what's wrong with our club

Dr Gloom

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Shepherd partly for appointing that idiot and sacking SBR at the wrong time (although can't argue with the funds he gives out)

Souness for being just an idiot

Douglas Hall for being the parasite waste of manfat that he is

84139[/snapback]

Things are 20 times better than they were before Shepherd and the Halls mate. Before 1992 Jim Smith was our 8th EIGHTH choice of manager in 1988, even fuckwits such as Souness wouldn't have looked at us, all we were was a stepping stone for managers AND players, even Geordies.

84151[/snapback]

That my friend is very true, but as i only started supporting the Toon since Ossie was in charge as i was only bout 7 at the time i can't really state that, but when you look back it's clearly alot better with the club nearly going bust n such and it must have been shocking having to see the likes of Pedro, Waddle, Gazza all going onto pastures new

84194[/snapback]

that is true mate, and if you look at that and around at other chairman at other clubs we could do a lot lot worse than Shepherd in spite of his faults, for a start not many people would be prepared to put up the amount of money it would take to buy out Shepherd without wanting a say in the club and they couldn't do better regarding backing managers with cash, an area where Shepherd has excelled in.

He has only appointed one manager that supporters generally weren't happy with, and even then some backed him as we have seen on this message board.

84304[/snapback]

:huh: .....couldnt resist!

Basically the cash should have been made available whoever was in charge cos it's been there to dole out. Some Chairmen might not have but that doesnt make FF God Almighty for having actually done it.

Re everything else, he's a PR disaster who brings the club into disrepute and brings standards down generally. He makes us look like a laughing stock with his soundbites and undermines the managers that he does bring in in the process. He's weak in all the areas where you need a chairman to be strong.

84307[/snapback]

agreed. he's an embarrasment.

his only redeeming feature is that he backs his managers with cash. but if the money is there, he should be doing exactly that... especially considering how much he leeches off the club. it's not as if he's putting his hand in his own pocket and personally financing transfers.

a good chairman would do exactly that right now. even though souness has to go, it's obvious we're short on squad players. if we don't sign anyone (which is looking increasingly likely) before the transfer window closes, and we don't sack souness, we're in real danger of going down.

freddie is playing a dangerous game with the club's future now. he backed souness to the hilt in the summer. now he doesn't want to pay him off or sign any new players for the sake of a few million. it could cost us a lot more if we're relegated.

Were supporters generally happy with Gullit and Daglish like? News to me.

84310[/snapback]

I think they were when we first employed them. I was delighted with Dalglish but not Gullit personally.

84310[/snapback]

I think they were when we first employed them. I was delighted with Dalglish but not Gullit personally.

84319[/snapback]

aye - i'd go along with that. both arrived with big reputations. shame that both failed miserably like.

Shepherd partly for appointing that idiot and sacking SBR at the wrong time (although can't argue with the funds he gives out)

84139[/snapback]

Things are 20 times better than they were before Shepherd and the Halls mate. Before 1992 Jim Smith was our 8th EIGHTH choice of manager in 1988, even fuckwits such as Souness wouldn't have looked at us, all we were was a stepping stone for managers AND players, even Geordies.

84151[/snapback]

That my friend is very true, but as i only started supporting the Toon since Ossie was in charge as i was only bout 7 at the time i can't really state that, but when you look back it's clearly alot better with the club nearly going bust n such and it must have been shocking having to see the likes of Pedro, Waddle, Gazza all going onto pastures new

84194[/snapback]

that is true mate, and if you look at that and around at other chairman at other clubs we could do a lot lot worse than Shepherd in spite of his faults, for a start not many people would be prepared to put up the amount of money it would take to buy out Shepherd without wanting a say in the club and they couldn't do better regarding backing managers with cash, an area where Shepherd has excelled in.

He has only appointed one manager that supporters generally weren't happy with, and even then some backed him as we have seen on this message board.

84304[/snapback]

Basically the cash should have been made available whoever was in charge cos it's been there to dole out. Some Chairmen might not have but that doesnt make FF God Almighty for having actually done it.

Re everything else, he's a PR disaster who brings the club into disrepute and brings standards down generally. He makes us look like a laughing stock with his soundbites and undermines the managers that he does bring in in the process. He's weak in all the areas where you need a chairman to be strong.

