 2 weeks later...