84307[/snapback]

agreed. he's an embarrasment.

his only redeeming feature is that he backs his managers with cash. but if the money is there, he should be doing exactly that... especially considering how much he leeches off the club. it's not as if he's putting his hand in his own pocket and personally financing transfers.

a good chairman would do exactly that right now. even though souness has to go, it's obvious we're short on squad players. if we don't sign anyone (which is looking increasingly likely) before the transfer window closes, and we don't sack souness, we're in real danger of going down.

freddie is playing a dangerous game with the club's future now. he backed souness to the hilt in the summer. now he doesn't want to pay him off or sign any new players for the sake of a few million. it could cost us a lot more if we're relegated.

84317[/snapback]

Agree with both you and the Manc, Shepherd's performance, especially recently, has been abysmal and might end up destroying the club. Not that that stops him paying himself and the Halls huge salaries and dividends like. Hardly performance related pay, is it?

To condone Shepherd because he is superior to Chairmen in a bygone football age is patently absurd imo. We are the second best supported club in the league and one of the richest, and failing miserably. As chief honcho, the blame lies ultimately with Shepherd.

Personally I think what we need more than anything else for the long-term future of this club is a proffesional chief executive who can make the important football decisions. I won't hold my breath as long as the Shepherds and Halls are still at NUFC though.

84310[/snapback]

84319[/snapback]

I know, I was being facetious tbh, my point is, so fuck! They were both miserable failures chosen by Shepherd. If the majority of fans were happy to see Souness arrive but we were in the exact same state we are in now, would it make it a good appointment? The value of each of Shepherd's appointments should be judged on where they took the club, rather than what the fans thought of them when they first arrived. Most fans (at most clubs) are fuckwits anyway.

84310[/snapback]

84319[/snapback]

I know, I was being facetious tbh, my point is, so fuck! They were both miserable failures chosen by Shepherd. If the majority of fans were happy to see Souness arrive but we were in the exact same state we are in now, would it make it a good appointment? The value of each of Shepherd's appointments should be judged on where they took the club, rather than what the fans thought of them when they first arrived. Most fans (at most clubs) are fuckwits anyway.

84332[/snapback]

In LM's world, opinions on any and everyone to do with Newcastle United have to be formed the very day they arrive. (He gets it right EVERY TIME by the way). Anyone who was happy with Dalglish and Gullit the day they were appointed has no right of recourse with the Chairman now. You made your bed, now lie in it etc.

:huh:

84310[/snapback]

84319[/snapback]

84332[/snapback]

In LM's world, opinions on any and everyone to do with Newcastle United have to be formed the very day they arrive. (He gets it right EVERY TIME by the way). Anyone who was happy with Dalglish and Gullit the day they were appointed has no right of recourse with the Chairman now. You made your bed, now lie in it etc.

:huh:

84336[/snapback]

of course, rather than use hindsight ? Have you never heard of making a decision and having the courage of your convictions.

You can't criticise a decision you were happy with yourself .... seems only correct and right to me anyway

On the other hand I can criticise those who were dumb enough to say give Souness time to be successful because as you say, I got it right !

of course, rather than use hindsight ? Have you never heard of making a decision and having the courage of your convictions.

You can't criticise a decision you were happy with yourself .... seems only correct and right to me anyway

On the other hand I can criticise those who were dumb enough to say give Souness time to be successful because as you say, I got it right !

84344[/snapback]

Ultimately though, the buck stops with Shepherd. He got Gullit wrong, he got Dalglish wrong, and now he's got Souness wrong. That fans may or may not have been happy with those appointments is irrelevant. The mistake is Shepherd's, nobody else's.

84139[/snapback]

84151[/snapback]

84194[/snapback]

84304[/snapback]

84307[/snapback]

2001-02 In Out

========= ===

Quinn 800,000 Beherall 150,000

O’Brien 2,000,000

Bellamy 6,000,000

Robert 9,500,000

Jenas 5,000,000

2002 – 03 In Out

========= ===

Bramble 5,000,000 Green 150,000

Viana 8,500,000

Woodgate 9,000,000

Amrose 1,000,000

2003 – 04 In Out

========= ===

Nil Cort 2,000,000

Solano 1,500,000

2004 – 05 In Out

========= ===

Milner 5,000,000 Lua Lua 1,750,000

Butt 2,500,000 Speed 750,000

Carr 2,000,000 Woodgate 13,000,000

Souness In Souness Out

======== ==========

Boumsong 8,000,000 Bellamy 4,500,000

Faye 2,000,000 O’Brien 1,500,000

Parker 6,000,000 Hughes 1,500,000

Emre 4,000,000 Jenas 7,000,000

Owen 16,000,000

Luque 9,500,000

42m out and 300,000 in before summer 2003, and you think we should have shelled out more millions.......get real

Edited by LeazesMag

84139[/snapback]

84151[/snapback]

84194[/snapback]

84304[/snapback]

84307[/snapback]

2001-02 In Out

========= ===

O’Brien 2,000,000

Bellamy 6,000,000

Robert 9,500,000

Jenas 5,000,000

2002 – 03 In Out

========= ===

Viana 8,500,000

Woodgate 9,000,000

Amrose 1,000,000

2003 – 04 In Out

========= ===

Nil Cort 2,000,000

Solano 1,500,000

2004 – 05 In Out

========= ===

Souness In Souness Out

======== ==========

Owen 16,000,000

Luque 9,500,000

42m out and 300,000 in before summer 2003, and you think we should have shelled out more millions.......get real

84347[/snapback]

Erm.....no. I dont believe I said that either. Hope you didnt reproduce those stats just for me???

I simply said that the money should have been made available regardless of which chairman was at the helm, so I refuse to deify FF for simply approving the spending. As someone else pointed out, we're the second best supported club in the land (attendances). Our revenues are massive

What gnarls me is that FF's antics etc all too often undermine this massive investment turning it (in many cases) into a waste of money. When he says things that undermine the club (personal scandals etc/slagging other clubs managers) and the manager (buying his own players etc.) then he fucks things right up for us.

Why can't he make the money available and shut the fuck up? I'm fed up of hearing about the fat bastard. Press love this club and its for a reason.

First one being a few season's ago when Robson was in charge and all he was allowed to bring in over the summer was Lee Bowyer on a free when we were in a strong position to challenge for trophies and keep the momentum going from the previous season, we've been in decline ever since.

84233[/snapback]

That was the biggest fuck up of recent times. Not building on that momentum.

Since we blew the C.L qualifyer against Belgrade in the summer of 2003 we have been sliding backwards. I honestly think we would still be a top five club now if we'd won that tie.

The more times you make it to the C.L, the easier it is to stay there thanks to the increase in money and profile making it easier to attract top class players. If we had qualified two years running we could have build up quite a cushion between us and the also-rans but it wasn't to be :huh:

First one being a few season's ago when Robson was in charge and all he was allowed to bring in over the summer was Lee Bowyer on a free when we were in a strong position to challenge for trophies and keep the momentum going from the previous season, we've been in decline ever since.

84233[/snapback]

Since we blew the C.L qualifyer against Belgrade in the summer of 2003 we have been sliding backwards. I honestly think we would still be a top five club now if we'd won that tie.

The more times you make it to the C.L, the easier it is to stay there thanks to the increase in money and profile making it easier to attract top class players. If we had qualified two years running we could have build up quite a cushion between us and the also-rans but it wasn't to be :huh:

84358[/snapback]

True, but the rot was just settling in even before that tie. Robson didn't continue building the team - whether this was because Shepherd wouldn't spend or he was resting on his laurels I am uncertain. My first concerns came though when he started bleating on about how we had improved our league position, from 4th to 3rd, when to me we clearly weren't playing as well as the previous year, and we actually finished with less points. The humilaiting 6-2 defeat by ManU at the end of the season should have been the warning we needed, but Robson didn't take heed. The rest, as they say, is history.

84358[/snapback]

I agree.....

Shearer missing that penalty too..... you could feel the life drain out of the club that night

Edited by Asprilla's foreskin

Aye, you have to remember that we didn't have a big ground and fan base till about 14 years ago. Before that we had a wind tunnel and 20,000 averages for a good 10 years. Oh yeah, and no money. Still, it's no excuse for whats going on now. Sir John Hall turned us into a 'proper' big club and we haven't built on that good work imo. We've stood still.

84156[/snapback]

Life didn't start with John Hall. May be wrong but our biggest attendance was in the fifties 60k plus, against Chelsea I think. Fan base has always been there, reason the attendances were low was the dross that was served up, back to my original point, poor managment over many years, but hey thats the past nowt to do with anything thats happening today, Eh, Alex?

84192[/snapback]

I'm not quite sure what you're getting at, are you suggesting that mismanagement in the past exonerates Shepherd of blame for the present? How long's he been running the show now?

84193[/snapback]

Point i'm getting at is highlighted above. Shepherd is only the latest in a line. John Hall being the exception. Where shepherd is concerned other than a spell in bobbies tenure we have vastly underachieved Dalglish, Gullit Souness all failed. The only constant throughout is Shepherd. That makes him a failure as a football chairmen, Good business man, but failed football chairman. Strangely I think part of it is not actually his fault, Financially, he is hamstrung in doing what The halls need out of this club, i.e. money to prop up their failed businesses rather.

Aye, you have to remember that we didn't have a big ground and fan base till about 14 years ago. Before that we had a wind tunnel and 20,000 averages for a good 10 years. Oh yeah, and no money. Still, it's no excuse for whats going on now. Sir John Hall turned us into a 'proper' big club and we haven't built on that good work imo. We've stood still.

84156[/snapback]

Life didn't start with John Hall. May be wrong but our biggest attendance was in the fifties 60k plus, against Chelsea I think. Fan base has always been there, reason the attendances were low was the dross that was served up, back to my original point, poor managment over many years, but hey thats the past nowt to do with anything thats happening today, Eh, Alex?

84192[/snapback]

I'm not quite sure what you're getting at, are you suggesting that mismanagement in the past exonerates Shepherd of blame for the present? How long's he been running the show now?

84193[/snapback]

Point i'm getting at is highlighted above. Shepherd is only the latest in a line. John Hall being the exception. Where shepherd is concerned other than a spell in bobbies tenure we have vastly underachieved Dalglish, Gullit Souness all failed. The only constant throughout is Shepherd. That makes him a failure as a football chairmen, Good business man, but failed football chairman. Strangely I think part of it is not actually his fault, Financially, he is hamstrung in doing what The halls need out of this club, i.e. money to prop up their failed businesses rather.

84365[/snapback]

So, when I blamed Shepherd, you were agreeing with me? I'm confused tbh.

We aren't talking about the past we talking about the present, I blame Shepherd.

84153[/snapback]

Didn't disagree with you for a second about shepherd mate, it was your comment about the past. My original post was about how we have underachieved for so long, I personally think its relative as theres a virtually continuous thread of poor management at the club shepherd is just the current version.

If you remember though, the pre-season we brought in no-one except Bowyer for nowt was also the time when Leeds were going tits up massively. I firmly believe that Shepherd and the board shit themselves, and after discussions with Robson both parties believed the squad was good enough to progress in the CL. The plan was that Bowyer would cost us nowt and would be a vauable addition, whilst we'd be able to use the CL money to bring players in at January. Unfortunately, the board at this club seems to lack a Plan B and we've gone tits up ever since.

We aren't talking about the past we talking about the present, I blame Shepherd.

84153[/snapback]

Didn't disagree with you for a second about shepherd mate, it was your comment about the past. My original post was about how we have underachieved for so long, I personally think its relative as theres a virtually continuous thread of poor management at the club shepherd is just the current version.

84368[/snapback]

Ah right! I agree. :huh:

So many questions and very few answers I'm afraid. But look on the bright side, at least the Steelers are in the Super Bowl.

84143[/snapback]

Yes the Steelers made it. The interesting thing about that is that they kept the same coach for 15 years despite them being awful for large periods of that time.

The club owner believes in stability.........

Newcastle United, 5 coaches in 10 years. :huh:

84280[/snapback]

Right, so you still want to keep Souness then do you. Stability is a good thing only if the set up is right to begin with, but this seems to be a concept you have difficulty in understanding.

84289[/snapback]

Did I say that?

Stability would have been making sure Keegan did not leave and building on the 2nd place by NOT selling Ferdinand, but strengthening the squad.

In more recent times the same thing could have been applied to SBR. Replacing SBR with Souness was a step down, so the sacking of SBR was crazy. Oh yes and we again FAILED to build on the squad that got in to the CL qualifiers, keeping our powder dry I recall.

On both occasions the board were happy with 2/3/4th finishes and failed to build still further.

So in a nutshell, the board is SHITE. FS and co want to just do enough to keep us interested, no more. That includes transfers and the sacking of managers, just to keep us "happy" but never achieving much in the long run. Thats the way that they can maximise their "return on investment".

Edited by NewJerseyMag

So many questions and very few answers I'm afraid. But look on the bright side, at least the Steelers are in the Super Bowl.

84143[/snapback]

Yes the Steelers made it. The interesting thing about that is that they kept the same coach for 15 years despite them being awful for large periods of that time.

The club owner believes in stability.........

Newcastle United, 5 coaches in 10 years. :huh:

84280[/snapback]

Right, so you still want to keep Souness then do you. Stability is a good thing only if the set up is right to begin with, but this seems to be a concept you have difficulty in understanding.

84289[/snapback]

Did I say that?

Stability would have been making sure Keegan did not leave and building on the 2nd place by NOT selling Ferdinand, but strengthening the squad.

In more recent times the same thing could have been applied to SBR. Replacing SBR with Souness was a step down, so the sacking of SBR was crazy.

But, the fans want sackings so sackings they get. The fans wanted SBR out so thats what they got.

84407[/snapback]

We weren't going anywhere under Robson though; the man was too old, stibborn and old-fashioned. We were right to try somebody new imo; the trouble is Shepherd did it the worst possible way imaginable, sacking him 4 games into the season without a replacement. Nice to see you're implying it's the fans fault as usual btw. :search:

I'm all for stability with the right manager, but it's a balance. Look at Liverpool. They had had success under Houlier, and finished above us to qualify for the Champions League. Yet they still knew it was the right time to get rid of Houlier, and haven't looked back since. Now look at the difference between us.

84344[/snapback]

Ultimately though, the buck stops with Shepherd. He got Gullit wrong, he got Dalglish wrong, and now he's got Souness wrong. That fans may or may not have been happy with those appointments is irrelevant. The mistake is Shepherd's, nobody else's.

84345[/snapback]

The vast majority of supporters thought he had Gullit and Dalglish right. It isn't irrelevant to point this out at all, it means if someone thinks Shepherd is a dumb cunt then they must be too especially if you think he should have foresight that you yourself don't possess.

I can see in Gemmills world, he is never wrong, he's just allowed to change his mind, use hindsight or look into the future..if only

The whole stability thing is absolutely nonsense IMHO. Successful managers who match the club's ambition stay, those who are not doing what they are expected to do get the sack.

Just one example from Jormany. Bayern München between 1991 and 1998 had nine (!) managers. They tried it with success and experience (e.g. Rehhagel), youth (Lerby) or the foreign bloke (Trapattoni). Whenever they noticed that it does not worked out the manager got the sack.

The same is with Newcastle. It isn't just the trophy everybody is lasting for that is making the club difficult to magage. Those managers who find it difficult are just shifting the blame because they were crap. That's why Keegan and Robson staid for several years. Both were successful. On the other hand Dalglish, Gullitt and now Souness were/are disasters. It's not a sign of instability to sack crap managers or managers who doesn't fit in.

84139[/snapback]

84151[/snapback]

84194[/snapback]

84304[/snapback]

84307[/snapback]

2001-02 In Out

========= ===

O’Brien 2,000,000

Bellamy 6,000,000

Robert 9,500,000

Jenas 5,000,000

2002 – 03 In Out

========= ===

Viana 8,500,000

Woodgate 9,000,000

Amrose 1,000,000

2003 – 04 In Out

========= ===

Nil Cort 2,000,000

Solano 1,500,000

2004 – 05 In Out

========= ===

Souness In Souness Out

======== ==========

Owen 16,000,000

Luque 9,500,000

84347[/snapback]

Erm.....no. I dont believe I said that either.

you said, "Basically the cash should have been made available"

Hope you didnt reproduce those stats just for me???

no they are everyone who doesn't realise how much money we had spent to qualify fir the CL. It never ceases to amaze me how many people seem to think we have a bottomless pit of money, courtesy of managers that they "back" wasting millions.

I simply said that the money should have been made available regardless of which chairman was at the helm, so I refuse to deify FF for simply approving the spending. As someone else pointed out, we're the second best supported club in the land (attendances). Our revenues are massive

What gnarls me is that FF's antics etc all too often undermine this massive investment turning it (in many cases) into a waste of money. When he says things that undermine the club (personal scandals etc/slagging other clubs managers) and the manager (buying his own players etc.) then he fucks things right up for us.

what has this got to do with the team finishing in the bottom half of the table and getting dragged into a relegation scrap ?

Why can't he make the money available and shut the fuck up? I'm fed up of hearing about the fat bastard. Press love this club and its for a reason.

84353[/snapback]

well I agree, but don't see what it has to do with the team winning or losing, the manager takes the rap or the credit for that